Join Early Retirement Today

Best Non-electronic new product
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Best Non-electronic new product

Wide open...

My money's on the "magic eraser"... (started under the Mr. Clean Brand, but now available unbranded @ 2/$1 Walmart, Dollar Tree etc.)

Second best... Pineapple slicer/corer @ $4.99 from Aldi's.

Suggestions? Nominees?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Administrator

You give new meaning to the word new. Magic eraser has been around for at least a decade.

My vote for best no electronic product is the CityKitty. Automatic toilet flusher for cats.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
You give new meaning to the word new. Magic eraser has been around for at least a decade.
I was away....
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a nice new wrench and socket set.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yaktraxs. -- Not sure how long they have been around, but I just got a pair last winter and they are great. I no longer slip/slide and end up on my butt when shovelling or walking on snow or ice.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The eraser thing is new to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The magic eraser is an excellent boat cleaner--from the seats to the hull--it gets ur done.
Glad to hear they are now a bargain at the $$$ store.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #8

The Zip-it is a 18 inch plastic saw blade like device that is snaked down drains of all sorts to get the gunk out. It takes a bit of fussing, but gets the job done.
One tip, if you are squimish, get someone else to pull it out of the drain.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Mr B went for both the 9 inch and 12 inch version of the Orgreenic fry pans. I really have to keep him out of the As seen on TV section of WallyWorld.

They are very good pans, except for frying eggs. You still have to use PAM. I had to explain the concepts of surface tension and the natural binder properties of eggs to him before he was convinced.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm generally really frugal, but the other day when shopping with someone else I saw a Luminara flameless candle with a remote control. It is made of wax and looks so real. We are really enjoying it. The store owner said they sell out as fast as they get them in and I see Amazon and other internet sights are out of stock. Coolest new thing I have seen in a while.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
Yaktraxs. -- Not sure how long they have been around, but I just got a pair last winter and they are great. I no longer slip/slide and end up on my butt when shovelling or walking on snow or ice.
These do work great, but I've found that they don't last long if you hike in them. Now these things rock.

Amazon.com: Kahtoola MICROspikes Pocket Traction System: Sports & Outdoors
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

My favorite new gadget, also a long way from being new but new to me, is the compression strap to stabilize your kneecap when running or distance walking.

I've been using them for nearly two years, and they have made such an enormous difference -- totally eliminated my knee pains.

There are several brands, but Cho-Pat is the best known.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My favorite new gadget, also a long way from being new but new to me, is the compression strap to stabilize your kneecap when running or distance walking.

I've been using them for nearly two years, and they have made such an enormous difference -- totally eliminated my knee pains.

There are several brands, but Cho-Pat is the best known.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but which product on that page? The one called the "patellar stabilizer?"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #14

Sorry. The "original knee strap" that has been around forever. Very popular with runners.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sorry. The "original knee strap" that has been around forever. Very popular with runners.
Thanks! I may consider this because it sounds like exactly what I need.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #16

You can get them online, but any decent running shoe store should have them.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #17

Cable cuffs at Home Depot, I think brand name is Cable Clamp. Very cheap and helps to organize any type of electrical cord, air/garden hoses, etc. Only .99 to $3.88 for the mega size. I've been using these to tidy up my electrical tools, extension cords and air hoses. I finally got my 50' air hoses off the basement floor, didn't want to pay $30-40 for those hose reels.

Search Results for*cable cuff*at The Home Depot
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
I'm generally really frugal, but the other day when shopping with someone else I saw a Luminara flameless candle with a remote control. It is made of wax and looks so real. We are really enjoying it. The store owner said they sell out as fast as they get them in and I see Amazon and other internet sights are out of stock. Coolest new thing I have seen in a while.
I saw these on a walkway and they had made hurricane lamps out of ice to put them in! It made me stop in my tracks and walk over and touch them.

Almost forgot - my vote goes for the bungee cord.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Thermos bottle. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. How does it know?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #20

I love my new back scratcher :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote