Join Early Retirement Today

Baths/tubs
Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Baths/tubs

I thought I'd be taking baths rather than showers when I FIREd, at least some of the time, since I have the time and am devoting my life to relaxation. But it hasn't happened. Just used to showers, easier to wash hair in a shower, and as I remember them, after the first few minutes, the water gets tepid, etc.

But DH took a bath because he needed to soak after a medical procedure. He did not enjoy it and looked kind of pitiful in the tub, very cramped (and he's not that big, almost six feet and 158 pounds).

Recently when we were touring 55+ communities, I was amazed at how many had garden tubs. I thought it was kind of weird, since older people can have difficulty getting in and out of tubs, but they all had separate showers as well, and most of these communites were geared to very active seniors in their fifties and sixties, rather than seventies and eighties. And I thought it was just another luxury that was so unnecessary. But now after seeing him in the tub (I assume it's a standard size tub), I'm wondering what's going on. Did our expectations and standards become so big that a regular tub doesn't seem sufficient? Is it because in movies and TV shows, when people are shown bathing, it's in a big/garden tub that makes it look so much better than a builder-grade tub? (And does anyone in real life really light all those candles that they show when someone is bathing?)

And for those with bigger/garden tubs, do you use them a lot?
Just curious. My current home could not accommodate one, nor should I even be thinking about baths in Atlanta's severe drought!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have preferred showers to bathing, for the past 30 years, for the reasons you have touched on.

When I retire, I would like a large, luxurious shower. As I browse the real estate websites, looking at homes in Missouri (my planned ER location), I drool over the occasional huge shower but the big garden tubs do nothing for me. I do recognize that I would need at least one tub of some kind for resale, so I am pretty much limited to 2-bathroom houses even though there is only one of me.

I think that the large garden tubs or jacuzzi tubs are probably easier for older people to get into and out of, than are standard tubs. Those of us that have long legs have been griping about standard tubs since we were teens. Also, these larger tubs do evoke Hollywood-style images of bubble baths, champagne, soft music, candlelight, elegant leisure, and fabulous sex (none of which are guaranteed when you get the tub!).

I have never had one. However, I have lit candles when in a standard tub (in my youth), only to find that the wax dripped all over the sink and floor. Enough candlelight to see by is pretty expensive, so if I felt the need for candlelight in the tub now, I would probably just install a dimmer switch instead.

Actually what I would rather have than candlelight is a BRIGHTLY lit shower so that I could see the dirt better! I am working on that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #3

House came with a separate shower and jetted tub, like a garden tub design. Standard for the neighborhood. I use the tub about 2-3 times/year and rarely the jets (second floor and it is loud). Definately awkward to get into and out of. If I ever redo the bath, it will definately be a different configuration, but will likely have some type of tub option -even though I don't know any one who regulalry uses them, they are valuable for resale value - go figure.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have a large claw-foot tub in my 1910 apt. I started using it every morning about a year ago to help a knee injury--it seems to work. I just start the water running at the same time I'm making the first morning rounds of getting up, putting the water on for coffee, opening the shades, etc. For me, this is actually quicker than taking a shower as when I go to shower, I have to wait for the water to warm up enough to hop in. That old tub is large enough and contoured so that it really fits me and would probably be okay for those who are larger than my 5'7". It does take a little getting used to another routine; I use a coffee mug to pour water over my hair--reminds me of old movie westerns. The new landlord is providing enough heat so I can add really hot water if I want to stay in the tub.

I used to go to a hotel gym that had a huge bath tub; in the three years I went there, I saw it in used only once; but people seem to like the saunas and pool whirlpools--I'd love to live in a place with those amenitites.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Brother remodeled
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Brother remodeled

and removed all tubs. Just not very functional. Instead has an outdoor spa. Always ready, always the right temperature, plenty of room, plenty of bubbles. Makes tubs a quaint historical artifact.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our apartment in our building had a small bathroom. We took out the tub and put in a big shower. Don't miss the tub at all and as it is rental property anyway it probably did not adversely effect the value. And I don't have a gross bathtub to clean. How do you clean those huge jetted tubs anyway?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

In my last house I had a huge soaking tub .Loved It ! Would soak in there with bubble bath and a glass of wine .They are a little tough to get into and out of plus with tile floors it's a hip fracture waiting to happen.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had the (small) tub removed about 10 years ago and now have a large shower. I hadn't used it in years, and with the arthritis, did not see ever using it again.

People kept telling me: "You don't want to do that; it will hurt the resale value." So? The place isn't worth much to start with, I've been here 30 years and probably will be for at least 10 more; and I don't want a tub.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Previous owner of our home (who we learned had several back surgeries) installed a Pearl tub, a custom built true whirlpool tub -- it's different from the Jacuzzi-type tubs with the multiple nozzle jets. When we first moved in, I thought "what a waste of money...I'll never use it."

Then I hurt my back. Nothing short of physical therapy comes close to the relief I get from relaxing in this tub. Simply heavenly!

And here's the instructions that came with the tub on sanitizing it:
There is a simple monthly procedure to follow to keep the plumbing system clean. Set air control knobs to the closed position. Fill the tub with hot water to at least two inches above the highest jet.
Add two tablespoons of low sudsing automatic dishwasher detergent such as Calgonite or Cascade.
Operate whirlpool for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the water from the tub.
The following month, substitute 1/2 cup of household bleach for the detergent. Alternate these two cleaners each month.

