Being a lazy, procrastinating slob can lead to higher efficiency.

You can always clean up a mess later - it will be there waiting for you.

The fun you could have right now (instead of cleaning up) may not be able to be enjoyed later. Besides, the place will just be dirty again later. Why clean now?

I have always told DW that my extreme laziness is just a method of efficiency. For example, emptying the trash cans around the house every 9 days instead of every 7 days leads to 22% less trash emptying. Efficiency.

Problem: Dishes piling up while in bachelor mode
Solution: [-]Paper or plastic plates, cups and utensils.[/-]
Rinse, re-use, repeat...

For example, emptying the trash cans around the house every 9 days instead of every 7 days leads to 22% less trash emptying. Efficiency.
Around here, making that observation would result in me being 100% in charge of emptying the trash.

Early in our marriage, when I had no idea what I was getting into, I made a similar offhanded efficiency observation about dishwasher [-]packing[/-] loading. I've been in charge of dishwasher loading now for nearly 24 years.

At my wedding (33 years ago!) an elderly lady who was a friend of my late mother's sidled up to me and said, "Honey, I want to give you some words of advice. Whatever you start, you will be doing the rest of your life. Don't ever take out the trash or cut the grass."
Actually my husband was pretty good about partnering with chores except for cleaning and laundry. Overall, I think he did more than I as he maintained the house (I never had to change so much as a light bulb), cars, yard and did anything that was messy, potentially dangerous or involved heavy lifting.
In our later years together he did almost all the shopping and cooking, too, as he started work at the crack of dawn and got home mid-afternoon which was a couple of hours before I returned home. When I got in, he usually told me to sit down in the living room and relax, fetched me a glass of wine and brought over the papers and my mail. He didn't like to share the kitchen.

Don't ever take out the trash or cut the grass."
Ouch, that just described spouse.

I had a high-school job on a golf course, and I've cut enough grass to last a lifetime. She, however, spends most of her time finding ways to reduce the yard's grass square footage with ground cover & mulch. Everyone wins.

Most of what we used to throw out as "trash" is now compost/vermipost. So I guess I'm taking that out too.

Around here, making that observation would result in me being 100% in charge of emptying the trash.

Early in our marriage, when I had no idea what I was getting into, I made a similar offhanded efficiency observation about dishwasher [-]packing[/-] loading. I've been in charge of dishwasher loading now for nearly 24 years.

I'm already on trash duty. Somehow DW got stuck with dishes duty and I received trash duty. That's a big win for me. :D

But to appease DW, we just bought a new high(er) efficiency quiet dishwasher that actually cleans the dishes really well without having to pre-wash them. DW no longer minds doing the dishes as much. :D And the energy and water savings will probably pay for the DW (dishwasher) over its service life. Efficiency.

When it comes to housework, I admit I am totally a lazy, procrastinating slob. :blush: I have to psych myself up to get into it. If I had a little less pride, I'd hire someone to do the housework 24/7, but I feel that would be really just too lazy when I really am perfectly capable of doing it. So I do it...grudgingly...and pencil it in on the calendar.
The two rooms in my house that are always super clean are the kitchen and the bathroom, tho. For some reason, I cannot tolerate dirt there. Go figure?

You can always clean up a mess later - it will be there waiting for you.

The fun you could have right now (instead of cleaning up) may not be able to be enjoyed later. Besides, the place will just be dirty again later. Why clean now?

That was my way of doing things for many years while my family was still with me. I think it was mostly due to "it will just get dirty again right after I clean it"...so I gave up having a really nice clean house every week during that time. Things are a little different now tho. I know that if I clean something now that it will stay clean for awhile or not cluttered for awhile. It's the stress of having things messy that gets to me.

I have only been married for a couple of years.... but being older at least I had some smarts....

When my wife was loading the dishes... and I pointed out how she was doing it wrong... she said 'stay out of my business'.... I almost started to argue about it (and might have for a minute)... but it then dawned on me that since I did not want to do it.... I should just shut up...

But... I still screw up because of lack of experience.... the other day we were going out to eat with the family, sis, BIL, and mom.... my wife said something (can't remember what).... I said something back etc... but my BIL made a comment like "that comment is a sure sign of someone that has not been married to long"...

oooh...so THAT'S what happened when i made a comment while we were having sex. i thought she had just been too busy to join

:D

I do not care what happens when I am not around. The things that "need" to be done "my way" - well, I do them. It is nice to come home to a clean house though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom