Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Watching this thread because the Moto G was tops on my list for a replacement phone - till i bought a used iPhone 5s. Loaded up the iPhone version of Mapmywalk and it is pretty cool - does a better job than us mapping our walk on Google Earth Pro after getting back to the house. Also has a timer and does the math for minutes/mile and calories burned and such - and lets you know where you are! Good recommendation.
Friend has one of those new (too, too overpriced for my taste) iphones and their apps can't compete with all the cool stuff you can get for free (and others you can pay for) on an android. As to droid phones in general, if hadn't gotten the Moto G, I would have gotten a Samsung. Another friend has one and I really like the interface.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Friend has one of those new (too, too overpriced for my taste) iphones and their apps can't compete with all the cool stuff you can get for free (and others you can pay for) on an android. As to droid phones in general, if hadn't gotten the Moto G, I would have gotten a Samsung. Another friend has one and I really like the interface.
Coming from a 9 year old Nokia candybar that fit my pocket just great, then a $50 Nokia Lumia 520 Windows phone that was amazing but an orphan for apps. The gal has been making iPhones do tricks for years and we upgraded her to a 64GB refurb 5S. I kept stewing about the Moto G size and it's pocketability - when a used Iphone 5S priced under the Moto G and weighing less than 4oz appeared I snagged it. Still view the Android environment with some envy, but there are more iPhone apps than i know what to do with, so.. I'll make do.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The killer app for me is GasBuddy when RV'ing.

A 10c/gal saving becomes real money on a trip of 5K to 10K miles with a gas guzzler that burns 8 to 9 mpg.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My most-used apps are Audible and NPR1.

I no longer have an active Audible subscription, but I can still downloadand listen to books I bought back when I did, as well as daily NY Timessummary. I listen to that most mornings. I also keep it near me at night, andcan play something boring when insomnia strikes.

NPR1 allows me to download and listen to podcasts of my favorite shows.

I pretty-much only use my LG phone (a Tracfone) when wi-fi is available, orfor infrequent phonecalls.

As a phone it works just fine, but for that purpose I really would prefer a flip-phoneas easier to use and hold, without requiring all the unlocking, tapping andswiping. But the ipod-like capabilities sure are nice.

One other thing I don't like about smartphones in general is the continualneed to wipe the screen clean of smudges and smears.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for several years and used Ting. Now that I switched to Republic, I have the Motorola G and I like it more than the Galaxy. The Motorola came with very little bloat ware installed and it's blazingly fast as a result.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The only app I have on my phone is a flashlight app...it comes in very handy.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Telephone app. Can call anyone anywhere. Works in any language. Who knew?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Oh, that app! Nice thing that it came preinstalled on the device.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

And get this....people can call you,too.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Even if you do not give out your number?

And in my case, even when I have the device turned off? It uses too much power and does not last as long as the old dumb phone.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even if you do not give out your number?

And in my case, even when I have the device turned off? It uses too much power and does not last as long as the old dumb phone.

Yes, Microsoft technical services calls and they don't have my number. Evidently my windows have a virus.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Pfah, I prefer Google Voice to the preinstalled app.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there an app to sync with icalendar? I keep my calendar on my iPad and would like to sync up to my phone so that if I am out and about and want to enter an appointment I can tell if my calendar is free at that time. I asked this question at the Apple Store and was told talk to my phone provider. Sorry, I have Tracfone and they are great for being cheap but forget about customer service. Hey, you get what you pay for and I plan to keep my cell phone cost at under a $100 per year. I have a basic lg android smartphone. Probably a dumb question with an obvious answer but I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I really like using the calendar on my iPad and it would be handy to sync with the phone.

FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I don't know anything about iCalendar but one can use Google Sheets as a form of calendar. Google Sheets will sync with an android phone.

Also there is Google Calendar and sync'ing works there too:
https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/151674?hl=en
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Is there an app to sync with icalendar? I keep my calendar on my iPad and would like to sync up to my phone so that if I am out and about and want to enter an appointment I can tell if my calendar is free at that time. I asked this question at the Apple Store and was told talk to my phone provider. Sorry, I have Tracfone and they are great for being cheap but forget about customer service. Hey, you get what you pay for and I plan to keep my cell phone cost at under a $100 per year. I have a basic lg android smartphone. Probably a dumb question with an obvious answer but I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I really like using the calendar on my iPad and it would be handy to sync with the phone.
We use google apps for most things. The calendar is in google app. Add the google account to the smartphone, and your calendar(s) is there. Then add the google account to ipad. I do this on iphone, and I know daughter does this on ipad.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:21 AM   #36

The biggest cross-platform support problem seems to be calendaring. We use Outlook on our PCs. It has not always been easy sticking with that. Microsoft now has Outlook.com, and therefore allows you to maintain a calendar in the cloud, but at times in the past the interface with the workstation copy has gotten munged. It seems pretty stable now (finally!) so we can rely on having the same calendar on workstation (even when it is briefly disconnected) and on our mobile Android devices.

What seems clear, though, is that Google's services are the most reliable with regard to interconnection between platforms. We'd switch to them wholesale if they had a mail and calendar client for the PC that is as good as Outlook.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU

What seems clear, though, is that Google's services are the most reliable with regard to interconnection between platforms. We'd switch to them wholesale if they had a mail and calendar client for the PC that is as good as Outlook.
Who is we? If it's business application, I see the advantage.

Gmail and other Google Apps live in a browser by design. I don't use desktop notifications or attempt to integrate apps with my pc. For very small business and home use Google Apps are sufficient.

I do use the owa hosted service with Megacorp email and that works well.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Switched from MS calendar client to Google services a long time ago and I'm glad I did. Outlook excels in visual interface and features but nothing beats Google for it's simplicity, practicality and integration in my IMHO. The benefits you gain out-ways the needless features you lose. Try it.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post

I'm not aware of any that you can update an ical directly from Android. My honey only uses apple and me android. The best solution I've found so far is to keep 2 calendars using Cozi. I sent a link to him from Cozi and his ical recognizes it and displays it there. I can also link to his ical so I see his. So we both see each others, but its still NOT the same calendar. However, since no one else is relying on looking at it, it works just about as good... if you find something better let me know as I went on a 3 month search and this was the best I found.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

This describes the concept. I think what is missing from the poster's tracfone is a Gmail account. Until a Gmail account is added to the tracfone (I have such on my tracfone), you are missing the full experience.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/synch...oid-31913.html

Tags
android, apps, smartphone