Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the low level stabilizer I made. Something similar yet smaller would work for a smaller camera and might fit in a pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 11.44.06 AM.jpg (558.7 KB, 12 views)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Easy. Gitzo.

Aluminum Reporter models are remarkably cheap on eBay. Get the 4 section legs called the Compact model. Under $150 shipped should be easily achievable with a little patience.So not even that high a price.

I seem to be finding a lot of Gitzo tripods on E-bay... A lot of them are called 'Compact', but they seem to be different and the price varies widely. Is there a specific model that you could recommend?
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #23

Depends on what you want. Short for tabletop use? Or normal height? Or heavy duty studio type?
This site will let you sort or research different models. I prefer carbon fiber for all of the above reasons. I have a GT1542T with a PhotoClam ballhead.
https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo/tripods
Don't forget the ballhead, or fluid head if you plan to shoot video. But the fluid head won't support a heavy lens as well unless you can get it balanced with a tripod mount lens.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use a Pedco UltraPod II because it is lightweight enough for backpacking and ALSO can be strapped to inanimate objects such as a tree or trekking pole. It beats out GorillaPod which many folks have reported breaking. It costs between $10 and $20. See reviews on youtube, such as
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I use a Pedco UltraPod II because it is lightweight enough for backpacking and ALSO can be strapped to inanimate objects such as a tree or trekking pole.
I use the Ultrapod II with my Panasonic 4K camcorder. I like that it fits easily in my backpack and is quick to set up. I've also strapped it to handrails to film sunsets, and to a tree branch to film us boating on a lake. Handy little gadget that takes up very little room.

However, most of the time I just use an Opteka MP100 Monopod. It helps me stabilize my video, is instantly ready to go when I need to film wildlife, and it makes a handy walking stick too for crossing streams or going down rough terrain.

https://www.amazon.com/Opteka-MP100-...QO0/ref=sr_1_1

Around home where size isn't an issue, I have a Velbon EX630 tripod that I use to film DIY projects.

https://www.amazon.com/Velbon-EX-630...CI2/ref=sr_1_1
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I made a couple of my own. One from an Irwin clamp that I use to take photos in my workshop. Another I made from mdf for low level shots.
What are you using for the camera mount and where did you get that? I’d like to try that. Already have the Irwin clamp
Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
I use a Pedco UltraPod II because it is lightweight enough for backpacking
1. The review video was excellent.
2. There is a newer version -- https://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPo.../dp/B016P6SEO6
3. I just ordered one.
Thanks
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #28

Quote:
I use a Pedco UltraPod II because it is lightweight enough for backpacking and ALSO can be strapped to inanimate objects such as a tree or trekking pole. It beats out GorillaPod which many folks have reported breaking. It costs between $10 and $20.

OK, Thanks! ...... This is exactly the kind of device I have been searching for.... While I do use a tripod, I don't like traveling with one.... This one has the compactness that I was looking for.... Ordered one !!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
What are you using for the camera mount and where did you get that? I’d like to try that. Already have the Irwin clamp

I took the mount from a gorillapod clone that had a broken leg. Works fine, but I want to swap the mount out for something more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/UTEBIT-Alumin...a-568536106222
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #30

This is my rig for shooting 4K videos and time lapse. The tripod can be extended to 62" high. The legs can fold up to convert it to a shoulder rig and support handles for walking shots with the gimbal. I have a 3 axis gimbal mounted on the ball head of the tripod for stabilization and also to make very smooth cinematic pans and walking shots. I can also control the gimbal from my phone for complete hands free operation and program it to perform motion time lapses. Everything folds up nicely into a small sling back pack where I also carry 4 more lenses and filters and other accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1982.JPG (278.8 KB, 5 views)
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I didn't have much luck with Gorrillapod, didn't seem that rock solid stable as far as securing it

The photo blogs were touting Platypod for awhile, when I guess the company was paying them.

I went to NZ last month where it was very windy. I carried around my tripod for the first time during the day because I wanted to shoot more time lapses.

So my travel tripod is carbon fiber and folds to about 15 inches and extends to about 5.5 feet. What I did was just carry it around. Fold in the legs and retract the center column but not fold it all the way and put into a case. I just grabbed it by the ball head and went from place to place as I walked around. It's about 3 pounds or so.

Usually I pack it on every trip but leave it at the hotel unless I'm shooting stuff at night.

Now, I'm going to consider getting some kind of ballast to counteract the wind.

As far as the smallest ones getup, I thought about gimbals but those are definitely not small. I prefer making panos now for landscapes so I may consider some kind of robot pan-tilt head which would be controlled by an app. or maybe a drone.

But I saw some pictures posted using the Night Sight feature of the new Google Pixel phones. They take multiple pictures and blend together the most stable ones. The results looked very good.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #32

Most portable tripods have a hook at the bottom of the center section where you can hang your bag to add weight to stabilize it during windy conditions. The gimbal I have is a Crane-M which is for lighter mirrorless cameras. I can't use my Canon DSLRs on this gimbal. But then again, they would be too heavy to carry around for long periods of time on a gimbal.

Today looks like a good day for shooting a time lapse sunset with a lot of nice clouds and a deep blue sky. I'm getting ready for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1988.JPG (312.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yeah but my camera bag isn't that heavy when I take the camera out.

There are these nylon things you can install on the tripod legs and then put weight on them.

People put in sand or rocks but you obviously don't want to carry around something that heavy.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #34

To stabilize the tripod, it would be better to hang a weight at the center at a higher COG under the camera. This is why many lightweight tripods have a retractable hook at the bottom of the center post. If your bag is too light, you can use a any nylon or plastic bag and fill it with rocks or sand and hang it on the hook. The weight of my bag with the extra lenses and filters and other stuff, is normally good enough and I can keep an eye on it also.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
I seem to be finding a lot of Gitzo tripods on E-bay... A lot of them are called 'Compact', but they seem to be different and the price varies widely. Is there a specific model that you could recommend?
Sure. (Sorry for the delay; I was in the Rome airport when I read your post. Now back home.)

This is a good one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-Repor...ZtSX:rk:5:pf:0 Though I would throw away the head and put a good ball head on it. I would also never extend the center column as shown. That really kills stability. This one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-G226-...~yD:rk:32:pf:0 aalready has a ball head (an unknown brand to me) but it is more money.

There are also several auctions for Reporter models with three leg sections. This is not a killer but it does mean that the tripod when collapsed is longer to carry and store.

Gitzo has tripods in sizes from 00 through 5. The sweet spot IMO is the 2-series, "Reporter" designation. A 1-series might be adequate; I have never laid hands on one though. The 2-series largest leg diameter is 28mm/1 1/8" The 1-series is 24mm/7/8" Stiffness goes up as the fourth power of diameter IIRC so that is not a small difference. Just ask a seller what the largest leg diameter is and you can be sure of which series he is selling.

If you want to PM me an email address I will send you (or anyone else) a PDF of the relevant Gitzo catalog. It has all the modesl, sizes, weights, etc. I believe the one in the auction is a G226 Reporter Compact Performance model. "Compact" identifies the four-section leg and "Performance" identifies the adjustable leg angles.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote