Join Early Retirement Today

Bicycles
Old 07-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Bicycles

It's been a while since we've had a thread devoted to bicycles. Might be a good time for a general update.

Do you bike?
How often?
Road, path or trail... cross country?
Length of ride?
Part of a group?
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc.
Been biking since Expect to bike until

And anything else having to do with bicycles... as opposed to "bikes" (cycles).

Seems like we have quite a few members who enjoy this sport... will be nice to hear from you and to get any updates on what you are doing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A bicycle is the only form of transport I own, and I ride it almost every day around town, when running errands. It's a 90's era mountain/hybrid bike, which I bought for $75 and replaced a few parts in order to get it back into shape. The maintenance bills are very, very low :-)

The typical ride is a round trip of about 3 miles to go shopping. Sometimes, I'll combine a few errands in one trip and end up cycling 10 or 15 miles. I started cycling for transport and fun as a kid, end expect to continue until my body can no longer handle it. It's cheap, it makes me feel good, and it fulfills a necessary function at the same time. Bonus all around!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I ride a hybrid. For pleasure on local bike routes. Generally do about 15 miles. Enjoy it thoroughly and wish I lived in a community where biking to work was possible. Unfortunately, it would be a dangerous commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Yes to biking. Started 100km+ distances when in high school. Didn't get my first car until 25 so bike was my main mode of transportation for distances less than 30km.

Now bike a few times a week. When possible I bike the 10km to my hobby job which is two or three times a week.
Road and path. Don't have the nerve for serious trail riding anymore.
Most rides are 20km or less these days as they are not really recreational.
Usually a loner though occasionally with DW or family.
Trek 8.6 DS with fenders.
Sorry biking since... does a trike count? Since I was very small.
Hope to bike forever. A great way to exercise and get around. We are lucky to have lots of good paths and bike lanes.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

I have a 20 mile ride that I do a couple times a week by myself, mostly on rural roads with not much traffic. I use a Motobecane road bike. Heading to Breckenridge CO in September, great area for biking. Have done the Breckenridge to Vail Pass round trip ride (~45 miles). That's about my limit, no interest in taking it further.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Yes
2. 5 to 6 times a week
3. Road
4. 30 to 40 miles most days
5. Solo, love the solitude of riding in the country
6. Just upgraded to Trek ALR 5 from a Specialized Sequoia
7. Started biking 2008, rode bike home 5 miles and thought my legs were going to fall off. My next bike in 10 years will probably be an electric pedal assist.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #7

I ride periodically... mostly with an 1982 Raleigh super grand prix. I will ride anywhere between 20 and 100 miles depending upon how I feel that day... and what else I have planed.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big cyclist. I've ridden probably 20-30 centuries and 1 double century (Denver - Aspen) and so many charity rides I can't remember. I ride 3-4 days a week, a few thousand miles a year, mostly road. We biked in Europe on vacations and have done self supported cycle touring. So we are pretty hard core.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
It's been a while since we've had a thread devoted to bicycles. Might be a good time for a general update.

Do you bike?
How often?
Length of ride?
Part of a group?

Seems like we have quite a few members who enjoy this sport... will be nice to hear from you and to get any updates on what you are doing.
Do you bike? Yes
How often? Try to everyday in summer
Road, path or trail... cross country? road
Length of ride? approximately 4 miles per ride
Part of a group? no
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. folding bike
Been biking since Expect to bike until for fun as a kid, now for cardio exercise and short errands. Will have to pry bike away from my cold dead hands .
Old 07-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Do you bike? Yep
How often? summer average twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes alternate with running.
Road, path or trail... cross country? Most often rural roads
Length of ride? 12-20 miles
Part of a group? Nope
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. Guess you'd call it a hybrid....lower end 20 yr old mountain bike with street tires. Occasional non-muddy trail.
Been biking since Expect to bike until Learned to ride when about 8 yr old, now 66,
have been biking more in recent years as the years and miles meant I can't run as much as once did....knees ache.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you bike?
I started seriously cycling in 2004. My mid life crisis was to ride in RAGBRAI, across Iowa (much cheaper than a red sports car, or a mistress). I rode a Trek hybrid that weighed 30 lbs. I have, since, graduated to a Giant OCR 1, that than got replaced with a Trek Damone.

