Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Besides the camera, for any long zoom shooting, she will also need to carry a tripod.
With modern image stabilization (IS) this isn't really true anymore. Current digital cameras with 4-5 stops of image stabilization can produce quite sharp handheld images even at longer focal lengths. I will admit that at the superlong lengths (>1000mm equivalent) even a good image stabilization system can benefit from some sort of support, but you might be surprised how well IS systems work these days. My wife never uses a tripod with her (up to) 1440mm B600 and gets sharp results at all focal lengths. At the longest lengths, though, she usually tries to steady her hands on something like a bench or fence post when shooting.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
... I'd be interested to know what the fantastic photographers on this site use, instead of a tripod, if anything.
Well, I don't know about "fantastic" but I use a monopod. Image stabilization is nice, but I belong to the school that believes there is no such thing as a camera that is too stable. Here's the setup in use, game drive in Africa Feb. 2020:

Monopod leg from Benro carbon tripod, Acratech SP ball head, Acratech lever lock Arca-Swiss clamp. A monopod is far more versatile and far less bulk than a tripod.

For the OP, don't worry about 'pods. If DW decides she is losing too many shots to instability, that will be the time to start shopping.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #23

Don't buy a DSLR (I have two of them), they are going obsolete. Buy a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses (I have two of them). The Panasonic GX85 is a nice compact solution with in body stabilization and can also shoot 4K video. It is often on special for $498 with two lenses. You can also buy a Canon M50 for about $400 on special with one kit lens. However, the video quality of the Canon does not compare to the Panasonic.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Start with something more compact with a built in lens in the $300-$400 range(used). If she gets bit by the bug and wants to move up, she will have some experience and can sell the old camera for not too much less than she got it for. You can get some very good photos from these cameras. I started that way, got bit by the bug, and $300-$400 is nothing. A fun hobby.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #25

OP here. Thank you all again VERY MUCH for all the input and valuable information. After reading all the posts and doing some more research online, I'm thinking a superzoom might be a better choice than a DSLR where you would need to buy additional expensive lenses to get the same zoom as a superzoom. I realize the quality of the photos may not be quite as good as a DSLR but from what I've read a superzoom will still take very good pics. I'm thinking something with a 30x+ zoom would be great for her needs, particularly birding photographs at a distance.

I've seen these cameras referred to as "bridge cameras" which I assume means bridging between a simple point and shoot and a more professional DSLR camera. So many choices out there.
CincyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Well, I don't know about "fantastic" but I use a monopod. Image stabilization is nice, but I belong to the school that believes there is no such thing as a camera that is too stable. Here's the setup in use, game drive in Africa Feb. 2020:
Monopod leg from Benro carbon tripod, Acratech SP ball head, Acratech lever lock Arca-Swiss clamp. A monopod is far more versatile and far less bulk than a tripod.

For the OP, don't worry about 'pods. If DW decides she is losing too many shots to instability, that will be the time to start shopping.
FWIW, I have a small, about 6 inches, Gorilla pod that screws into the socket on the bottom of my cameras. By grabbing the pod firmly with my left hand and the camera body with my right had, I get far less shake than any other hand-held method. If possible I use the flexibility of the Gorilla pod to brace the camera against a wall, pole or other stable object.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
... By grabbing the pod firmly with my left hand and the camera body with my right had, I get far less shake than any other hand-held method. If possible I use the flexibility of the Gorilla pod to brace the camera against a wall, pole or other stable object.
Bravo! There is no such thing as a camera that is too stable. I don't use a Gorillapod but when shooting sans monopod you will always find me braced against something unless there is absolutely nothing nearby including DW. If she is nearby, I'll use her shoulder as a support.

I am happy to have cameras and lenses that try to help stabilize the camera but I don't count on this at all when shooting. Anything I get from stabilization is a gift.

OP: Good luck with the superzoom. That is a nice category for the kind of shooting you mention, assuming your wife will actually carry a camera that big. As I said, mine won't. We have a photographer (woman) friend who sells a few pictures once in a while and after I showed her a Canon Powershot G9, she sold her big camera and now carries a Powershot -- everywhere.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #28

Thanks OldShooter. It looks like there are some compact superzooms out there. Sunset mentioned the Nikon a900 in post 2 which looks to be about the same size as the Cannon Powershot G9 but has a 35x zoom and goes for under $400. Thinking something along those lines would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Bravo! There is no such thing as a camera that is too stable. I don't use a Gorillapod but when shooting sans monopod you will always find me braced against something unless there is absolutely nothing nearby including DW. If she is nearby, I'll use her shoulder as a support.

I am happy to have cameras and lenses that try to help stabilize the camera but I don't count on this at all when shooting. Anything I get from stabilization is a gift.

