Drew Brees 0 0%
Ben Roethlisberger 0 0%
Andrew Luck 1 1.47%
Matt Ryan 0 0%
Other 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Life long Pats fan (since playing pee-wee football on the "Patriots"). I'll admit if you only look at 2014 ... Rodgers. If you're looking a careers .... Brady by a long shot. FIVE Superbowl appearances.

Nothing else maters.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Life long Pats fan (since playing pee-wee football on the "Patriots"). I'll admit if you only look at 2014 ... Rodgers. If you're looking a careers .... Brady by a long shot. FIVE Superbowl appearances.

Nothing else maters.
It's too soon to put Rodgers in the best all time rankings but Brady is not above Manning. Manning is quite a bit better. Brady has been on better teams, that doesn't make him better. Terry Bradshaw has 4 Superbowl rings but he's not in the top 10 best all time.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post

Nothing else maters.
Brady is great but his 3 SB wins all happened 9 or more years ago. He and the Pats lost their last two SB's to the NY Giants, even though the Pats were the odds on favorites. In 2008, the Giants had a 10-6 regular season record vs the undefeated Pats. That SB loss has been called one of the greatest upsets ever, it was painful to watch. And the Brady Pats got a chance to redeem themselves in 2012, and lost again.

I'm married to a Pats fan, and don't root against them, but Brady's SB successes were quite a while ago...the last nine years matter.

Not pertinent to 2014, but Montana hasn't been bested yet IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprun54 View Post
Luck

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I would love to agree as a Colts fan, but too many turnovers. WAY too many the last few weeks.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

If J.J. Watt was a quarterback, he'd get all the votes down this way....but, I vote for Rodgers.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If J.J. Watt was a quarterback, he'd get all the votes down this way....but, I vote for Rodgers.
Now that's a thought. He'd probably be just as good (or better) than Fitzpatrick in his first game. I'd bet if he threw an interception, he would stop any long returns by himself.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a Bears fan and it hurts, but Rodgers with Manning a close second.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Rogers this year.

I have so much respect for Manning. My home team looses(hope that's the right word ) twice a year to his team. Probably the best QB in history (IMHO).

It scares me to see him play every game. I had a similar injury and was told "never paint a ceiling, it would be good if you didn't change a light bulb, ever". I have so much admiration for the man. I don't want to ever see him injuried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
I'm a Bears fan and it hurts, but Rodgers with Manning a close second.

+1

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
At this point in time for this particular season, it almost isn't even a debatable topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My opinion also.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Rodgers this season for sure. Certainly, stat-wise, Manning is arguably the best ever, and Brady's stats are right up there too.

But there are intangibles that aren't reflected so much in the stats that make guys like the aforementioned Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikmen greater QBs than their stats might indicate.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm not a fan of Romo at all but the guy has the second best quarterback rating in the league and he's the leader of a very solid playoff team-possibly the 3rd best team in the NFC. I think he deserves to be on the list this year although he is towards the bottom end.

Cutler is way worse than Romo.
I think Romo is a perfect example of why one can't count QB rating alone in comparisons. He's tough, playing hurt, but come crunch time in a big game, I'd much prefer to have others on that list.

I think Cutler's regressed to even below average. He has a strong arm but is just horrible in turning over the ball.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #33

Quote:
It's too soon to put Rodgers in the best all time rankings but Brady is not above Manning. Manning is quite a bit better. Brady has been on better teams, that doesn't make him better. Terry Bradshaw has 4 Superbowl rings but he's not in the top 10 best all time.
Quite a bit??

Manning may be the better regular season QB but when it counts in the playoffs Brady's record is 18-7 and Manning is 10-11.

Better teams? Manning had some pretty good teams in Indy and now in Denver and he has had more talented Hall of Fame receivers in his career than Brady (and when Brady had a more talented receiver in Randy Moss in 2007 he broke all passing records and the Pats went 18-1)

But the poll asked who is the best QB in 2014 and most people agree that it's Rodgers.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1

The majority of Manning's teams have been below average defensively when compared to Brady's so hard to compare based on wins alone.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #35

Rodgers is the best right now, by a long shot. Here's something interesting though. Russell Wilson is the lowest paid starting QB in the league. Every good team has a franchise QB who gets paid a ridiculous amount of money which handicaps them from signing other stars at other positions (except for Seattle). What do you think is going to happen when Wilson gets a new contract and gets paid $18 million / yr or more? Seattle is going to have to cut and / or not resign several key players to get under the salary cap and that is the beginning of the end.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #36

I went for Rodgers even though I'm a Lions fan. This would be more fun if it were possible to rank order the choices and then do a sum for each to see how close it is for the others.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
What do you think is going to happen when Wilson gets a new contract and gets paid $18 million / yr or more? Seattle is going to have to cut and / or not resign several key players to get under the salary cap and that is the beginning of the end.
They can just do what Jerry does, restructure a bunch of other contracts
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think Romo is a perfect example of why one can't count QB rating alone in comparisons. He's tough, playing hurt, but come crunch time in a big game, I'd much prefer to have others on that list.

I think Cutler's regressed to even below average. He has a strong arm but is just horrible in turning over the ball.
+1. Romo is technically capable, but not mentally. Reminds me of Greg Norman and others, great players who didn't win much.

I live near Chicago so I hear more Bears news than I care for, but Cutler is like Romo, except inferior technically and mentally. He's a loser. I'd hate to be a Bears fan right now, and we have several friends who are.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
They can just do what Jerry does, restructure a bunch of other contracts
Or continue being the best front office team in the league and find more franchaise players in the 3rd (Wilson) and 5th (Sherman) rounds.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #40
gone traveling

Romo throws way too many passes that are not thrown to the optimal or at least a good spot (behind the receiver, too low hitting someone on the run, etc), but they are caught anyway making his stats look good. However, Tony does not perform well in the big games and has too often been the principal culprit in the Cowboys getting a loss, where the great QBs become difference makers. I also cannot stand when he blames others on the field whether he is right or wrong. It made me sick, seeing Jerry give him that huge long term contract.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote