Being shocked - shocked! - that an actress looks older

i think the huge weight gain has a lot to do with how different people look when they are older. Harrison Ford looks older but is recognizable while some actors/actresses kind of ballooned up in age like many of us. I was looking at old photos and my college photos from early 80's and work photos taken only 10 years ago - I look quite similar. I gained some weight after that and I now definitely look a whole lot more ... prosperous..

Last edited:
"Joanne, Is that you? You don't look a day over seventy." Peter Pan

Jeez, just look at recent pic of Brigitte Bardot.

The phrase "rode hard and put up wet" comes to mind.

I posted a similar point on the Star Wars thread. She admits to drug/alcohol issues over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

And so is Sophia Loren.

Both still quite stunning.

You made me curious again. On the Web, looking at the worst photos of both actresses I think Loren's look is better than Bardot's. Don't know about "stunning".

But for crying out loud, I don't know if I will be alive at 81, let alone worrying about my look. If I last till that age, I think I will have other things more important than my look to worry about.

And so is Sophia Loren.

Both still quite stunning.

Sophia has had good subtle work done.
She was over the top gorgeous to begin with of course, but she has been under the knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I posted a similar point on the Star Wars thread. She admits to drug/alcohol issues over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

She also has bipolar disorder and I assume is on meds which can definitely cause weight gain.

(I am a doctor but I don't play one on tv and I am also now retired, so this should not be construed as a medical opinion)

At this point I'm ready to shut off my FB feed, due to all my 60-ish female friends and relatives who are busy worshiping Carrie Fisher...

That said, how could anyone be so rampantly stupid that they would expect a 59-year-old actress to still look 21?

If it makes you feel better, my 30-something friends are all just thrilled she's back. Nobody has said a word about what she looks like. The biggest controversy surrounding her is how strong Leia is in the Force.

But Harrison Ford still looks hot! I don't care how old he gets.

Sophia has had good subtle work done.
She was over the top gorgeous to begin with of course, but she has been under the knife.

If the complaint about older women is that they don't look as good as they did when they were 25, then one can only say - that's a fact, and it applies to men as well.

If the complaint about older women is that at 81 they are not attractive, then, I give you two examples to counter the argument: Bridget Bardot and Sophia Loren. Whether or not they had work done is besides the point. Any person who tries to take care of their health and has a good outlook on life is attractive.

Those that criticize are missing something in their own lives.

- Rita

Just my opinion, but there are plenty of women (and men) who maintain their attractiveness as they age. They look older, yes, but are still sexy. Some age and look awful, yes. But some stay sexy. Examples: Helen Mirren stayed sexy until about 5 years ago, then wham, something happened. Last time I checked, Susan Sarandon was still hot. And plenty more I can't think of now.

Thank goodness that, for most of us, "looking hot" isn't one of our bigger priorities in life! Some of us never were to begin with. Others were, and lost it as we aged, while some were "hot", and still are as oldies. There are even those who look a bit wonky when young, and blossom as they age.

But to return to my original point, it's the character of a person that can be irresistibly attractive. The backhanded compliment, "she has a good personality" is really a bit odd when you think about it, because personality is actually far, far more important than mere looks.

In a vaguely related instance, I have a friend who is terribly concerned that, in her mid-40's, she is getting quite a lot of silver hairs. I happen to really like silver hair on women. You occasionally see quite young women whose hair has already begun to turn silver. I think it looks great. My friend hates it, so I let her know from time to time, that it looks good. She knows that I'm being sincere but of course, it's how she feels about herself that is the big determiner.

Last edited:
Inside the mind of every 50 year old man is an 18 year old kid that looks in the mirror and says "What the F Happened?"

Thank goodness that, for most of us, "looking hot" isn't one of our bigger priorities in life! Some of us never were to begin with. Others were, and lost it as we aged, while some were "hot", and still are as oldies. There are even those who look a bit wonky when young, and blossom as they age.

But to return to my original point, it's the character of a person that can be irresistibly attractive. The backhanded compliment, "she has a good personality" is really a bit odd when you think about it, because personality is actually far, far more important than mere looks.

Exactly! When I was young, I think I looked pretty hot (or at least hotter than now) but I didn't realize it then. "Youth is wasted on the young", as the saying goes. Despite being well educated, behind the prettier face at that age was a partial vacuum. I didn't yet have the life experiences that I have had by now. Not only was I empty headed and dumb about life, but also I was miserably unhappy and teenage hormones didn't help me to feel at all serene. I didn't yet quite know how to seize control of my life or what I wanted to do with it even if I did that.

Another old saying (I seem to be full of them this morning! :LOL:) is, "With age comes wisdom". I don't know that I am wise in an absolute sense, but I am sure wiser than I was in my teens. I have more perspective and experience. My 50's and 60's have been the very best decades of my life. So would I trade that to look hot? NO WAY. :D I hope that Carrie Fisher feels the same way (although I think she looks fine these days the way she is).

W2R, much of your wisdom is your own, for sure, even without the quotes that pepper your great posts.

That bit about not being serene when we were young, and the confidence that comes with age? Wonderful.

Thanks for your good perspective.

Reactions: W2R
Let's parse that caption.

"What the hell happened to her"? Haven't seen someone in 32 years? That's a typical reaction regardless of the other's age or sex because that's a lot of change to absorb in a moment. The man in the cartoon has had 32 years to know and accept what's happened to himself.

"Ugh" Mainstream movies and TV are cast with pretty people. The audience has been conditioned to expect it. Had this been a new character, it's unlikely Carrie Fisher would have been given an audition. It is what it is until people who want it different put up their own money to make movies.

I recently read about a first time TV show runner / head writer looking at head shots for the lead characters. When he got to the pile for the character with a description and type that included 'unattractive', he turned to the casting director and diplomatically asked why are you showing me pretty people? The casting director told him that in TV terms these are unattractive people.

I will not be seeing Star War until it appears as DVD at the local public library. But from Web photos, the recent Fisher does not look at all bad for that age. Some of her earlier photos taken before she shaped up for the role are something else. It's scary, is all I can say.

I will not be seeing Star War until it appears as DVD at the local public library. But from Web photos, the recent Fisher does not look at all bad for that age. Some of her earlier photos taken before she shaped up for the role are something else. It's scary, is all I can say.

Think Photoshop.

Inside the mind of every 50 year old man is an 18 year old kid that looks in the mirror and says "What the F Happened?"

And women too. Only everyone seems to criticize women for (gasp!) getting older. Personally, getting older beats the alternative.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom