Best paint for pool deck in southeast Florida

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The concrete pool deck is about 1200 square feet (in addition to the pool itself), exposed to sun year-round, painted white with some kind of acrylic/latex paint which attracts and holds dirt, especially from yard workers' shoes (and ours, from time to time). (Their lawn mower also has to travel over the edge of the deck; that's how the lot is set up). Soiled areas also are prone to mildew. (No more, really, than they would be up north, but in Florida there's no down time for pools)

It's a lot of area to keep pressure washing all the time. We considered pavers, but the estimates were eye-watering. So the plan is to wash it thoroughly, paint with a mildew-discouraging primer (Lime Prime, earthpaint.net) and then a coat of exterior latex paint.

Research suggests this pricey paint is best: https://www.amazon.com/Swim-Patio-Deck-Paint-White/dp/B002WKJ83Q We'd need at least 12 gallons.

Has anyone in a similar situation, had success with less costly paint?

Go to your local paint store and ask for advice. I don’t mean a big box, but find a real paint store that pros use. Florida has some regional brands that are fine-tuned for the climate.

The local one pushes Benjamin Moore.

Go to your local paint store and ask for advice. I don’t mean a big box, but find a real paint store that pros use. Florida has some regional brands that are fine-tuned for the climate.

I've been using H&C Concrete Stain for the last 20 years, and it looks great on my screen porch. Only problem is that it reacts negatively to rubber wheels that sit on it.

This year, I switched to a Behr latex concrete paint with epoxy. Looks great and comes in many, many colors.

On a pool deck, I'd be using a tan color--close to dirt colored. I've not had time to paint my new pool deck, however.

I would recommending taking a gander at the "Trouble Free Pool" forum. There are a LOT of really smart folks on there and will have good info for you. They have been a life saver for many things with our pool.

I wouldn't skimp on the paint, get the best stuff no matter the cost. Outdoor floors are the hardest app you can find. Foot traffic, furniture, extreme UV, rain and dirt.

Imagine what your walls would look like if people walked on them.

I would recommending taking a gander at the "Trouble Free Pool" forum. There are a LOT of really smart folks on there and will have good info for you. They have been a life saver for many things with our pool.

I second this. I am new to pools this year and found their site by chance and am very happy with the help they've provided.

Back
Top Bottom