Best Fast Food Burgers & Fries

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Excluding gourmet and/or table service restaurants (e.g. Chili’s, Red Robin) and strictly local places (less than two states).
  1. Shake Shack
  2. Five Guys
  3. Wendy’s
  4. Culver’s
  5. Steak ‘n Shake
  6. McDonalds
  7. Burger King
  8. Sonic
  9. Dairy Queen
  10. Rally’s
  11. White Castle
I am sure In-n-Out would fare well on this list but I’ve never lived in the 6 western states they’re in and never sampled their burgers. Someone else will have to place them.

1 and 2 above cost more, so they should be better. YMMV

Last edited:
I can't argue with your list except for BK & McD. Those are just nasty!
BTW we watched The Founder recently and enjoyed it, the movie that is.

When on the road in the US, I am partial to a chili cheeseburger from Sonic.

In Canada, the best fastfood burger by far is from Harvey's.

The issue I have is some of these chains only exist in certain parts of the country. Unless one has been all over the country, there's not much chance you'll know all of them. Based on my limited experience, I will have to go with In-N-Out.

Is there anyone who has tried all of them? Perhaps, but I would dare to say that's not too many people. When I lived in California there was no Shake Shack, Steak n Shake or Culvers or Whataburger that I can recall. There are some hamburger chains up north in Utah, and they have some on the list, but certainly not all. It's just too hard to compare when most people do not have the opportunity to judge fairly, because they have never had the opportunity to try them all.
Of course I could be wrong, this forum could be much more well traveled than myself and are familiar with all of them. I know I am not.

Last edited:
In-N-Out was good when I lived in California. I like McD and Wendy's otherwise. But I question whether they can still be called "fast food". I usually have to wait 20+ minutes locally to get my food (I went to McD yesterday for lunch and I waited 10 minutes just to order - I was the first in line but there was no one working the register). It seems like fast food joints were much more efficient in the past.

In-N-Out was good when I lived in California. I like McD and Wendy's otherwise. But I question whether they can still be called "fast food". I usually have to wait 20+ minutes locally to get my food (I went to McD yesterday for lunch and I waited 10 minutes just to order - I was the first in line but there was no one working the register). It seems like fast food joints were much more efficient in the past.

Go to McD once in awhile in FLA. One can put in their order on an automated machine with payment and then they bring the order to you. So very efficient process, which I have not seen in the Northeast.

I like Carl’s Jr. too, besides In and Out, but it’s not on the list. I can get lettuce wrap burger there.

As far as fast food nastiness, nothing else comes close to Whataburger. One of the few redeeming qualities of having to live in TX.

I thought Dairy Queen was at the top of the fast food nastiness.

Last edited:
The issue I have is some of these chains only exist in certain parts of the country. Unless one has been all over the country, there's not much chance you'll know all of them. Based on my limited experience, I will have to go with In-N-Out.

Is there anyone who has tried all of them? Perhaps, but I would dare to say that's not too many people. When I lived in California there was no Shake Shack, Steak n Shake or Culvers or Whataburger that I can recall. There are some hamburger chains up north in Utah, and they have some on the list, but certainly not all. It's just too hard to compare when most people do not have the opportunity to judge fairly, because they have never had the opportunity to try them all.
Of course I could be wrong, this forum could be much more well traveled than myself and are familiar with all of them. I know I am not.
Not meant to be a definitive, scientific study, a casual survey at best...

Shake Shack and Wendy's are my favorites. I really liked Shake Shack's fries.

Habit Burger is another regional chain in CA or the West.

FWIW, Consumer Reports readers rated fast food burger restaurants a couple of years ago. Here are the scores:

Shake Shack - not scored
Five Guys - 82
Wendy’s - 76
Culver’s - 84
Steak ‘n Shake - 80
McDonalds - 71
Burger King - 71
Sonic - 76
Dairy Queen - Not scored
Rally’s - Not scored
White Castle - 78

In-N-Out Burger - 88
Whataburger - 83
Smashburger - 81
Jack in the Box - 76
Freddy's - 83

Last edited:
^^ Interesting, thanks!

So CR says:

1. In-N-Out Burger - 88
  2. Culver’s - 84
  3. Whataburger - 83
  4. Freddy's - 83
  5. Five Guys - 82
  6. Smashburger - 81
  7. Steak ‘n Shake - 80
  8. White Castle - 78
  9. Wendy’s - 76
  10. Jack in the Box - 76
  11. Sonic - 76
  12. McDonalds - 71
  13. Burger King - 71
Shake Shack - not scored
Dairy Queen - Not scored
Rally’s - Not scored
The only one I really don't understand is White Castle over anyone else. They're edible and very cheap, but that's about it IMO.

I hope I get to try In-n-Out one day, even Anthony Bourdain raved about them.

Last edited:
Don't know some of the places on your list, don't like some of the places I've tried (sorry, Wendy's and BK fans!)

So my list,

Inn-N-Out
Fatburger
Shake Shack
Five Guys
McDonalds
White Castle

In Texas - even the tiniest town seems to have a Dairy Queen. I'm surprised Consumer Reports did not rate them.

Back
Top Bottom