Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like both, hamburger and steak. These new beef-like options are great for people who want that. Good to hear they're getting closer, but watch out - if something tastes too good it might contain real beef
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #162
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
oh c'mon people...a McDonalds hamburger if left out on a plate for a month doesn't change.
Sorry, that's BS.

The patty is 100% pure beef.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Quote:
... oh c'mon people...a McDonalds hamburger if left out on a plate for a month doesn't change. ...
Sorry, that's BS.

The patty is 100% pure beef.
Yes, I'll be blunt and also call BS on most (maybe all, haven't checked every word) of what FREE866 has posted in this thread.

Slaughterhouses are not as he described. Anyhow, it's not like harvesting grain is without its own concerns. Here's a historical account of the harvesting of Barley:

Quote:
And these three men made a solemn vow, John Barleycorn would die
They've ploughed, they've sown, they've harrowed, thrown clods upon his head
Till these three men were satisfied John Barleycorn was dead

They've let him stand till midsummer's day and he looks both pale and wan
They've hired men with the sharp-edged scythes to cut him off at the knee
They've rolled him and tied him around the waist, treated him most barbarously

They've hired men with the sharp-edged forks to prick him to the heart
And the loader has served him worse than that, for he's bound him to the cart

They've hired men with the crab tree sticks to split him skin from bone
And the miller has served him worse than that, for he's ground him between two stones
Horrors! What did that poor little grain do to deserve that treatment?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, I'll be blunt and also call BS on most (maybe all, haven't checked every word) of what FREE866 has posted in this thread.

-ERD50

Oh really?

I've posted sources to validate my comments in most of the posts

you obviously chose not to read them.
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

This is NOT the city data forum. I wish people would realize this fact.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #166

+1000 Amen. Cow Burgers have tons of fillers .. called the Red Slime. It's not pure beef. I read that McDo is only able to say '100% Pure Beef' is because that's the name of their supplier '100% Pure Beef'. It's a trick.

We have been eating Beyond Meat burgers and their Italian sausage. The Burgers are almost like real beef. They use a water base process to extract the pea, and they don't use Hexane and Soy. Impossible uses Soy. We're sticking to Beyond Burger, which can be purchased in our local grocery store.

Quote:
Couple things.....burgers are not "health food" so I find it funny that some people are against plant based burgers for fear they are "processed". Please realize the amount of fillers and preservatives that go into a cow burger. Add in the environmental impact , health consequences and what is considered "normal" amount of cruelty involved with the animals as well.

We are on the cusp of a dramatic shift and given that protein is amino acids, lipids, trace minerals , and water (and all that is available through plants) I think that we will look back at 2019 as the year it started to become more normalized. I find it all quite fascinating.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #167
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I read that McDo is only able to say '100% Pure Beef' is because that's the name of their supplier '100% Pure Beef'. It's a trick.
LOL! Where did you "read" that wacky theory?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #168
Administrator

Let's please keep the discussion civil. We can disagree without being disagreeable.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

OK, so some folks like real beef and some folks like fake beef and no one is going to change any minds here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Let's please keep the discussion civil. We can disagree without being disagreeable.
Just saw your updated location.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
+1000 Amen. Cow Burgers have tons of fillers .. called the Red Slime. It's not pure beef. I read that McDo is only able to say '100% Pure Beef' is because that's the name of their supplier '100% Pure Beef'. It's a trick.
Snopes says this is false. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-100-beef/
Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #171
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
OK, so some folks like real beef and some folks like fake beef and no one is going to change any minds here.
True, but there may be some that don't have an opinion formed and are looking for information. Maybe thread participants can keep them in mind.

