Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Did you encounter any "resistance" in going to the Apple store? Did you just pop up there or did you make an appt? I was trying to get an appt to get what you had done but seem to be getting some subtle resistance/deflection/reasssurances/etc. so no appt yet. I think I'd feel better if somebody who knew something actually checked it out rather than just getting reassurance.
I was freaked out that DH might have had some financial stuff that could have been compromised so we drove to the Apple store immediately without an appt. (It's only ten minutes from our house). Someone there took care of DH right away. I made Apple guy explain why the Macbook was not compromised in all likelihood and I believed him, but it was good to have all DH's files "cleaned up" just in case. Of course, then they found 30k random secret emails hidden in it (kidding!)....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I believe the apple products (newer ones) are based on BSD, not linux. While they look similar and many applications will run on both, the way the system is configured differently and the licensing is significantly different.

But what do I know... I don't own a MAC. I used one for work a while back. It was a nice laptop. * I'm not anti-MAC.
You are correct. I was sloppy in my wording as I said "Apple is based on a linux" , when in reality BSD and Linux are based on Unix , and when I say based I don't mean copied.

I've also used Mac's at work locations, and at one they gave me a Mac, so I installed Linux as dual boot and use that. It totally weirds them out I'm not running Mac as a Mac.
At home I use Windows and Linux as I don't need to pay the Apple tax.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I was freaked out that DH might have had some financial stuff that could have been compromised so we drove to the Apple store immediately without an appt. (It's only ten minutes from our house). Someone there took care of DH right away. I made Apple guy explain why the Macbook was not compromised in all likelihood and I believed him, but it was good to have all DH's files "cleaned up" just in case. Of course, then they found 30k random secret emails hidden in it (kidding!)....
Lucky you! I was under the impression that you had to wait forever w/o an appt but maybe that's the way to go since they seem to be trying to nudge me gently from making an appt.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Lucky you! I was under the impression that you had to wait forever w/o an appt but maybe that's the way to go since they seem to be trying to nudge me gently from making an appt.
I think it depends on how busy they are. I have 3 stores within about 10miles and have to wait about 3 days for an appt. A drop in appt wait is approx 1-2hours although could be longer.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I must have gotten a pop-up like the OP describes at least 10 times over the last few months. I just restart the computer and all is good. I run Malwarebytes and anti virus software and all say there's no problem. Just ignore the message and restart your computer, no big deal.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
How did BIL pay the $300? Credit Card? If so, did he contest it? If he paid with Green Dot, Western Union, Money Order, Direct access to his bank account, Bitcoin etc. etc. then he would probably not have any recourse.

The non-standard (ie non-CC) payment methods would be a dead-giveaway to me that something is not on the up and up.

Just curious how these folks are managing to collect.

-gauss

Yes, by CC... I think he contested it but I haven't heard the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

This is the software I used to eliminate Mackeeper adware:
https://themacadvantage.com/ca/Mac_V..._Warnings.html
I found mention of it on Apple forums.

Malwarebytes for Mac is another possibility.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I cleared the Chrome cache/history so that the bad link was not be there.
Everything seemed to be fine but I was worried about residual effect.
I called Apple Support today and the rep seemed to think everything was fine. He said these bad guys aren't so much interested in infecting you as getting money from you if you call that tollfree number. He said he gets 10 calls a day like this and is 100% sure everything is ok. I asked if he would be 110% sure and he said yes.

Do you believe him?
I don't believe him. It's a foolish thing to say. Without seeing the specific message, and running a program or two, one does not know.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You are correct. I was sloppy in my wording as I said "Apple is based on a linux" , when in reality BSD and Linux are based on Unix , and when I say based I don't mean copied.

I've also used Mac's at work locations, and at one they gave me a Mac, so I installed Linux as dual boot and use that. It totally weirds them out I'm not running Mac as a Mac.
At home I use Windows and Linux as I don't need to pay the Apple tax.
What is the Apple Tax?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What is the Apple Tax?
I'm guessing that the Apple tax is the premium you pay to buy a Mac over the cost of buying comparable hardware and following a cookbook to assemble the hardware into a computer and load your favorite Linux distro.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
I'm guessing that the Apple tax is the premium you pay to buy a Mac over the cost of buying comparable hardware and following a cookbook to assemble the hardware into a computer and load your favorite Linux distro.
Or you could say it's what you pay for a well integrated system of hardware and software and amazing support from a company that builds top quality products.

Depends on your perspective.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Or you could say it's what you pay for a well integrated system of hardware and software and amazing support from a company that builds top quality products.

Depends on your perspective.
Personally, I have no gripe with Apple. However, from Sunset's perspective, and bearing in mind that he took a working Mac and loaded Linux on it, it may seem like a tax.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote