Best new to you music

bjorn2bwild

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For me it is - "Everything that happens will happen today" by Brian Eno and David Byrne.
It was released in 2008 but is new to me in the past year. This is one of those rare collaborations where the synergy of the two artists surpasses their own excellent solo work in my opinion. I puchased the digital download, but the CD version would be good value, as the entire collection is great.

I love your sig line, as I, too, was raised by wolves!

I don't know if you are looking for older stuff we somehow missed, but what comes to my mind is a group called Dawes. Heard them for the first time at a festival and I've enjoyed them ever since. Favorites are "If I Wanted Someone" and "A Little Bit of Everything".

They came to town this past weekend with Bob Dylan and we missed it, because, well, I can't stand paying for the mumbling man.

Check out GENTLE SPIRIT by Jonathon Wilson. Really easy to listen to, yet sophisticated musical numbers. Traces/Influences of Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Neil Young can be heard in his work. have had a number of people comment on it when I have it playing in the background.

...and regarding Bob Dylan, it may be mumbling, but it's genius mumblings.:)

...and regarding Bob Dylan, it may be mumbling, but it's genius mumblings.:)

I know, I know, but I just don't want to pay to hear it live. I'm happy hearing it around the house instead. Believe me, I do think he's an amazing songwriter, but live, he really does suck. :D

Ara batur by Sigur Ros. It's in Icelandic so I can't understand the lyrics, but that doesn't affect the impact of the song. Near the end when the full choir comes in and then the orchestra often gives me goosebumps.

Sigur Ros - Ara Batur - YouTube

Paul Westerberg (former member of the Replacements) is one of only a handful of artists whose work I will buy sight unseen. His last album (49:00) came out a few years ago and was available only as a download, and only for a couple of weeks. Luckily the rest of his catalogue is very good and remains easily available.

Thanks to all for the picks.
I will add them to my rotation. My method uses an A and B file for each music genre. I put new music into my B file - kind of music purgatory. When a new song earns its wings, I kick it up to the A list. Works great for me.

Wow...I have a few kindred spirits here it seems. The Replacements (St. Paul Westerberg) are probably a top 3 all-time band for me and Dawes are up there in the top 20. Westy is in his 50's so I have grown up with him. The Dawes kids are in their early 20's - Taylor, the singer/guitarist is very talented.

A band that I am just getting into (somehow missed) are The Gourds. Their singer also has his own band - Shinyribs that is very good. Texas country soul.

CCdaC, man I LOVE Chris Knight! Just wish we could see him live more often.

Another you might like in the same vein of strong songwriting is BJ Barham of American Aquarium. Younger, angrier, and road-weary, he's got some good stuff out there.

I've posted about this before, but I'm totally addicted to Live From Daryl's House which can be watched on the Palladia channel, or on the internet.

Daryl Hall (Hall & Oates fame) is the host (duh) and features some stars from his generation but mostly introduces us to newer acts. I remember some of these groups from when my kids were in high school, but now I'm finally seeing why they were so hooked on them.

This one is from the show with Jason Mraz.

Episode 55: Jason Mraz :: Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: Current Episode

And this one is from Minus the Bear:

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=77

These seem to be shown at various times on my cable provider, so I just record most of them and watch when I need to chillax.

I hope you find something new that you like too. :greetings10:

Last edited:
I recently just noticed a local Colorado band, the Flobots Flobots |  They are good. the song that initially got my attention is 'same thing'

Like "Willie" and all songs with words or stories.

Love of my life (E Natural above high C)... Sarah...
From "The songs that got away"...

Meadowlark - Sarah Brightman - YouTube

From the "Baker's wife"
In the musical, it is sung by the character Geneviève, trying to decide whether she should stay with her husband or run off with a younger man. She likens her situation to the fairy tale about a meadowlark who lived with a king who adored her. One day, the sun god approached the meadowlark and urged her to come with him. The meadowlark refused and perished. At the end of the song, Geneviève decides to leave with the younger man.

Like "Willie" and all songs with words or stories.

Love of my life (E Natural above high C)... Sarah...
From "The songs that got away"...

Meadowlark - Sarah Brightman - YouTube

From the "Baker's wife"
In the musical, it is sung by the character Geneviève, trying to decide whether she should stay with her husband or run off with a younger man. She likens her situation to the fairy tale about a meadowlark who lived with a king who adored her. One day, the sun god approached the meadowlark and urged her to come with him. The meadowlark refused and perished. At the end of the song, Geneviève decides to leave with the younger man.

Last edited:
New to me: The Mavericks

Don't know how much I like it as it has a couple of genres goin' on... both country and western and I can only take so much of that in one dose. But it is a good band and Raul Malo has some chops and it's a tight band. Got some hard core country, Tex Mex, old Elvis and Roy Orbison influences. Check out "I'm Not Going To Cry For You" from Music For All Occasions.

Back
Top Bottom