Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
I've tried all of them Mentioned here that are Chains..... For myself no Chain Burger beats a Smashburger -- They don't use frozen meat..... Try a "Classic Smash'
Yeah, that's another one on my list to try. Someday when I move perhaps I will have the opportunity to do that. Unfortunately, that won't be anytime soon.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
From what I understand, and that is subject to me being smarter tomorrow than I was yesterday, HFCS is much cheaper than other forms of sugar. Because of that food manufacturers are able to use more of it and still meet their financial goals. Thus, more sugar in foods than ever before.

FWIW, the other day I bought a can of 'Organic' tomato sauce to use in a recipe. To my surprise it contained quite a bit of organic sugar. Ugh! My mother used to add a teaspoon or two of sugar to a big pot tomato sauce to counter the acidity. This 14 oz can had 20 g of the stuff, about 4 tsp.
Tomatoes contain a lot of sugar. It's a fruit after all. Are you sure that a big part of that 20g wasn't the sugar already in the tomatoes?
Old 09-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I understand, and that is subject to me being smarter tomorrow than I was yesterday, HFCS is much cheaper than other forms of sugar. Because of that food manufacturers are able to use more of it and still meet their financial goals. Thus, more sugar in foods than ever before.

FWIW, the other day I bought a can of 'Organic' tomato sauce to use in a recipe. To my surprise it contained quite a bit of organic sugar. Ugh! My mother used to add a teaspoon or two of sugar to a big pot tomato sauce to counter the acidity. This 14 oz can had 20 g of the stuff, about 4 tsp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Tomatoes contain a lot of sugar. It's a fruit after all. Are you sure that a big part of that 20g wasn't the sugar already in the tomatoes?
I’m curious what brand of tomato sauce that was, appears to be some added sugar. Here’s Hunt’s Organic Tomato Sauce with 14g sugar in a full can, none added.

https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/...1819/nutrition

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #224

Wow, 23 pages devoted to favorite fast food hamburgers and fries!

I haven’t had the fortune to live near any Whataburgers, Shake Shacks, Steak-n-Shake, Culver’s, or White Castles. Are these east coast and Midwest?

I enjoy Smashburger and The Habit. And inside my local Whole Foods market, there is a pub and grill that makes a very satisfying burger and fries.

I’ve had disappointing hamburgers at Sonic, Five Guys, In-n-Out, and McD, but I do like the fries at Five Guys, In-n-Out, and McD.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Wow, 23 pages devoted to favorite fast food hamburgers and fries!

I haven’t had the fortune to live near any Whataburgers, Shake Shacks, Steak-n-Shake, Culver’s, or White Castles. Are these east coast and Midwest?

I enjoy Smashburger and The Habit. And inside my local Whole Foods market, there is a pub and grill that makes a very satisfying burger and fries.

I’ve had disappointing hamburgers at Sonic, Five Guys, In-n-Out, and McD, but I do like the fries at Five Guys, In-n-Out, and McD.
Whataburger is Texas only (no sense spreading the goodness).
Old 09-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
?

Quote:
There are more than 760 Whataburger restaurants across 10 states: Arizona, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma and of course Texas.
SA news, 2014
Quote:
As of April 2017, there are 824 Whataburger stores across the Southeastern and Southwestern United States regions.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataburger
Old 09-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now how did I not know they opened hundreds more without letting me know?
Old 09-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I first ate Whataburger in 1970 in Tallahassee Florida. We had them once a week. My Opinion of Whataburger is that they appeal to those that prefer Quantity first. They are BIG!

Try the Classic Smash at Smashburger, if you have not.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Best Fast Food Burgers & Fries
Old 09-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #229
Dryer sheet aficionado

Best Fast Food Burgers & Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What’s the most you’ve paid for a burger?

I think I paid around $25 at a hotel in Hong Kong.

I don’t remember what it was like but a lot of it was about the views.

Probably at “21” in NYC. Good not great. Spendy. Chicken Hash and steak tartare are nice though. Been a few years. Has a casual spot upstairs now.
The Onceler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 I don't know why people fear HFCS. As far as ketchup and calories, 1 TBS of ketchup only has 19 calories, that's not gonna break anyone's calorie bank.

Quote:
I got curious - yes, tomatoes have sugar in them. And this link says a "no added sugar" canned tomato has 25 grams of sugar per 14 oz.

https://www.calorieking.com/foods/ca...kPTU3ODcz.html

Another "fake-out" is when they say "no sugar added", but the ingredient list has "sugar cane juice", or "concentrated white grape juice" , etc.

