Best Hot Dog joint you ever ate in

One more vote for The Varsity in Atlanta. I'm not a big hog dog lover, but I can't resist theirs. We travel through Atlanta on most trips South, and we almost always stop and eat there going and coming. Once, when we hadn't been there for a while, we drove to Atlanta and ate at The Varsity for my birthday!

I used to go to the one on Northside, at Euclid and Hearst (right across the street from campus), though it has been many years since I lived in Berkeley and ate there. Great hotdogs.

Hot dogs - - even Lucky Dogs - - are not worth the calories when living in New Orleans, IMO. The (other) food here is too good.

Well Berkeley has other great food like Chez Panise one of the top restaurants in the world but for $3 bucks Top Dog is right up there for value. Of course, I often order the Louisiana Hot Links, and Cajun everything so maybe I should be living in New Orleans,

My fav as a kid was at the arcade at the beach, along with the smell of wet sand on cold concrete.

This one is next on my list, cuz I kinda like the logo. Big plus, they also sell mini donuts.

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 2
My all-time faves are dogs from the street-cart vendors in NYC. I just shut my eyes and order a half-smoke with the works. Yum.

These days, it's Costco dogs for me and the kids, since they're pretty much the only dog joint in town. (There's a guy who sells from a stand on the beach at the county line, but I'm not driving 35 minutes for a dog).

But... the last page of Sunset magazine this month had a "Sonoran" hot dog feature. Yowzah, it looks good! Maybe I'll try one of those if I can find one.

And as for the duck-fat fries, have to say I've tried them and they're not as good as they sound. My favorite fries are still Belgian frites fried in rendered beef kidney fat, served with a big dollop of mayo on top. OMG.

I have NO hot dog restaurants in these here parts except those little tiny sidewalk vendors or lunchwagon trucks. They boil their dogs :mad: and the toppings are limited to mustard, relish, and ketchup in plastic packets. Yawn.
I've been thinking about hot dogs :nonono: all week, thanks to the pics in this thread. You're killing me! :LOL:
I've been trying to lose weight, so they have been off my shopping list for months and months and months and months...:(
HOWEVER...*@!^ the diet for 1 day.
Tonight has been declared Hot Dog Night at the Freebird Home for the Severely Cabin Fevered. Sans wind chill, I just may have to fire up the grill. Chopped onions, shredded cheddar and chili are all set to go. :cool:
dh2b has been given the honey-do to pick up dogs and buns on the way home. tough assignment! :whistle:

On Friday's it is .50 day at the local dogtrack . .50 admission..50 hotdogs & .50 beer . An amusing way to spend the afternoon plus the hot dogs are good .

My all-time faves are dogs from the street-cart vendors in NYC. I just shut my eyes and order a half-smoke with the works. Yum.

We need a thread 'Best street meat you've ever had'.

My vote would be for the lamb gyros off the carts in the city.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom