Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I have been buying beef from the same local farmer since 1994. They are vaccinated and wormed but are grass fed until the last 6 weeks, where they begin eating corn produced by the same farmer, in a separate corral. We tried a few years forgoing the corn, and sticking with grass fed for the last 6 weeks. We were disappointed with the flavor, obviously because they were less marbled, and the flavor is in the fat.
When we bought hogs, they, too, were vaccinated and wormed. They were fed the "expired" produce from the local produce market and were never slopped. When hogs are slopped, they are required to receive antibiotics.
My sister and her husband raise chickens and we get some of their eggs. While they are somewhat free range, they have to be in a large coop to prevent them from becoming hawk, coyote and fox food. The USDA definition of free range does not give a time requirement that makes a chicken "free range", it just means that they have access to the outdoors. This may just mean an open window, which may be meaningless to a flightless bird.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting story about how one family has built an individual farm into quite an business:

Principles | Polyface Farms

Quote:
Herbivores in nature exhibit three characteristics: mobbing for predator protection, movement daily onto fresh forage and away from yesterday’s droppings, and a diet consisting of forage only – no dead animals, no chicken manure, no grain, and no fermented forage.

Quote:
An Eggmobile follows the cows in their rotation. The Eggmobile is a 12 ft. X 20 ft. portable henhouse and the laying hens free range from it, eating bugs and scratching through cattle droppings to sanitize the pasture just like … Read more
Quote:
EARTHWORMS: We’re really in the earthworm enhancement business. Stimulating soil biota is our first priority. Soil health creates healthy food.
Could this feed our hundreds of millions or the world's billions? I don't know.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's an interesting story about how one family has built an individual farm into quite an business:

Principles | Polyface Farms

Could this feed our hundreds of millions or the world's billions? I don't know.
Very cool! I spent several years in the Shenandoah Valley and never knew this farm existed.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #104

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/03/04/could-plant-based-meat-be-a-3-trillion-opportunity.html

Interesting
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #105

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/03/04/could-plant-based-meat-be-a-3-trillion-opportunity.html
Old 03-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

Interesting
Quote:
Lost all interest in plant-based meat in less than a minute?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #107

??
Not sure what you mean
Old 03-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #108
Confused about dryer sheets

I have tried Beyond Beef from Whole Foods and it's ok. I prefer Morningstar Chipotle Burgers which I pick up at Costco.
But the Impossible burger is a whole new level! I think they are only available in restaurants. I had one at a restaurant after a long hike and I think it was the best burger I have ever had, including beef. Pink and juicy on the inside-I think they are the first vegetarian option to contain heme. When we head out on our travels this summer I am going to look for a White Castle and check out their version of the Impossible Burger. I hope they make them available in grocery stores soon.
AmieVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #109

Quote:
??
Not sure what you mean
I hear that a lot

But look at post 104 and 105 (which are a minute apart). They are exactly the same except that in post 105 the word "interesting" is no longer there.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieVA View Post
I have tried Beyond Beef from Whole Foods and it's ok. I prefer Morningstar Chipotle Burgers which I pick up at Costco.
But the Impossible burger is a whole new level! I think they are only available in restaurants. I had one at a restaurant after a long hike and I think it was the best burger I have ever had, including beef. Pink and juicy on the inside-I think they are the first vegetarian option to contain heme. When we head out on our travels this summer I am going to look for a White Castle and check out their version of the Impossible Burger. I hope they make them available in grocery stores soon.

The TGI Friday menu shows an Impossible burger option is available for $4 more than a meat based burger. We may have to try it once just to what it is like.
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugit View Post
The TGI Friday menu shows an Impossible burger option is available for $4 more than a meat based burger. We may have to try it once just to what it is like.
I just looked at the TGIF menu online and it shows the Beyond Meat Burger?

Whatever it is, I can't understand why there would be a $4 upcharge unless they're trying to discourage non-meat alternatives.