Opps, this is the "burger (non-table service, chain) and fries thread". I'm out.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #231

Quote:
Maybe we should have a thread debating whether tomato is a fruit or a veg. That’s a good way to derail this thread.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Maybe we should have a thread debating whether tomato is a fruit or a veg. That’s a good way to derail this thread.
It has already been decided. Botanically, tomato is a fruit, but legally, it's a veggie, as decided by the US Supreme Court in 1883.

What happened was that at that time, there was a tax on imported veggie, but not on imported fruits. John Nix, a tomato importer, sued Hedden, the tax collector of NY, in order to seek reimbursement of the duties paid under protest.

The case went all the way to the US Supreme Court, who after listening to various expert witnesses ruled that the tax stayed. The court opinion was that, although the tomato was a botanical fruit, it was eaten during a meal as a veggie, and not during dessert as a fruit. And so, what was served and eaten as a veggie had to be taxed as a veggie.

For more, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden.

By the way, in another court case, the green bean was similarly classified as a veggie, even though it was botanically a seed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I forgot to mention Carl's Jr too. It's not my favorite, however I like it much more than BK, McD's. What I like about Carl's Jr. is that it is the shortest driving distance from my house and I like their burger and fries. When the closest fast food is nine miles one way with the exception of one only 5 miles one way, then sometimes I give the one closer to me preference.

Some day I hope to be able to try Whataburger , Shake Shack, and Five Guys.
They opened a Hardees near me, after 6 months they changed to a Carls Jr, another 6 months and they closed.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
I've tried all of them Mentioned here that are Chains..... For myself no Chain Burger beats a Smashburger -- They don't use frozen meat..... Try a "Classic Smash'
One opened nearby recently. On my list to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
They opened a Hardees near me, after 6 months they changed to a Carls Jr, another 6 months and they closed.
Same company after a merger/buyout about 15 years ago. I'm not a fan, although I do like Hardees sausage and gravy biscuit. I haven't had it in years because I fear it is likely very, very unhealthy.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
One opened nearby recently. On my list to try.

Same company after a merger/buyout about 15 years ago. I'm not a fan, although I do like Hardees sausage and gravy biscuit. I haven't had it in years because I fear it is likely very, very unhealthy.
Hardee's/Carl's Double Monster Thickburger gets nods as the most calorie-laden burger in the fast-food universe. It also holds over 3,000 mg of sodium. Yum!

from Fox News: "Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr.’s legendarily unhealthy 2/3rd-pound Monster Thickburger is a beast of a burger, and contains an insane amount of calories: 1,340, to be exact. It also clocks in at 96 grams of fat, 34 grams of saturated fat, 275 milligrams of cholesterol, and 3,130 milligrams of sodium, more than double the American Heart Association’s suggested daily intake."
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #236

For those who occasionally travel I-41 (old US 41) through eastern Wisconsin, I recommend a stop at Tucker's Drive-in in Fond du Lac. There are a couple locations.

Something inspired great drive-in restaurants in the city; perhaps it was the through traffic on Highway 41. Here's a pic of The Beer Hut, a carhop spot that would bring bottled beer out to your car.

Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
For those who occasionally travel I-41 (old US 41) through eastern Wisconsin, I recommend a stop at Tucker's Drive-in in Fond du Lac. There are a couple locations.

Something inspired great drive-in restaurants in the city; perhaps it was the through traffic on Highway 41. Here's a pic of The Beer Hut, a carhop spot that would bring bottled beer out to your car.

Ah, I miss Wisconsin!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That's a sin!

Then again, I go all the way with a Chicago style hotdog and add a little ketchup. Forgive my sin!

BTW, to all those outside of Chicago who try to create a Chicago style hot dog and you neglect to steam a poppy seed bun, please, don't even try. OK? Gotta get that right. And the celery salt. And... Well, ya gotta get it right! Keep the ketchup off and leave it to the sinners to do it themselves.

Went to Perillo’s for the first time awhile back. I got a burger but my buddy got a Chicago dog and he was chastised for putting ketchup (or is it catsup) on it.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:12 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I prefer ketchup on hot dogs too.

Honey mustard is okay but that sour stuff is too much.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Sonic’s burgers are pretty generic, though the Hatch chili burger isn’t bad, but the tator tots rock! [emoji51]

Whataburger is a regular morning travel stop, for coffee and a “meat biscuit”.

Back in the day, the cruisers in our Smalltown USA traveled the strip between Cliff’s Drive-In at one end of town, and the Park-n-Eat at the other. Cliff’s had the phone system for order placement, with delivery by carhop, while the PNE carhops did both. IIRC, the Cliff burger had a sort of tarter sauce dressing, similar to a Big Mac.

Cliff’s is now home to a dog grooming business. The Park-n-Eat is a parking lot...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote