Beyond Meat Burger and Impossible Burger 2.0

This thread is NOT intended to proselytize about (not) eating beef. Please start another thread if you’re interested in that discussion.

But for those looking for an alternative to beef burgers, IMO these alternatives are far better than turkey, chicken or black bean burgers in our view - we’ve tried them all. ...

Why do you want to avoid Whole Foods lean ground beef?

If it is because of cancer worries, there was a NY Times article recently that indicated the most risk was with processed meats. I mention this because it made me feel better about eating a Mediterranean diet with some meat included. Here is a quote from this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/well/eat/is-eating-deli-meats-really-that-bad-for-you.html?rref=collection%2Fbyline%2Froni-caryn-rabin&action=click&contentCollection=undefined&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=collection

Unprocessed red meat, by comparison, increases cancer risk only at amounts greater than 100 grams a day, and the evidence for that link is limited

On the comparison of the Beyond Meat Burger to animal based beef it looks like the BMB won on saturated fat. That's a win for BMB. I am interested in cutting down on saturated fat.

What about the cost for a Beyond Meat Burger? We shop at Whole Foods hence the interest.

As an engineer I've seen a couple of the fake meat manufacturing processes.

Its like hot dogs. If you watch them made, you won't eat it. I'll eat a hot dog (or maybe even Soylent Green) before I'll eat the abomination (don't remember the brand) I watched.
Fellow engineer here, not sure why that matters? Ever see the workings going on inside a slaughter house?

As an engineer I've seen a couple of the fake meat manufacturing processes.

Its like hot dogs. If you watch them made, you won't eat it. I'll eat a hot dog (or maybe even Soylent Green) before I'll eat the abomination (don't remember the brand) I watched.

Have you ever watched real meat processing? Is that less of an abomination?

I should never read these food threads at lunch time

...I have had a few meat-substitute meals. IMO, the best ones are the ones that just try to taste good on their own merits, rather than trying to be something they aren't...

Grilled Portobello mushrooms can be quite 'meaty' tasting though.
+1

I'm an unrepentant lover of bacon cheeseburgers. That said, I also could murder a grilled portobello right now. Mmm!

+1

I'm an unrepentant lover of bacon cheeseburgers. That said, I also could murder a grilled portobello right now. Mmm!

I think sometimes a grilled portobello may even taste better than a beef burger.

Lsbcal said:
What about the cost for a Beyond Meat Burger? We shop at Whole Foods hence the interest.
At our local grocery store, not discount, BMB are $5.99 for 2 patties. I assume that’s about the same as WF.

Last edited:
I recently had an Impossible Burger as part of a restaurant veggie burger, and I thought it was delicious. Probably the best I'd ever tasted in my many years of eating veggie burgers.

I've also tried Beyond Meat burgers from the grocery store, and I have to say I wasn't highly impressed. They are more expensive than the Prime Grillers burgers from Morningstar Farms, and the taste and texture was only marginally better IMHO.

I am very much looking forward to trying some "cloned meat" products once they're available at retail. The company I have heard most about is called Memphis Meats. https://www.memphismeats.com

I've also tried Beyond Meat burgers from the grocery store, and I have to say I wasn't highly impressed. They are more expensive than the Prime Grillers burgers from Morningstar Farms, and the taste and texture was only marginally better IMHO.
Not to argue, but I’ve read BMB are sensitive in handling and that can substantially impact the taste. They come frozen and they should be thawed (overnight or quick thaw) and cooked right away (next/same day?). If they’re left thawed for too long or refrozen they can taste awful once cooked I’ve read.

Looking forward to to trying the Morningstar Prime Grillers and IB2’s. Thanks.

Carl's Junior is selling one of those two burgers. I ordered just the burger and it cost just as much as my wife's value meal. Funny how that is, considering the 15 to 1 ratio to create meat from grains.

As a long-time vegan, it was the best vegan burger I've ever had. I could eat one every day. But if one looks at the ingredients, IMO it's not healthy.

I don't think one could tell the difference between that burger and a regular burger. Again, JMO.

I hadn’t looked until now but from a third party. I’m comfortable with our choice.

Fast Company said:
We’ve all heard about the benefits of plant-based meat alternatives: reduced cholesterol, less impact on the land, animal-friendly, etc. But in terms of its reportedly environmentally friendly practices, how exactly does it measure up to traditional meat? Beyond Meat–makers of non-GMO meat-free burgers, sausages, and chicken strips–discovered it’s quite substantial.

The team discovered that the Beyond Burger generates 90% less greenhouse gas emissions, requires 46% less energy, and has 99% less impact on water scarcity and 93% less impact on land use than a quarter pound of U.S. beef. That means a 41-square-foot plot of land can produce just one beef burger for every 15 Beyond Burgers.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9024183...w-beyond-meats-environmental-impact-stacks-up

Last edited:
...As a long-time vegan, it was the best vegan burger I've ever had... But if one looks at the ingredients, IMO it's not healthy.

Food seems to work that way. If it's absolutely delicious, it's probably not healthy. OK, I'm off to start a thread about healthy food that is delicious. Hope to see some of you there.

I'll keep with the good old portobello mushroom burger

Gay, good point. In fact, I've never thought about having a mushroom burger until this thread. At my $.99 store they always have portobello mushrooms available. Thanks for the idea.

Food seems to work that way. If it's absolutely delicious, it's probably not healthy. OK, I'm off to start a thread about healthy food that is delicious. Hope to see some of you there.

Or we've been indoctrinated that eating healthy foods taste like crap. Being that over 90% of calories eaten is either meat based or refined, doesn't prove that whole foods taste bad.