I do need to find and try an Impossible Burger 2.0 based on all the reviews here. We thought the Beyond Meat Burger and their Hot Italian sausages were very good.

https://www.tgifridays.com/menu/burg...-cheeseburger/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Whatever it is, I can't understand why there would be a $4 upcharge unless they're trying to discourage non-meat alternatives.

I do need to find and try an Impossible Burger 2.0 based on all the reviews here. We thought the Beyond Meat Burger and their Hot Italian sausages were very good.

https://www.tgifridays.com/menu/burg...-cheeseburger/

My apologies, you are correct and I got my Impossible and Beyond burgers mixed up. I will check our local Whole Foods for the Beyond Italian sausage. Our normal go-to Italian sausage is the Lightlife Smart Sausage. Cook them in a skillet until heated through and browned on the outside and eat them with mushroom and cheese pasta, tomato sauce with veg (zucchini, squash, carrot, broccoli, quartered mushrooms). Yum.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I picked up a package of Beyond Meat burgers from Whole Foods and cooked at ate the burgers for dinner. Overall, I'll give a grade of B for flavor. I think the taste was more like a Bocca burger than real beef. I do like Bocca burgers. Appearance, didn't cook as dark as beef.

Tasty, but I'm not about to turn to Beyond Meat instead of beef anytime soon. Especially at $6 for two medium sized patties.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #114

Quote:

Black Dog, a very popular BBQ restaurant/bar in Champaign offers Impossible Burger. Had one last night, excellent. Cannot tell the difference from meat burger.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Just read Red Robin is going to offer the Impossible Burger 2.0 at all 570 locations beginning in May. Article says their largest rollout yet. Looking forward to trying one.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/imp...rger-red-robin

Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #116

In the news today there are reports that Burger King is testing an Impossible Whopper at restaurants in the St Luis area. Usual caveat given the date but it seems legit.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/01/in...sible-whopper/
Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just read Red Robin is going to offer the Impossible Burger 2.0 at all 570 locations beginning in May. Article says their largest rollout yet. Looking forward to trying one.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/imp...rger-red-robin
Now they’re saying the rollout at all Red Robin locations is effective Apr 1. I may get to try Impossible 2.0 this week.

Quote:
Starting on Monday, April 1, guests visiting Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews nationwide can order The Impossible™ Burger, which delivers all the taste, aroma and beefiness of meat, but is entirely plant-based. Guests can customize any of their favorite Red Robin burgers by asking for the Impossible Burger patty.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300820739.html

Old 04-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I started this thread recommending the Beyond Meat Burger.

Yesterday we visited Red Robin and we both had Impossible Burgers. They were pretty good, but they were not “juicy” so I’m guessing it was over cooked. I know both Impossible and Beyond Meat go to great lengths to mimic everything about beef, including the “juicy” aspect of a good beef burger. And it should still appear pink in the middle as I understand it, the example yesterday had no pink.

However, we both agreed that if the eater didn’t know, you’d assume it was beef. It looks and tastes like beef. Just overcooked in the example yesterday.

We’ll see, but both the Impossible and the Beyond Meat burgers are a much tastier alternative to beef than chicken, turkey, black bean, soy or other substitutes to us. And they’re slightly healthier and lower (environmental) impact than beef. YMMV

Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Burger King is going national with the Impossible Burger.

Quote:
Burger King's test of a vegetarian version of its signature Whopper was such a success, the chain is planning to roll the Impossible Whopper out nationally this year.

On April 1, Burger King started testing the vegetarian burger, using a plant-based patty from Impossible Foods. The test took place in St. Louis and "went exceedingly well," a spokesperson for Restaurant Brands International (QSR), Burger King's parent company, said. The spokesperson added that the sales of the Impossible Whopper are complementary to the regular Whopper.

That's exactly what Burger King wants.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/29/busin...out/index.html
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Stopped by my local grocery store to pick up a few things and saw that the store is on the plant based non-beef bandwagon. They had packages of Beyond Beef burger patties and Beyond Beef sausage.