Quote:
Just saw your updated location.
I like it because it's a place where civility rules.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's fine. However because of "humans taking advantage of resources" we are now facing some pretty big consequences. I could go on for pages , but this is a pretty good summary:

https://www.outsideonline.com/239973...-meat-alt-meat
Sorry, that article didn’t make much sense to me. Sure, these companies may be successful with their product. I don’t think that means the beef industry is going away any time soon. The US beef industry actually hasn’t grown in decades in terms of heads of cattle. Americans eat far more chicken now. As long as I have a supply of grass fed beef, I’m happy. That at least is more available these days. People can’t eat grass, but cattle and sheep can.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sorry, that article didn’t make much sense to me. Sure, these companies may be successful with their product. I don’t think that means the beef industry is going away any time soon. The US beef industry actually hasn’t grown in decades in terms of heads of cattle. Americans eat far more chicken. As long as I have a supply of grass fed beef, I’m happy. That at least is more available these days. People can’t eat grass, but cattle and sheep can.
+1, the article sounds like clickbait hyperbole.

I don’t believe the beef industry will go away ever, but it’s nice to have alternatives. We’re big fans of Beyond Meat, and we’re happy eating less beef (than the average American?). DW never eats red meat, but I like a good prime steak a couple times a year, and high end grass fed beef burgers at restaurants every month or so. What do they say, moderation in all things?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #174
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Wow. And people want to eat that? As has been mentioned, certainly a highly processed food. I don’t eat great, but I do pretty well at staying away from an ingredient list like the one above. I was out at Soy, but three types? Then the what the heck is that - Methycellulose, soy Leghemoglobin . . . No thanks.

Reminds me of diet soda. I’ll take a real soda in moderation. With a real burger.
Methylcellulose is a common filler/thickener it is indigestible cellulose that is harmless to humans.

the Soy Leghemoglobin is the hemoglobin equivalent that gives it that proper burger taste and juice.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, so some folks like real beef and some folks like fake beef and no one is going to change any minds here. ...
Why does it have to be about changing anyone's mind? Can't we just discuss the topic and take from it what we can?

These are an alternative, and I'm interested in hearing people's opinion of them. I'm not sure anyone knows if they are healthier or not, and I doubt it matters. I enjoy a good burger, but they don't make up a very significant percent of my diet.

They may well be better for the environment, the process of turning vegetable matter into meat does require a lot of resources. But even that is a fairly complex calculation (but I feel pretty safe on siding with these being 'better'). But again, if I have a burger once or twice a month, does it really matter?

For me personally, I have not been a fan of vegetable products that try to emulate meat. But maybe these would be different. I eat some vegetarian based meals because I like those vegetables in a meal, I'm not looking for them to taste like meat. Not being a purist about it means I don't mind if there is some meat broth, or a bit of bacon or sausage for a little zing. Flexibility is good (for me).

-ERD50
Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sorry, that article didn’t make much sense to me. Sure, these companies may be successful with their product. I don’t think that means the beef industry is going away any time soon. The US beef industry actually hasn’t grown in decades in terms of heads of cattle. Americans eat far more chicken now. As long as I have a supply of grass fed beef, I’m happy. That at least is more available these days. People can’t eat grass, but cattle and sheep can.
Don't forget the Bison! We get some from a place near Belton, MO.

heh heh heh - Also bought the cookbook. Wife won a contest (church cookoff) for her Bison chili.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Don't forget the Bison! We get some from a place near Belton, MO.

heh heh heh - Also bought the cookbook. Wife won a contest (church cookoff) for her Bison chili.
Oh yeah, bison too!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But again, if I have a burger once or twice a month, does it really matter?
The recent U.N. Climate report has a chart on various diets that may help combat global warming and how much each one reduces greenhouse gas emissions here.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The recent U.N. Climate report has a chart on various diets that may help combat global warming and how much each one reduces greenhouse gas emissions here.
Now you did it. Throw global warming/greenhouse gases into a thread discussing a healthy/unhealthy, processed/unprocessed, fake/real, centuries old/brand new, tasty/no taste, low fat/high fat protein source.

Waiting for whether it can be heated by solar/renewable/cheaper/carbon fueled power.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Thanks, that is an interesting chart.

Later, after more coffee, I may try to see if I can bring that down to a personal level - would changing, say a majority of my meals to meat-less, or low meat make any signification difference? IOW, how do those numbers compare to our other carbon 'budget (transportation, HVAC, making the stuff we use), etc). Yes, every little bit helps, but as has been pointed out by MacKay, it only helps a little bit.

Then there is water and land resources, etc, but still interested in the scale. I just don't know at this point.

-ERD50