(BTW, the first time our DD used the tub -- while we were out of the house -- she added bubble bath to the water. Definitely a bad idea)
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
(BTW, the first time our DD used the tub -- while we were out of the house -- she added bubble bath to the water. Definitely a bad idea)
Heh, did she have to climb out teh skylight?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not exactly, but the whirlpool created quite a tsunami before she was able to get out and turn the timer off! Then, she snapped a picture with her camera phone before she cleaned up the mess. We were out to dinner with friends when her pix message came in -- at first we couldn't figure out what we were looking at, it looked like fire-fighting foam all over the bathroom floor! When she didn't answer her cell phone (she was cleaning up, after all), we all hurried home -- not knowing what to expect! Oh well, another life lesson learned...........
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
How do you clean those huge jetted tubs anyway?
I have to climb in to reach across, have to be dressed/undressed just right...say no more. I don't like to clean by filling and running the jets - unless I have to since it uses/wastes tons of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Yea, did that the first time, too. I was in the tub. DH was scooping bubbles as fast as he could and dumping them in the shower. We were laughing hysterically. Reminded us of I Love Lucy and the candy factory.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

With the various old places we redid we had maybe 8 different old clawfoots to choose from - my 5'2" gal picked one with just the right slope to the back and that's the one in "her" bathroom. Every now and again i avail my 6'4" self of it for my back or shoulder - now and again fall asleep in it for a bit. Cannot figure the joy in it for general use. Knees sticking up in the air - laying the body down requires having the legs up out of the tub drying and cooling rapidly. Washing different bits requires contortions, and then you're swimming in the soapy water and what you are trying to wash off. Me for my big walk-in shower - no door. OTOH, she loves her tub, and i like that.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

When I retire, I would like a large, luxurious shower.
Will you be dancing around in the shower?

I think smaller is warmer.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Will you be dancing around in the shower?

I think smaller is warmer.
I suppose. My present shower is unusually small and dark, almost like a coffin! I don't even have room to wash under my arms without being a contortionist, or else my elbows hit the wall. (Nothing like hitting your funnybone on ceramic at 5:30 AM, ugh!). I put in a brighter lightbulb, and I am going to paint it a light color soon (it is now dark maroon, almost black, in color). That should help a little. But some day, I will have my dream shower:

I want room for one of those built-in benches or seats at one end. It would be easier to shave my legs and scrub my feet that way.

I also would like several shower heads and the whole works. I want LOTS of water spraying all over everywhere! I'll conserve elsewhere.

I want those one inch terra cotta tiles that feel so nice on my feet. I want lots of bright lights.

A nice shower can start your day out beautifully!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We put a bench in our big shower that can flip up. Basically use it for leg shaving.

If you are moving north, consider a heated floor in the bathroom, especially if you have a tile floor. Tile is cold!

Hey, W2R, how is the wallpaper tear off going? Or should I ask?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We put a bench in our big shower that can flip up. Basically use it for leg shaving.

If you are moving north, consider a heated floor in the bathroom, especially if you have a tile floor. Tile is cold!

Hey, W2R, how is the wallpaper tear off going? Or should I ask?
LOL!!! Don't ask! I got kind of stalled when my mother passed away. I need to get back to that! That's what's delaying painting the shower (though the inside of it is just paint, but I want it to match the rest of the room which is still needing more paper removal work).

Thanks for the tip on tile being cold. It never feels that way in New Orleans due to our climate here, but I hadn't thought about it feeling cold in Missouri. Heated tile sounded really nice, though.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Recently stayed in a hotel room with a heated bathroom floor. Delightful when wet and buck naked!

Love the bubble bath/jet stories..........reminds me of the time I put dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher...........imagine bubbles bursting out all over your kitchen!!!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
And for those with bigger/garden tubs, do you use them a lot?
Heck yeah.

Submariners take submarine showers-- turn on the water, get moist, turn off the water. Shampoo & soap up. Pray that the water is still available ("hot" is an unexpected bonus) while turning it on, rinse off as rapidly as possible, squeegee off your body, squeegee off the shower locker, and then dry your body. Sometimes you'd take two or maybe even three of them a week.

Anyone hearing water run in the shower for longer than 30 seconds would feel justified to rap on the door and encourage water conservation. Longer than a minute risked having someone shut off the supply valve. If the submarine encountered a counter-detection situation then the shower might be totally secured for the duration.

The shower cabinet was about two feet square and only a bit over six feet tall. It had a folding door to manuever around as you shut it, and the entire interior was corrosion-resistant stainless steel with a strong magnetic attraction for elbows & knees. Of course the submarine would randomly rock, roll, & change angles as you manuevered to try to stay under the water stream.

As I labored for bodily cleanliness in this situation, I repeatedly vowed that someday I'd have a stinkin' huge shower that I could spread out my arms in. So both of our Hawaii houses have had 4'x6' whirlpool tubs set up with a waterfall faucet spout, shower nozzles at a seven-foot height, and shower curtains. This includes the water jets & bubbles. When we're bathing, our current whirlpool tub even has an in-line heater to keep it a nice toasty 98-104 degrees...

The candles are for display purposes only, but there are enough of them to light our entire house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tub corner with curtain.JPG (172.7 KB, 9 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Administrator

Submarine showers. Yet another thing I don't miss at all.