Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best places for singles over 65
Old 03-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best places for singles over 65

So, here's the article we've all been waiting for ().

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retir...nt-lifestyleet

It seems to assume that singles over 65 just can't wait to get married again. And get this: "Once you're in your 50s and 60s, you put a premium not on scoring with someone, but on connecting with someone and being who you really are." Says who?? Plenty of men my age here in CO would like to score with someone, esp. if that somone is 10 years younger!

The article also quotes that "expert" John Gray of "Men are From Mars . . " fame. He gives some startling new and original advice to join new clubs and activities to meet people!. "Try some activity that you are not very good at and ask for help," advises Gray. "Men bond with women more easily when they are doing something to help the woman."

Hilarious! Gray must have stepped into the way-back machine!

Then the article suggests that in Reno "Asking for or offering assistance playing poker, blackjack, or keno in is sure to make both of your pulses race. Afterward, you can relax at a concert, golden oldie review, or comedy show."

So, in other words, go to Reno and pick up men and ask them to help you gamble then go to a oldie show. Hello?Does this sound like something you single ladies would like to do? Wait. . . I DID do that, in 1975! I don't recommend it.

"Dating is one of the most fun, life-affirming, exhilarating experiences that can come into your life," says Judith Sills, a clinical psychologist and author of Getting Naked Again: Dating, Romance, Sex, and Love When You've Been Divorced, Widowed, Dumped, or Distracted. "It is being 19 again, but knowing everything you know now, and that is something not to be missed."

Dating is fun at over age 65? What about the rejection part? And what about the heartbreak of being divorced, widowed, dumped or distracted?And "Getting Naked Again. . ."? What about that 65 year old body? Yeah, we all look great at our age, so what the heck?

I think one of the best things about being 60 is that there's no chance in hell that I will ever feel like or think like I'm 19 and do something revoltingly stupid again. The prospect of "feeling like you're 19 again" is not a selling point to me at least.

This seems to be an article written by people who I really don't think have experienced what they're writing about. But that's just MHO. I'll be interested to hear what other singles think.

The article gives very sketchy reasons why the following are great for singles over 65, but going to wineries with your friends is one suggestion for Santa Rosa, CA. That sounds real good to me right now, esp considering this cruddy economy!

Ten great places for single seniors to retire:
• Columbus, Ga.
• Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
• Memphis, Tenn.
• Milford, Conn.
• Providence, R.I.
• Quincy, Mass.
• Reno, Nev.
• Santa Fe, N.M.
• Santa Rosa, Calif.
• Towson, Md.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I *LOVE* your review of the article!! You are so right, and the article is so clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
"Try some activity that you are not very good at and ask for help," advises Gray. "Men bond with women more easily when they are doing something to help the woman."

Hilarious! Gray must have stepped into the way-back machine!
I can see it now. "Please help helpless little ol' me to do whateveritis, because you are so BIG and STRONG and SMART..." That is so phony!!! Sure, some guys fall for that but a girl has to have a little self respect.

I remember way back when women were supposed to fake being incompetent in something to interest a man. For example, repeatedly hitting the ball into the net at tennis (on purpose) would do it. Then the man can help you improve your forehand. I could never bring myself to act like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #3

That was one of the stupidest articles I've read in quite some time. Doesn't the term 'swinging' refer to a group of folks with certain sexual tastes I won't go into here?

Quote:
...now that the child-rearing years are largely behind you, it's the perfect time to find someone you truly enjoy spending time with.
So, what were you looking for originally? Someone to fertilize you or bear your children, depending upon your gender?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
That was one of the stupidest articles I've read in quite some time. Doesn't the term 'swinging' refer to a group of folks with certain sexual tastes I won't go into here?

So, what were you looking for originally? Someone to fertilize you or bear your children, depending upon your gender?
EXACTLY!!!! I'm so glad that some others agree that the article was really LAME. If I had written the article I would have interviewed some over-65 singles in various towns and asked what they liked about it, what they did with their friends, and then if dating happened to come up I would add that information too. I wouldn't lead with the idea that being single=dating! That's just not true, IMHO.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

The article was lame . Looking at my friends who are single and dating there is one common element . The willingness to meet people and open themselves up to a relationship . I started dating at 52 after being widowed and it was frightening but I felt I wanted to try . It was not easy and at times it was very frightful ( taking my clothes off after many years married was beyond scary . In fact I quizzed my now SO about everything before I would even entertain that idea . )But I figured what did I have to lose .Life is an adventure and there are no perfect places to meet people but if you open your heart to the possibility you may be surprised .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Love your rants today, Oldbabe, can I call you by your first name? nm. Went to an orchid show today, leaving SO at home. The over-60 crowd was out in full force, chatting everyone up. The place was like a '60s fern bar. If you ever want to chat with strangers of both sexes, just carry a box of orchids up a hill. One of them jokingly asked if I would share one of them; that was a missed opportunity, I could have said, "could you help carry them?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4526.jpg (452.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4496.jpg (732.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4562.jpg (663.4 KB, 4 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Love your rants today, Oldbabe, can I call you by your first name? nm. Went to an orchid show today, leaving SO at home. The over-60 crowd was out in full force, chatting everyone up. The place was like a '60s fern bar. If you ever want to chat with strangers of both sexes, just carry a box of orchids up a hill. One of them jokingly asked if I would share one of them; that was a missed opportunity, I could have said, "could you help carry them?"
\

Those are beautiful flowers! I love orchids! Thanks, CuppaJoe, for posting those. Fern bar or not, I would have loved to have been there.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
there's no chance in hell that I will ever feel like or think like I'm 19 and do something revoltingly stupid again. The prospect of "feeling like you're 19 again" is not a selling point to me at least.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Even better:

Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Perfect!! The video didn't show the guy tapping his cigarette ashes onto the floor and then stepping on them, or leaving six pounds of hair clogging the drain every time he takes a shower, but it did indeed capture some je ne sais quoi related to this enigma.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Perfect!! The video didn't show the guy tapping his cigarette ashes onto the floor and then stepping on them, or leaving six pounds of hair clogging the drain every time he takes a shower, but it did indeed capture some je ne sais quoi related to this enigma.
A lot of unattrractive behaviors come attached to a penis. C'est dommage mes amies!

Ha
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A lot of unattrractive behaviors come attached to a penis. C'est dommage mes amies!

Ha
I'll suffer through.......
Old 03-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh, the irony! What could be more attractive to the ladies than a full head of hair on a guy smoking. No wonder they say bald guys are sexier.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plenty of men my age here in CO would like to score with someone, esp. if that somone is 10 years younger!
and here's why:

Denver among "most manly" U.S. cities
Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Woo-hoo! Line up girls, your hearthrob likes monster truck events and lots of salty snacks. And he'll squire you to a chaotic sports bar with hunderds of TVs on the wall. What, no intimate dinners in hushed Hungarian restaurants, he looking suave in a dark suit, you lovely with the warm candle-light gently playing on your lovely bosom?

Suck it up chicas, if he liked womanly stuff he'd be a woman wouldn't he?

Ha
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Suck it up chicas, if he liked womanly stuff he'd be a woman wouldn't he?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

This thread is sooo much fun.

Real Good Man
Old 03-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This thread is sooo much fun.
I think we may have hijacked it pretty thoroughly!

Ha
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have yet to read anything about "dating after age 50" that doesn't have a condescending, "as if" tone.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This is a great thread beats the heck out of talking about the comedy. In the first video can anybody translate what they are advertising.?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote