Being shocked - shocked! - that an actress looks older

The technology will soon exist for a device that generates a cloaking/interference field, which, rather than reflecting light toward the viewer's eyes, would project/reflect light according to user-defined parameters, say George Clooney or Jennifer Aniston projections.

Until then, there's old technology: Alcohol

The technology will soon exist for a device that generates a cloaking/interference field, which, rather than reflecting light toward the viewer's eyes, would project/reflect light according to user-defined parameters, say George Clooney or Jennifer Aniston projections.

Until then, there's old technology: Alcohol

Oh hell yes.

This song's title reminds me of a funny exchange in a 1990s Law & Order episode:

Detective Profaci: "You goin' to Hanratty's later?"
Detective Lennie Briscoe (played by the late Jerry Orbach): "Gotta date."
Detective Profaci: "At midnight? You call that a date, Lennie?"
Detective Lennie Briscoe: "The later it gets, the better they look."

:LOL:

Let's parse that caption.

"What the hell happened to her"? Haven't seen someone in 32 years? That's a typical reaction regardless of the other's age or sex because that's a lot of change to absorb in a moment. The man in the cartoon has had 32 years to know and accept what's happened to himself.

"Ugh" Mainstream movies and TV are cast with pretty people. The audience has been conditioned to expect it. Had this been a new character, it's unlikely Carrie Fisher would have been given an audition. It is what it is until people who want it different put up their own money to make movies.

I recently read about a first time TV show runner / head writer looking at head shots for the lead characters. When he got to the pile for the character with a description and type that included 'unattractive', he turned to the casting director and diplomatically asked why are you showing me pretty people? The casting director told him that in TV terms these are unattractive people.

What I think is funny about all of the talk about Carrie Fisher aging badly is that almost no one is saying the same thing about Mark Hamill, who looks at least as rough.

The ugliest guy in the world can be in movies and on TV, but the "ugly" women onscreen are still 8's.

Just my opinion, but there are plenty of women (and men) who maintain their attractiveness as they age......
I thought Joan Rivers looked amazing for her age, but then I've heard rumors that she switched from a plastic surgeon to a taxidermist a number of years before her untimely death..

I am not sure about all of you, but when I look in the mirror I still see myself in my 20s. It's just when someone sends me a picture they recently took of me, I see someone a bit older...

Hah!! I know just what you mean...one day I realized I was actually shaving my dad's face in the mirror, and now I look in the mirror and think "Hello, Grampa!"

BTW, I think Carrie looks a lot better than the poor women who had their lips blown up (Melanie Griffith and Goldie Hawn come to mind) and other grotesquely disfiguring procedures done on themselves.

I thought Carrie Fisher wasn't aging well when I saw her in When Harry Met Sally...and that movie was made in 1989.

No one likes the physical aspects of aging but you have to accept it or be unhappy. My Mom would say that she would feel about 40 in the inside and then catch a glimpse of herself in the mirror and think for an instant "Who is that old woman?" It does beat the alternative though:))

No one likes the physical aspects of aging but you have to accept it or be unhappy. My Mom would say that she would feel about 40 in the inside and then catch a glimpse of herself in the mirror and think for an instant "Who is that old woman?" It does beat the alternative though:))

You have to accept those aspects of aging over which you have no control short of plastic surgery. Staying or getting into shape, getting plenty of sleep, eating right, etc... Can slow the onset of many old age conditions. Carrie Fisher didn't do that. Naturally, this doesn't negate the bias Hollywood has against older women, but the truth is that youth and sex appeal still sell.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I got the hint that I was starting to look older, when older-looking women started to smile and speak to me in public places. In my experience, older women tend to let their eyes skid off of younger women and act like they don't see them, even if the young woman looks at them in a friendly way. [Unless the young woman has a baby with her - they'll see her then]. I wonder if they even know they are doing this.

Amethyst

I am going to be 60 later this month. ( female)

I am 5"10. Some days, when I wear flat shoes and loose clothes and no bra, I look and feel 100 and frumpy.

Other days, when I wear boots with 2-3" heels and stand up straight, with a good bra, my "good" purse, and my chest thrust out, I can still get looks. ( and YES I have a blouse covering my bra!!!)

I see men look and I feel good!

It's just too hard to stand up straight with my chest thrust out every day.....!

But I still do it occasionally to see what happens. Then I exhale and go on with my life.

I am 5"10. Some days, when I wear flat shoes and loose clothes and no bra, I look and feel 100 and frumpy.

Other days, when I wear boots with 2-3" heels and stand up straight, with a good bra, my "good" purse, and my chest thrust out, I can still get looks. ( and YES I have a blouse covering my bra!!!)

It's just too hard to stand up straight with my chest thrust out every day.....!

But I still do it occasionally to see what happens. Then I exhale and go on with my life.

Gee - how odd. Can tell you are female because you put effort into it.
Guy version: http://i.imgur.com/7QNzyDX.gif

Useless without pics!

So why is it the only time DW ever comes to look over my shoulder and read forum posts I'm reading something like this?

That's a relief. I thought I was just a dirty old man. :D
Just? No way. You're a retired dirty old man. :D

Last edited:
Mr. A. tells me he sees men "looking" at me in the gym. I am oblivious to this. When I was a little girl, I disliked being "looked at," and I guess I learned to tune it out.

I strike up conversations with both sexes, though, and the men seem to have more interesting things to discuss (except for a lady from New York, who makes me laugh with her wisecracks!) Could that be because the men are making more of "an effort" to be interesting? I dunno. I just like talking to people who have something to say.

Amethyst

Mr. A. tells me he sees men "looking" at me in the gym. I am oblivious to this. When I was a little girl, I disliked being "looked at," and I guess I learned to tune it out.

I strike up conversations with both sexes, though, and the men seem to have more interesting things to discuss (except for a lady from New York, who makes me laugh with her wisecracks!) Could that be because the men are making more of "an effort" to be interesting? I dunno. I just like talking to people who have something to say.

Amethyst

I've found that having something interesting to say generally gets me in trouble...

I've found that having something interesting to say generally gets me in trouble...

Trying to say something interesting has the same effect with me.

Back
Top Bottom