Not to argue, but I’ve read BMB are sensitive in handling and that can substantially impact the taste. They come frozen and they should be thawed (overnight or quick thaw) and cooked right away (next/same day?). If they’re left thawed for too long or refrozen they can taste awful once cooked I’ve read.

Interesting, thanks. I'll give BMB another try to see if maybe I didn't cook it quite right the first time.

Carl's Junior is selling one of those two burgers. I ordered just the burger and it cost just as much as my wife's value meal. Funny how that is, considering the 15 to 1 ratio to create meat from grains.

Yeah, the economics of veggie burgers puzzles me. Morningstar Farms burgers, for example, cost $4.00 for a pack of four at my local grocery store. This doesn't make sense considering they are using inexpensive ingredients like soy protein nuggets and wheat gluten. Seems like meat burgers should be far more expensive considering the vast amounts of water (12,000 gallons) and grains (15-20 pounds) needed to produce one pound of beef. Is the cost difference due to subsidies the beef industry gets that veggie burger makers don't get?

Or we've been indoctrinated that eating healthy foods taste like crap. Being that over 90% of calories eaten is either meat based or refined, doesn't prove that whole foods taste bad.
Not meaning to play devils advocate but some healthy foods mask and improve the taste of the item with processed ingredients at times. It's up to the person to do some research on what you are putting into your body. If you don't, then enjoy the food!

Interesting, thanks. I'll give BMB another try to see if maybe I didn't cook it quite right the first time.
I wasn’t inferring it was your cooking, more in how the product was handled, before you bought it even.

Probably just lucky, but the package said about 3 minutes a side to an internal temp of 160F. The first time I cooked BMB I used a (ridged) non-stick grill pan. For whatever reason it took 10-12 minutes total to reach 150F+. If I’d gone with 3 minutes a side the first time, it appears they would have been way undercooked. Undercooked I suspect they’d taste like mush. [Undercooked beef isn’t too pleasant either].

The second time cooking BMB last night I used a flat non-stick skillet and hit 155F internal temp in 6-7 minutes (total).

They tasted surprisingly good to me both times. And I’ve eaten thousands of beef burgers over the years. FWIW

Last edited:
Food seems to work that way. If it's absolutely delicious, it's probably not healthy.

I would rephrase that comment to read:

If a highly processed factory made food is delicious, it's probably unhealthy.

The problem is people have forgotten, or never learned, how to take real food and prepare it so it tastes good. One trip to Italy will show you what can be done with real food prepared simply. But, one needs to have some cooking skills.

As far as factory made meat substitutes go, I will wait to see. I remember the many factory made foods that were supposed to be 'better' for me than real food, but turned out to be bad stuff to eat. Examples: trans-fat margarine instead of butter, sugary yogurt instead of whole milk yogurt, highly processed cereals instead of eggs, artificial juice type products instead of real fruit, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
I would rephrase that comment to read:

If a highly processed factory made food is delicious, it's probably unhealthy.

The problem is people have forgotten, or never learned, how to take real food and prepare it so it tastes good. One trip to Italy will show you what can be done with real food prepared simply. But, one needs to have some cooking skills.

As far as factory made meat substitutes go, I will wait to see. I remember to many factory made foods that were supposed to be better for me than real food, but turned out to be bad stuff to eat. Examples: trans-fat margarine instead of butter, sugary yogurt instead of whole milk yogurt, highly processed cereals instead of eggs, artificial juice type products instead of real fruit, etc. etc. etc.
My personal reasons for seeking a plant based burger have little to do with taste alone. I’d just eat beef burgers if that were the case.

But I wholeheartedly agree with your POV in red above. I am very skeptical of “ingredients I can’t pronounce” but some of them are completely healthy. You have to be diligent making choices, and I’ll admit I’ve still been fooled a few times.

Last edited:
The vegetarians in my family want nothing to do with meat-like products; one is vegetarian by religion and the other has always just abhorred meat flavors and textures—at five years old she was taking the burger off the bun at McDonalds. They’ll eat Garden Burgers, which actually taste like vegetables. DH, not a vegetarian, might try the OP’s suggestions but would probably rather just eat the occasional real burger. But good that these ersatz products are available for those who want them.

Now if someone could just direct me to some decent fried chicken....

The vegetarians in my family want nothing to do with meat-like products; one is vegetarian by religion and the other has always just abhorred meat flavors and textures—at five years old she was taking the burger off the bun at McDonalds. They’ll eat Garden Burgers, which actually taste like vegetables. DH, not a vegetarian, might try the OP’s suggestions but would probably rather just eat the occasional real burger. But good that these ersatz products are available for those who want them.

Now if someone could just direct me to some decent fried chicken....
Popeyes or if you can find one, Bojangles. Finger licking good fried chicken.

The vegetarians in my family want nothing to do with meat-like products; one is vegetarian by religion and the other has always just abhorred meat flavors and textures—at five years old she was taking the burger off the bun at McDonalds. They’ll eat Garden Burgers, which actually taste like vegetables. .......

That makes sense to me. I never understood why so many vegetarians want food that duplicates the taste and texture of meat. It seems odd to me. Especially, when there are so many yummy vegetarian recipes to choose from.

Popeyes or if you can find one, Bojangles. Finger licking good fried chicken.

Popeye’s is in our area but unfortunately too spicy for me, but I am a big fan of the Bojangles biscuit when we are in the South.

We’ve limited the amount of red meat we eat for a couple decades so, plant-based burgers (primarily at home) fit into that. We’ve been enjoying BMB for a couple years now; best plant-based burger we’ve found. But, we’ve not yet tried the IB so, will look for that.

Back
Top Bottom