best dog chew treat?

bright eyed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thought this crowd may help me find the best chew for my dog - he goes through them pretty quickly.

Trader Joe's has a bully stick that lasts about 4 days ($4.95 each), it isn't as "solid" as some of the other chews at the pet store, but falls in the middle between price and how long it lasts and i go there on a regular basis vs the pet store.

Puppy loves to chew chew chew and I'd like to support his habit but not break my bank!

Our girl is all about pig ears, but I'm intrigued by this bully stick you speak of... will try it thanks for the info.

You may want to try Canine Chews from BJs. Whatever you buy try to stick with a chew that is made from American sources, otherwise you might not know what is in the product. Also, our German Shepard goes thru play balls like crazy so we found this ball that she hasn't been able to destroy.

Huck - Guaranteed Indestructible Dog Ball

Jim

The kind of stink if the dog really goes after them, but pig hooves work great and last a long long time. Worked really well with all our puppies.

On a (somewhat) related note: If you and your pooch like to play Frisbee, it is best to spend a few more bucks for the softer ones specially made for this (they can be found at most large pet supply stores). A regular Frisbee can knock out or loosen a tooth if caught at speed, and the edge can get torn and very rough with resulting damage to Fido's gums and mouth. When you buy the soft one, be sure to put it away after use--our dogs found and chewed up more than one.

Sorry, no tips on chews. We did give our pups Greenies when they started to have plaque issues. They seemed to help, but I always felt like I was paying a lot for a dog biscuit.

My golden likes a nylabone. They last a long time. Sometimes I will smear a little peanut butter on it to get her going if I want her to leave me alone. :blush:

I buy the large bags of thicker rawhide flipchips (irregular shape squares) for my older dogs.
For a 24/7 chewing puppy, to avoid choking on rawhide, I will second the NylaBone variety.
I tried one of those spiky type nylon chew bones. Both dogs ignored them. My guess is the spikes hurt their mouth.

Our border collie was a chewer. He went through most chew toys in a couple of days. He goes through the large Nylabones in about a year or two. However, there are several types of Nylabones. I am talking about the ones that look like they are pure nylon. Also we found a large black rubber bone at Pets Mart. It was costly, about $20. However, he has had it for two years now and it looks like it is new.

My "Lucky" likes nylabones. He is picky about shoes, though. Has a decided preference for my aquasocks as he can stick his snout in them then flip them easily. A couple of months ago I was quite mortified when I was giving a small dinner here at the house. He appeared during cocktails with one of my bras dangling from his mouth and whipped it around gleefully to the delight of my guests. That will teach me to drop things on the bedroom floor. At least it wasn't one of my ratty ones...

I don't think he likes the non-hide variety - he had a nyla bone or two, but those are ignored shortly after sniffing them. He has a few stuffed toys he likes to play fetch with...and he's even chewed the edge of my daughter's wooden rocking horse and a few wooden toys if they are left near him - so he's just really into chewing!!!

The hooves sound interesting - but are there hooves that don't look hoov-ish? my daughter might be horrified if she sees him chewing on one! same prob w/ the piggy ears!

Yeah, the hooves look hoofish, but you get used to it. Our weiner dogs did not like nyla bones, but the hooves were tasty enough that they loved them. They would go through the rawhide too fast, would guard the rawhide, and neither behavior was healthy.

The downside of the hooves is if a dog really start gnawing on it it can smell. But it was worth it to us because even as puppies they gave up chewing on everything else.

Thanks martha - i think we will give them a try, just wonder what i will tell the little one they are!!! hehe

OMG - i was doing some googling on the topic and didn't know what the bully sticks were made of!! Sure glad they don't "look" like their origin...hehe. hahaa whaAAAAAAAhahah

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom