Some athletic type stuff follows.* Being married (25+ yrs) with kids I no longer make a meaningfull contribution to the other interests of a single, 25 year old male.
- Run in Golden Gate Park or the Presidio.* (They have a group of nude roller bladers in GG Park on Sunday morning if he wants to get up early.* I was there once warming up for a 10k when they skated by.* Kind of got me psyched for the race*
- When in a new city I sometimes plot a "running tour" on the map and go out for an hour or two stopping at the various sites.* SF is a great place for that (or a walking tour) because it is very compact.* (I attemped to prove the ugly american tourist stero-type once*
and tryed to get into Notre Dame in only slightly sweaty running clothes but they stopped me at the door.)
- This may not be of interest if he is only there for a couple of days and wants to do the tourist stuff but SF is great city just to walk around and look at the different neighborhoods.
- If you want to continue the bike ride past the GG bridge, I recommend biking through Sausalito to Tiburon and taking the ferry to Angel Island.* You can take bikes on the ferry.* There is a dirt road that goes around the island but you can do it on a road bike.* Great views of the city.
- Mt Tam in Marin county is the supposed birth place of mountain biking if he is a mountain biker.* Unfortunately they have had to close most of the trails to mountain biking and I hear (I don't bike there) there has been something of a "war" going on between the bikers and the anti-bikers that has gotten bad enough that there has been booby traps set up for the bicyclists. (Such as wires strung across trails.* The bicyclists of course aren't innocent either.)
- If you go to Berkeley, I recommend taking BART.* The station is only a block from campus and every think is within walking distance and parking there is terrible.* * * *
- They used to have a place near the St Francis Hotel where you could get half price theater tickets starting at noon.* I assume they still do it.* DW worked in the city while I was in grad school and she would go down there at lunch and get tickets for us.
- Within a short drive you also have Napa, Monterey and Santa Cruz all of which are worth a day.
MB* * * * * * *