Bernstein now in Money magazine

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My September issue of Money arrived yesterday. There's a new columnist under the heading "Intelligent Investor". It's ER forum favorite William J. Bernstein, of Four Pillars fame.

The title of the first column is "Take a Deep Breath. Now Stick to Your Plan".

The message is no surprise...stay the course and be patient.
"...Knowing that the market seesaws, you might be tempted to try and shift in and out of equities at just the right time. There's little chance you'll get it right consistently. Instead use your historical perspective as a spine-stiffener you'll need to stick to a prudent asset allocation plan..."
It appears the column isn't posted online. I hope that changes.

A thread over in the Bogleheads forum says that Larry Swedroe will also be a Money columnist, beginning next month.
There's a frightening difference between the posts he puts up for the Diehards and the text in his books. I hope he has a good editor...

Well, this is a positive sign. Still, I doubt it's a fundamental shift in the magazine's coverage. What will the headlines scream every month? "How To Leave Your Portfolio Alone This Year" , "Nope, We Don't Have A Clue Which Way the Market is Going, Either!" And, can you really keep a magazine running if your ads are only from Fidelity, TRP, and Vanguard?

Back
Top Bottom