Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Beware Small Dogs - You Could Get Hooked...
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beware Small Dogs - You Could Get Hooked...

We grew up with Boxers, a Lab and several Brittanies. Since we married, we had two pairs of Sheltie’s for over 30 years and considered them small dogs, anything smaller wasn’t appealing to us.

While they’re working, I’ve been daysitting the neighbors 3-1/2 month old Havanese until he’s fully housebroken. I doubt he weighs more than 2-3 lbs, supposedly 7-12 lbs when he’s an adult. He couldn’t be cuter or more playful I won’t go into the joyful details, but it’s a good thing he’s already spoken for or he could be our dog. I’ll have to remember not to even look at small dogs when it comes time to adopt again. Or I may have to rely on DW to keep us focused on middle/larger dogs.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

WE have had small dogs-Maltese for the past 13 years. They have ranged from 4-10lbs. WE got into rescue work and at times have had 4. We are downsizing now thorough natural attrition. One thing I love is when they cuddle your neck. Being small they can just wrap themselves round your neck. Pure heaven)
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been a big fan of small dogs my whole life. Maltese, tiny-toy poodles, Havanese, Maltipoo, etc, etc. They're adorable, easier to clean up after, and don't shed. I honestly don't see the appeal of bigger dogs like labs or even full-sized poodles vs. the little ones. IMHO, the little ones give you everything the big ones do in a smaller, cuter, easier to manage, (generally) longer-lived package.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We inherited a big dog from my son-80lb husky/shepherd mix. He is a shedding machine big time. He is a great dog to take on long walks and is protective of me. Those are the pluses but the shedding does get old. He thinks he is a lap dog and will get right on top of you. I will miss him when gone but won't get another big dog. Also when the little ones can't walk much yu can carry them around and they can live longer. When the big ones can't walk it is over.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I've been a big fan of small dogs my whole life. Maltese, tiny-toy poodles, Havanese, Maltipoo, etc, etc. They're adorable, easier to clean up after, and don't shed. I honestly don't see the appeal of bigger dogs like labs or even full-sized poodles vs. the little ones. IMHO, the little ones give you everything the big ones do in a smaller, cuter, easier to manage, (generally) longer-lived package.
I doubt a burglar would agree with you!
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
WE have had small dogs-Maltese for the past 13 years. They have ranged from 4-10lbs. WE got into rescue work and at times have had 4. We are downsizing now thorough natural attrition. One thing I love is when they cuddle your neck. Being small they can just wrap themselves round your neck. Pure heaven)
We've had two Maltese. Our first was the dog of a lifetime, Chris. In 2000 my c-spine went whacko and my PCP was incompetent. It took 6 weeks for him to refer me to pain management, while he cut my opiods off! I was ready to take a walk with a 44, the pain was unbearable.

The only thing that helped was that little dog. He'd lay next to me and snuggle. He never left my side.😢

Chris had a hard life, he'd gotten into some rat poison and almost didn't make it. They gave him a transfusion and that helped but they couldn't get him to eat. The only thing he'd do is lick nasty food off our fingers as we held him. We went down several times daily to help him eat till they let us take him home.

We got another Maltese when he was getting older. He's a good dog, but nothing like his older brother. When we finally had Chris put down the house was too quite, as much as we tried to avoid it, there was a new Shitzu-Chin mix that came home soon.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have had only West Highland Terriers since 1970. This is mine now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Katie walk.jpg (272.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We inherited a big dog from my son-80lb husky/shepherd mix. He is a shedding machine big time.
Thirty-plus years ago we had two mixed husky/shepherd mixes, one much larger than the other. The larger one I should have named "Pigpen" because when she walked through a beam of sunlight in the house I could see the hair falling off just like the Peanuts character. We had to vacuum at least once a day.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have two toy poodles weighing 12 pounds total. We've found that small dogs = small mess. Another benefit is that we have friends and family lining up to dog sit when we go out of town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Dogs.jpg (854.4 KB, 60 views)
Secondact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm, I understand the practicality of small dogs, but enjoy the companionship of big dogs. Huggable, hike and swim companions, and such good security.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171113_121854.jpg (536.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I love small dogs. Below is a photo of me and our toy poodle, taken in 1961 when she was 5 and I was 12, going on 13. She lived to almost 18 years old and was very nearly the most loved and cherished pet that ever lived.

Frank had a toy poodle for years, and they are his favorite dog too. His was apricot colored and gorgeous. We help each other to resist the temptation of buying another toy poodle, because we don't honestly feel like we are up to taking on any serious responsibilities like that right now. But maybe some day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 - CLC_Hexeli.JPG (25.2 KB, 52 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love all dogs but since we live in a condo, small dogs are more practical. Before we got a dog, we thought about getting a rescue greyhound. The greyhound rescue people brought two of them over to our condo. That helped us realize a small dog would be a better fit for us. We have a Pomeranian mix, possibly PomChi but not sure since he's a rescue.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
We've always had medium sized dogs.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

We've always had medium sized dogs.

We've always had medium sized dogs. But after losing our second ~50# short haired female mutt. We decided to go big.

She is a rescue and will be four in January.
We fostered another Dane before her, it was too hard giving her up and we adopted instead the next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-11-12 11.31.08.jpg (293.1 KB, 44 views)
2k6_TX_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful Great Dane!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #15

DH thought he wasn't a dog person until we dog-sat an adorable 15-lb poodle for two weeks. When she went home, he said "let's get a dog." It took several months but we've had our 8-lb. maltipoo (?) for 2 years and he's the best thing to happen to us since having kids. He's a great snuggler (which is not so great during Texas summers, but hey, that's why we have A/C!).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

DH and I belong to an 11 pound papillon named Tristan. He's a gentle and kind owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8065.jpg (608.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
DH and I belong to a papillon named Tristan. He's a gentle and kind owner.
Papillons are great. One of the top AKC agility dogs is a Papillion. There is also a papillon named Lady GaGa who is an amazing dock diver. You can find her videos on YouTube.
Smart, easy to train, happy little dogs.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have had only West Highland Terriers since 1970. This is mine now.
One of the most versatile breeds out there!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #19

I have had working dachshunds forever. Here is Roxie, who just competed in an AKC scent work competition last weekend. Passed each element, came in 2nd overall in exterior search.

Dachshunds are misunderstood by many. Not a dog that can sit still, they do enjoy a job, scent work, tracking (there is a group who do blood tracking for deer hunters during deer season), earth dog, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AKCscent.jpg (92.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I have had working dachshunds forever. Here is Roxie, who just competed in an AKC scent work competition last weekend. Passed each element, came in 2nd overall in exterior search.

Dachshunds are misunderstood by many. Not a dog that can sit still, they do enjoy a job, scent work, tracking (there is a group who do blood tracking for deer hunters during deer season), earth dog, etc.
My Dad used to hunt pheasant, and he had a series of trained hunting dogs, mostly Brittany Spaniels. Once he quit hunting, they bought a Dachshund (Max) because they figured it would be easy to handle. With those short legs surely Max couldn't get too far away. After my Dad had the dog for awhile he said 'you would not believe how fast that damn Dachshund was, I couldn't catch him to save my life.'

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote