best homeowner and car insurer.

Do they give you a check at the end of the policy if you do not have claims:confused:

I remember when I got a quote from them many years ago I said they were much higher than what I had... but the rep said 'yes, but you will get a check back'.... but since I had no idea on what it might be I never went with them...

Yes. Not for car (NC is heavily regulated in that regard), but for Umbrella. The amount back was significant, about 25% of the premium. They say it depends on overall claims. This has made it very competitive with the other insurers whom I compared against.

The least expensive (net) policies they offer are dividend policies. They cost more at the start of the policy, but you get the excess (dividend) rebated to you as a check or applied to your next year's premium. Theoretically they could just keep the excess amount if they have a sufficiently bad year, but that has not happened in a long time. The payment of the dividend is based on company-wide results, not your individual claim history.

If you file a claim the dividend may not be payable until the next claim free year. There are dividend exclusions on some policies in a few states depending on policy type: car, homeowner, umbrella, etc.

If you file a claim the dividend may not be payable until the next claim free year. There are dividend exclusions on some policies in a few states depending on policy type: car, homeowner, umbrella, etc.

Yes there are state variations. In my case this has not happened.

Like others, I highly recommend Amica; I have had no issues with them (no claims, however) and will stick with them as long as rates don't get out of control. I had USAA for 10+ years (and again, no claims) but the increases just got out of control, so I left them for Amica.

My Dad also has Amica and has had a claim and it was handled very quickly, efficiently, and with no bother at all. His rate increases have been in line with mine...so nothing egregious for the claim.

I have also been with Amica for many years, and I have filed claims (homeowner's, auto). They have always been a pleasure to deal with and never gave me any trouble. They didn't even raise my rates when I filed two homeowner's claims in the same year (ice dam caused water leak that destroyed a bathroom, then in the spring a fire started by someone tossing a lit cigarette caused about $25K damage.)

Amica consistently gets top-ratings in Consumer Reports and they are less expensive than many more popular choices, though not the cheapest. I have heard so many horror stories about State Farm I would never go near them.

I just recently had a fender bender with a car that is insured with state farm. I am also insured with state farm for my houses, cars, and umbrella liability.

I had this happen to me about 5 years ago and the experience was great. Plus, because the other vehicle was insured by State Farm, there was no deductible.

Just got an online quote from both Amica and the Hartford--also highly ranked.
This is just for Auto--SFarm-877/yr: Amica--885/yr; & the Hartford with AARP rates 1157/yr
Probably not true apples to apples as we supposedly get a bundled price from SF since we have Homeowners. Using online chat, Amica rep would not give me a bundled quote unless I spent 20-30 min. for complete underwriting. Since DW was ringing dinner bell, I will have to come back to them. Any idea from you Amica users what the bundle is worth?
Not clear if or to what degree quote includes their dividend. If not included, Amica may win. What has been the range of percentage have you Amica insured been actually getting. The Amica website suggests 20%. If true they would clearly beat SF if the dividend is not represented in quote.
nwsteve

On the state farm side the bundle on the homeowners side is worth about 1/3 of the premium, they don't say on the auto side for the most recent renewal but it says about 17% on an older policy. So you need to move both to get the max discounts, as well as any umbrella policy.

My wise old uncle told me years ago that your insurance is only as good as your agent.

Our agent is a former claims adjuster with the same company he represents. Over the years we have had claims on our homes, rentals, and cars. Some were borderline (is that hail damaged roof REALLY that bad?). Our agent has always gone to bat for us, and pushed the claim until it was paid.

Many of the stories you hear about unpaid claims involve agents not wanting the claim to kill their loss ratio bonus. So they don't try very hard.

Like most, we are solicited monthly to get a competitive quote from other companies. No thanks.

This is just for Auto--SFarm-877/yr: Amica--885/yr; & the Hartford with AARP rates 1157/yr
Probably not true apples to apples as we supposedly get a bundled price from SF since we have Homeowners. Using online chat, Amica rep would not give me a bundled quote unless I spent 20-30 min. for complete underwriting. Since DW was ringing dinner bell, I will have to come back to them. Any idea from you Amica users what the bundle is worth?
Not clear if or to what degree quote includes their dividend. If not included, Amica may win. What has been the range of percentage have you Amica insured been actually getting. The Amica website suggests 20%. If true they would clearly beat SF if the dividend is not represented in quote.
nwsteve
20% rings true in my case. But Umbrella only. It depends on your state.

You can also ask for a non-dividend quote.

The time on the phone was worth it in my case. SF completely went south in my area when agents turned over. Their whole model has changed. And SF felt they had a need to fight NC over one of their insurance regulations, and started manipulating homeowner's insurance to beat the law. (Too long to describe the details.) When I called the agent about this, she said, "Everyone is doing it." What? Is my agent 13 years old? No. Amica is not doing it. "Everyone" is not doing it.

I regularly get mail from Amica offering their services, I guess I didn't look at it close enough because I wasn't aware they offered a yearly dividend until reading this thread. I did request an auto coverage quote from them last year and they were about ~50% higher than what I currently pay with Progressive.

nwsteve

There are several discounts I have listed on my Amica policy. They include: bundled (car, home, umbrella), electronic discount, longevity, autopay, multi-car, anti-theft, and montiored alarm. The dividend for Georgia is 20% for auto (does not apply to liability coverage), and I *think* 25% for homeowners. Umbrella has one as well...and I think it is also 25%.

Here are actual numbers for our coverage: (homeowners, two cars, umbrella)

Cost Without Discount: 3760
Discount: 796
Dividend: 403
NET ANNUAL COST: 2561

And just as a comparison, I called USAA last December to check rates, and same coverage would have been $640 *MORE* than Amica.