OP: Good luck with the superzoom. That is a nice category for the kind of shooting you mention, assuming your wife will actually carry a camera that big. As I said, mine won't. We have a photographer (woman) friend who sells a few pictures once in a while and after I showed her a Canon Powershot G9, she sold her big camera and now carries a Powershot -- everywhere.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDave View Post
OP here. Thank you all again VERY MUCH for all the input and valuable information. After reading all the posts and doing some more research online, I'm thinking a superzoom might be a better choice than a DSLR where you would need to buy additional expensive lenses to get the same zoom as a superzoom. I realize the quality of the photos may not be quite as good as a DSLR but from what I've read a superzoom will still take very good pics. I'm thinking something with a 30x+ zoom would be great for her needs, particularly birding photographs at a distance.

I've seen these cameras referred to as "bridge cameras" which I assume means bridging between a simple point and shoot and a more professional DSLR camera. So many choices out there.
Yes, you are right about the term "bridge camera". I own a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 bridge camera (my profile picture of the moon was taken with that camera). Price was about $500 (I also have a few smaller cameras, including a Sony RX100 III... too many cameras ) . I think the bridge camera I have is 25x zoom. It covers the range 25mm - 600mm optical zoom. No changing lenses is great.

I brought the camera out to a baseball game a couple years ago. I was sitting about 20 rows back behind the right field line and still got some good shots of the batters and infield action zoomed in.

On that camera, I like to automatic mode (just point and shoot) and the ergonomics feels really good in my hands.

However, what I do not like is the manual focus. But many folks don't use manual focus so might be a non-issue.

With a bridge camera one of the tradeoffs to the convenience of single lens is smaller sensor. My bridge camera might struggle in low-light situations like if I was sitting in an auditorium in the stands during a graduation ceremony.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #30

Go for a mirrorless or advanced point and shoot. DSLR's are just too big to carry around. For bird photography, a compact mirrorless might be the way to go as long as you get an additional lens for the telephoto shots.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sunset mentioned the Nikon a900 in post 2 which looks to be about the same size as the Cannon Powershot G9 but has a 35x zoom and goes for under $400. Thinking something along those lines would work.
Don't get caught up in the 35X or 50X touted on some. Most are just digital zoom into the photo. Look at the sensor size in the camera. Bigger is better. Not pixels, but the physical size of the sensor. And look at the actual native focal length of the lens.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Don't get caught up in the 35X or 50X touted on some. Most are just digital zoom into the photo. Look at the sensor size in the camera. Bigger is better. Not pixels, but the physical size of the sensor. And look at the actual native focal length of the lens.
Thanks Dave J. The Nikon referenced above is actually 35 X optical zoom. And I've seen some cameras with up to 50 x optical zoom. I understand the digital zoom isn't really something you need to worry about. I have read that the larger sensor size does equate to better quality pictures. I guess it's a trade off between a large DSLR with a larger sensor and a more compact super zoom with a smaller sensor and what you want to carry around. That's why I'm leaning towards a compact superzoom. Smaller and not a lot of extra lenses and things to carry.

At the end of the day, it is still DW's decision. We do still plan to go to a camera shop and talk to someone and get some hands on time. At this point I've just researched online.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks Dave J. The Nikon referenced above is actually 35 X optical zoom. And I've seen some cameras with up to 50 x optical zoom. I understand the digital zoom isn't really something you need to worry about. I have read that the larger sensor size does equate to better quality pictures. I guess it's a trade off between a large DSLR with a larger sensor and a more compact super zoom with a smaller sensor and what you want to carry around. That's why I'm leaning towards a compact superzoom. Smaller and not a lot of extra lenses and things to carry.

At the end of the day, it is still DW's decision. We do still plan to go to a camera shop and talk to someone and get some hands on time. At this point I've just researched online.
I also have 60x Panasonic Lumix FZ80 bridge camera that I bought three years ago for about $270. It's a bit more bulky than a compact interchangeable lens mirrorless camera but it has incredible zoom capability. I made this video a few years back to give you and idea of the reach you have with this type of camera. If you are considering bridge cameras, buy one with a 1" sensor like the Lumix FZ1000 Mk1. They sell for under $500.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

freedon 56 gives good advise on going with a 1" sensor. Also, the Lumix FZ1000 MK 1 is a sound choice(has a 1" sensor), I owned one. The Nikon you mentioned has a 1/2.3 sensor, which is tiny. That is how they get the 35X. She would outgrow the Nikon in no time at all if a tiny bit serious. I may go back to a bridge camera when I get older. Good luck! Have fun.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The discussion of camera sensors has me doing some "Googling". Here is a chart of different sensor sizes for a frame of reference.

