Join Early Retirement Today

Best paint for pool deck in southeast Florida
Old 11-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best paint for pool deck in southeast Florida

The concrete pool deck is about 1200 square feet (in addition to the pool itself), exposed to sun year-round, painted white with some kind of acrylic/latex paint which attracts and holds dirt, especially from yard workers' shoes (and ours, from time to time). (Their lawn mower also has to travel over the edge of the deck; that's how the lot is set up). Soiled areas also are prone to mildew. (No more, really, than they would be up north, but in Florida there's no down time for pools)

It's a lot of area to keep pressure washing all the time. We considered pavers, but the estimates were eye-watering. So the plan is to wash it thoroughly, paint with a mildew-discouraging primer (Lime Prime, earthpaint.net) and then a coat of exterior latex paint.

Research suggests this pricey paint is best: https://www.amazon.com/Swim-Patio-De.../dp/B002WKJ83Q We'd need at least 12 gallons.

Has anyone in a similar situation, had success with less costly paint?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go to your local paint store and ask for advice. I don’t mean a big box, but find a real paint store that pros use. Florida has some regional brands that are fine-tuned for the climate.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The local one pushes Benjamin Moore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Go to your local paint store and ask for advice. I don’t mean a big box, but find a real paint store that pros use. Florida has some regional brands that are fine-tuned for the climate.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #4

I've been using H&C Concrete Stain for the last 20 years, and it looks great on my screen porch. Only problem is that it reacts negatively to rubber wheels that sit on it.

This year, I switched to a Behr latex concrete paint with epoxy. Looks great and comes in many, many colors.

On a pool deck, I'd be using a tan color--close to dirt colored. I've not had time to paint my new pool deck, however.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool Feel from Sherwin Williams. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...s/hc-cool-feel
DrBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

I would recommending taking a gander at the "Trouble Free Pool" forum. There are a LOT of really smart folks on there and will have good info for you. They have been a life saver for many things with our pool.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't skimp on the paint, get the best stuff no matter the cost. Outdoor floors are the hardest app you can find. Foot traffic, furniture, extreme UV, rain and dirt.

Imagine what your walls would look like if people walked on them.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I would recommending taking a gander at the "Trouble Free Pool" forum. There are a LOT of really smart folks on there and will have good info for you. They have been a life saver for many things with our pool.
I second this. I am new to pools this year and found their site by chance and am very happy with the help they've provided.

Tags
concrete deck paint, outdoor paint florida, pool deck