I've been with USAA for 20+ years, including banking service. Very good customer service. But then again, I have yet to file a claim. I think most insurance companies are good until you file a claim. That's when you learn what the company is really like.

I guess that depends on where you are. I've been in north Florida for the past 24 years. The first 16 years my home was insured with Nationwide. Then one day Nationwide changed their policy and said you must be a multiple policy holder with them to continue their insurance services. I was dropped after 16 years with zero claims.

Most insurance companies cringe when you give them a Florida address. home owners insurance is quite expensive here and continues to go up every year.

Mike

they changed the rules

I've been happy with USAA for the last 37 years (auto, home and umbrella). You or someone in your family needs to have a military connection to become a member.

they now have 3 tiers of rates, 1)officers including warrant,2) dependents(my son uses them for his car insurance he is eligible thru my service) 3) everybody else, they watered down the eligibility. that being said they beat all my price shopping and still have the best prices

I regularly get mail from Amica offering their services, I guess I didn't look at it close enough because I wasn't aware they offered a yearly dividend until reading this thread. I did request an auto coverage quote from them last year and they were about ~50% higher than what I currently pay with Progressive.

Same with me... which is why I did not go with them.... I did not know how big a check I would get... heck, still don't....

they now have 3 tiers of rates, 1)officers including warrant,2) dependents(my son uses them for his car insurance he is eligible thru my service) 3) everybody else, they watered down the eligibility. that being said they beat all my price shopping and still have the best prices

Well, there is a 4th.... we do not offer you insurance!!!

Even though my dad was in the military, I do not qualify since HE did not have insurance with USAA..... I asked a few times to make sure as I have heard it was easier to get... but nope... they sent me to somebody else which they said would have 'lower' costs than their normal rates.... but they were still much higher than I currently pay...

Well, there is a 4th.... we do not offer you insurance!!!

Even though my dad was in the military, I do not qualify since HE did not have insurance with USAA..... I asked a few times to make sure as I have heard it was easier to get... but nope... they sent me to somebody else which they said would have 'lower' costs than their normal rates.... but they were still much higher than I currently pay...

I found they are more expensive for new customers. The old timers that have been with them for many years usually make out better. The one thing that I found is that USAA, in the early years, would only accept military officers. When they opened their services to the enlisted ranks a lot of the enlisted I knew said: "I wasn't good enough for them to take my money before, I'm surely not going to give them my money now".

Mike

yes, best rates are for their first customers(the officers)

I found they are more expensive for new customers. The old timers that have been with them for many years usually make out better. The one thing that I found is that USAA, in the early years, would only accept military officers. When they opened their services to the enlisted ranks a lot of the enlisted I knew said: "I wasn't good enough for them to take my money before, I'm surely not going to give them my money now".

Mike
true

You can also request a "non-dividend" policy from Amica. This gets you a lower premium in exchange for no dividend. I have auto, home and umbrella policies with Amica.

My policies don't say what the "multi-line discount" is, but I agree that once you have been insured with them for a while the rates are more competitive. I don't mind spending a few more dollars to get exceptional service when I need it.

You can also request a "non-dividend" policy from Amica. This gets you a lower premium in exchange for no dividend. I have auto, home and umbrella policies with Amica.

This probably varies by state as to availability. In my case, the dividend policies were cheaper than the non-dividend by a material margin once you take into account the dividend.

nwsteve

Followed up with Amica and got a full homeowners and auto bundled pricing. Supposedly the bundle is worth 15%
Homeowners HO5 policy 677 State Farm (SF) 626
2 million Umbrella: 361 w/o Div: 289 net w/divd SF=254
Auto:
Found out that Amica will not write Umbrella unless auto is a 250k/500K liability. For that coverage 2 vehicle price was 1061/yr w/o Div; 1292 with dividend--est net 1033/yr SF: 877/yr but it is written with 100k/300k base liabliity.
Pretty clear Amica won't be our insurer.
To the point of a previous poster--status of your agent does make a difference. Our agent standing is such SF has him opening multiple offices-didn't even know they did that. I expect when he calls they pick up the phone.
My previous agent SF agent recntly retired (we were with her over 25 years) and she had similar "sway" ;-). It paid off when I had collision when a guy took a "California stop" on a light and hit me as I was turning. The underwriter wanted to make me liable but she simply rewrote us under another vehicle I had sold . No issues ;-) (can't say I understand SF rules but she knew them inside/out and knew exactly how to manage the situation.

Last edited:
We have USAA for home & auto, but no claim experience with them, having switched to them about 6-8 yrs ago. I checked ratings of various options online.

We were involved in a very minor auto accident a few months ago with other driver at fault. He had Miami Mutual insurance & they were VERY easy to deal with in getting our car repaired. They gave us the names of 3 local repair shops & we were not involved in the $ exchanged. They paid for a car rental for the week it was in the shop. I wasn't familiar with Miami Mutual, but it couldn't have been easier.

Much of this discussion depends on your state of residence. It is hard to compare otherwise.

"This is just for Auto--
SFarm-877/yr:
Amica--885/yr;
The Hartford with AARP rates 1157/yr
"

Looks like I'm going to have to re-visit the whole Insurance thing when policies come due next January. I had to get coverage when we moved to South Carolina and at that time The Hartford/AARP rate appeared to be the best we could find for 2 cars. Based on the above....they are the high-cost provider.

Is Amica open to all individuals ?? How about USAA, open to all ??
There are tales of Geico's 6 month policies and the big jump on the first renewal....anybody experience that scenario from the Gecco ??

Back
Top Bottom