Quote:
Have you thought about what the “best” camera sensor size is? The importance of camera sensor size plays into choosing your manufacturer, lenses, bodies, and so much else about your photography! Some genres gain significant advantages when using one format over another. The general trend is larger is better but you might find some surprises below!

In this guide to understanding camera sensor size, I’ll be going over not only the most popular formats but how to make the best of them. We’ll look at everything from the sensor size of smartphones to medium format professional bodies and what each has to offer to your photography. Handy sensor size comparison charts will also give you a clearer picture of what you’re working with.
https://capturetheatlas.com/camera-sensor-size/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera sensor size comparison chart.jpg (78.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The secret about photography is there's no secret.

That said, there are techniques. First and foremost, take lots of pictures.

Second, frame the shot. Make sure that tower or lighthouse is plumb, the horizon is level, or you have some interesting parallax or whatever.

The huge advantage a "real" camera gives you over a cell phone is the ability to zoom. This can turn a boring landscape or crowded event into a clear shot of one structure or person. Be sure to get something with a half-decent, stabilized optical zoom.

Oh, and the other advantage is you'll be more likely to frame the shot the "right" way. I'm so tired of seeing narrow vertical photos because people don't realize they can turn their phones to "landscape" mode.
+1... I think photography is 90% technique and inspiration and 10% equipment. I"m big into iPhone photography and have about $700 invested in lens (telephoto
, macro, fisheye, anthropomorphic and wide angle) and other equipment. I like it because there are dozens of photo apps free or cheap that you can edit on your phone, tablet or desktop. I've attached a few of mine and I'm a beginner (evidenced by the horizon mistakes ) I'm just saying that these phones are incredible when paired with simple easy to learn editing apps. Good luck with your choices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0926.jpg (735.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (525.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.JPG (115.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4135.jpg (1.20 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0846.jpg (829.6 KB, 16 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #37

I love my Nikon D500 with its four great lenses, but the whole package including accessories fills a small backpack and is utterly impractical for most travel. Fantastic photos, though!

For travel purposes, I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix P950 (Yes, I've been a Nikon user since the Photomic FTN I bought in 1971). A marvelous compromise in all the important features IMHO and the 83x optical zoom is truly impressive. There are other similar cameras available, and I think the best bet for most people is to just go for the best point&shoot you can find.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #38

I wouldn't be so quick to steer a beginning photographer toward larger sensor sizes. They are indeed better for low light and depth of field control, but if you want to take a picture of something small and far away then small sensors (or more particularly, high pixel densities) are what you want.

Compare a compact camera with a relatively large 1" sensor and a mid-range max zoom length of 400mm (like the Lumix FZ1000 Mk1 mentioned above) with a high pixel density supezoom with a max focal length above 1000mm and unless you can fill the frame with your subject the longer zoom camera will take the better, more detailed, shot every time. The smaller focal length will lead you to cropping and enlarging to see detail in your subject and detail just falls apart when you do too much of that.

For general snapshots, for portraiture, for smooth noise-free landscapes then yes, go with a larger sensor - just not for bird photography.

PS.Google the term "pixels per duck" for volumes of discussion about why pixel density and long effective focal length are what you want in bird photography. I was part of some of these debates 10-15 years ago when I was *way* into bird photography.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I don't haul this around much, but I do take it hiking when I'm looking for some wildlife. Not too bad if I put it in a backpack for a while. But carrying the whole time it can get tough.

But I can't picture using a point and shoot or something similar for wildlife or landscapes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.34.54 PM.jpg (750.7 KB, 17 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #40

@Freedom56 – thanks for posting the video made with the Lumix FZ80. Looks like something from National Geographic. Really neat! That zoom is incredible. As I understand it with most of these cameras you can also make photos of any of the single frames in the video too, right?
So maybe a dumb question, but I’m just learning this stuff. If you can lift single images from the video, would there be a difference in image quality doing this vs using the burst mode on the camera?

@Freedom56 and @Dave J - Thanks for the advice on going with a larger sensor and @easysurfer, thanks for the link on sensors. Not sure I totally understand it all, but I plan to read it over again. Looks like larger image sensor is better for low light.

@Tailgate - Cool pics. Hard to believe those were from a cell phone. The guy in the black and white photo looks a little like Willie Nelson.

@braumeister - thanks for another option in the Coolpix 950. 83x zoom sounds incredible.

@stepford – Thanks for another perspective on sensor size. Something I definitely need to learn more about. I Googled "pixels per duck" but I’m too much a newb at this point to understand it all.

@Ronstar – Impressive rig! I don’t see DW with something like that though

So many good choices out there. Makes deciding tough. Thanks for all the input!