Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best, Safest, Easiest Way to Make This Move
Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best, Safest, Easiest Way to Make This Move

My adult daughter and my adult ex-wife are returning to California after living the last 10 years in and around Madison, Wisconsin. The daughter and ex-wife do not live together.

The question is: What’s the best, easiest, safest way for them to do the move? Expense is not really a major issue.

Both have cars. (The daughter has a Toyota Tundra with bags of sand and salt in the truck bed –this being a topic of a previous thread).

They both have some furniture, kitchen ware and clothing to move.
Daughter has two small dogs (about 8-10 pounds each). The dogs are coming to California (end of discussion).

One option is the ex-wife flying back and having her car, furniture, clothes all shipped. (That’s the option she finds most appealing). We don't think the daughter can use this same option because of the two dogs. There is also some discussion about selling the Tundra in Wisconsin and then the daughter drive the ex-wife’s car drive back. We would help buy the daughter a car when daughter gets to Calif.

Anyhow, there are all kinds of options here, and once again, money is not much of an issue, so any ideas about a good way to do the logistics would be appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
. There is also some discussion about selling the Tundra in Wisconsin and then the daughter drive the ex-wife’s car drive back. We would help buy the daughter a car when daughter gets to Calif.

I like that option
Old 07-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

It sounds like the dogs are small enough to go in carriers under airplane seats, so both women could fly, each carrying on one dog. Have professional movers ship everything else, including whichever car(s) they keep. That should be easiest and safest, but they have to carefully research and follow the airline policy for traveling with pets.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You should fly out to Wisconsin and rent a U-Haul truck, load up all their stuff and the three of you have a little road trip back to California. It would be an easy three or four day drive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hire movers. The dogs can fly. The car can be shipped for under a grand.

Do they have a place to stay picked out? If not the movers can store the stuff.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Hire movers. The dogs can fly. The car can be shipped for under a grand.

Do they have a place to stay picked out? If not the movers can store the stuff.
We ended up buying a ford e250 van for our animals, supplies (air mattresses etc.) to keep us alive until the movers arrived and driving 3 days. We had allied pack and move us. The subarus were shipped.

I didn't trust the movers with my firearms and metals. Plus we had 3 cats we were able to cage in the van. Not sure if the OPs folks have guns and metal to worry about.

Good thing we didn't fly, the movers were over two weeks late. -1 for allied. Thankfully one of the items that made it into the van were my golf clubs.

They give you a delivery window. If they miss it, you really have no recourse. OP keep that in mind.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still trying to figure out why you used the adjective "adult" to describe your ex-wife?

I agree with SteveNU; just fly out to Madison and rent a u-haul.

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I am still trying to figure out why you used the adjective "adult" to describe your ex-wife?

I agree with SteveNU; just fly out to Madison and rent a u-haul.

Marc
he said money was no object. why cut corners?
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
You should fly out to Wisconsin and rent a U-Haul truck, load up all their stuff and the three of you have a little road trip back to California. It would be an easy three or four day drive.

If you don't mind doing 60 mph the whole way. Plus those things aren't that easy to turn and park.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If you are on good terms with your adult ex-wife, this would be my suggestion

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sell everything and leave the rest in Wisconsin. Surely, somebody in Wisconsin can use those bags of salt and sand that won't be needed in yonder California.

Then start Life over.

We moved a few times. The best results were when the Movers lost EVERYTHING we had.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #12

They could load the car on a rental trailer and pull that with the truck.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #13

Best, safest, easiest? Hire professional moving co and let them do the work. Unless daughter is really tied to the Tundra, sell it and then drive ex-wife's car with dogs back. Alternatively let movers handle car and then fly with dogs in carriers. Assumes the dogs are reasonably good and will travel OK on plane.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Does DD want the Tundra? Is it worth $950 to move it? If so just go all in with the movers. To eliminate the issues of delayed shipping check out direct movers.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
It sounds like the dogs are small enough to go in carriers under airplane seats, so both women could fly, each carrying on one dog. Have professional movers ship everything else, including whichever car(s) they keep. That should be easiest and safest, but they have to carefully research and follow the airline policy for traveling with pets.
The dogs might be small enough for the plane, but apparently they are high-strung, so it now sounds like this part of the potential plan isn't going to work. But, I'm still all for the professional movers moving everything that can be moved.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #16

Quote:

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
They could load the car on a rental trailer and pull that with the truck.
Believe me, there is no chance of renting a U-Haul truck or trailer. It just makes it all more complicated and less freeing--more things to think and be concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
he said money was no object. why cut corners?
Yep. Sticking to that story--money is no object, so why cut corners?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
My adult daughter and my adult ex-wife are returning to California...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Marc
I just liked the way it sounded.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #18

They are adults. I'd let them figure it out. Especially your daughter. It's hard to grow up if mom/dad do everything for you. Just my two cents.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The dogs might be small enough for the plane, but apparently they are high-strung, so it now sounds like this part of the potential plan isn't going to work. But, I'm still all for the professional movers moving everything that can be moved.
The vet can give a prescription for doggy downers. We had one guy that intermittently would have issues when traveling, he generally loved traveling but sometimes... He'd just sleep and wake up a little groggy but didn't seem to mind.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
They are adults. I'd let them figure it out. Especially your daughter. It's hard to grow up if mom/dad do everything for you. Just my two cents.
Oh, yeah, they will figure it out. But, there's a number of variables and I think it's an interesting situation. Sharing ideas doesn't stop people from growing up, does it?