How often? I ride 3-4 times a week. I target 150 to 175 miles per week.

Road, path or trail... cross country? I ride trails with DW, but when I am on my own, road only. The roads I ride are little used roads in the upstate of SC.

Length of ride? Each ride will be anywhere from a low of 26 miles, to a high of 70 miles.

Part of a group? I will ride with a local bike group when I can, however 90% is just me and the open road.

Been biking since Expect to bike until. As I said, I really started riding seriously since 2004 (age 51) I am now 62. I have ridden across Iowa 6 times, and now North Carolina 4 times. I am preparing for my 5th ride across NC, as I write this.

Cycling is more than just a hobby, it keeps me motivated through out the year. During the first ride through Iowa, I met a man who had ridden 30 consecutive RAGBRAI's. He started when he turned 50! That is who I want to be when I grow up!
Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Do you bike? Yes
How often? 2-3 times a week
Road, path or trail... cross country? Road/trail
Length of ride? - 14 -15 miles per ride
Part of a group? - no
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc.- Road/hybrid
Been biking since Expect to bike until - Since 1959, expect to bike until I'm too old to bike

Currently using biking as cross training for running. Will switch to more biking in fall/winter
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I spend a week a month on the AL coast and I ride my bike most days there. I have an Electra Townie 7 speed which is a cruiser style. The trail I ride is roughly 15 miles long and is very scenic. Here's a peek of the trail.....

Old 07-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I spend a week a month on the AL coast and I ride my bike most days there. I have an Electra Townie 7 speed which is a cruiser style. The trail I ride is roughly 15 miles long and is very scenic. Here's a peek of the trail.....

Nice. Enjoy!
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Depending on weather, etc, I ride daily for an average of about 120 miles per week on a Specialized Allez road bike.
I do 3 or 4 organized charity rides each summer.
Most of what I ride would be considered rural. As mentioned by a previous poster, I also enjoy the solitude.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Bicycles
Old 07-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Bicycles

Quote:

Do you bike? Yes
How often? 1-2 times/week
Road, path or trail... cross country? Paved trails
Length of ride? Usually 10-15 miles
Part of a group? Solo
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. Late 70s - early 80s Fuji 10-spd "road bike", bought for $40 at a garage sale about 1993. Also have a "mountain bike"; low end Trek bought off Craigslist for $50. Don't ride it much, but may take it along for adventures involving gravel/dirt roads.
Been biking since Expect to bike until Six years old; until I can't...

:-)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Do you bike? Yes
How often? 1-3 times a week
Road, path or trail... cross country? Road/trail/gravel
Length of ride? - 5 -30 miles
Part of a group? - no
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road/hybrid/mountain/Chinese
Been biking since Expect to bike until - Since 1963, hope to bike forever.

Today as my wife & i were walking our neighborhood street to the river trail we heard a very familiar noise to me. A young boy on a tiny mountain bike passed with a playing card clothes-pinned to contact the spokes making that unmistakable sound. It brought back many memories of my youth and bicycles. I have always had one type of bike or another and presently have 4.

We started buying $99 dollar bikes from Target when we stayed at VRBO's in the US and donated them at the end of our trips, much cheaper than renting and much appreciated by the charities. They all worked well for the week we would use them. The last time we bought they only had a purple women's bike in my size so for only a week I bought it. We ended up purchasing a villa in that small town in California and now I ride a $99 purple womens bike whenever we are there. It works well and won't break so I am stuck with it until I can get a real bike down when we retire. In the meantime I put up with strange looks and the odd whistle from the locals. However, it is really easy to get on and off of so I will kind of miss it for that.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #18

Have been biking most of my life but very active for about the last 25 years. My DW and I have toured at least once each of those years. Our first tour was 1975, Lansing to Toronto and back. Our long trips are LAB's Southern Tier, Florida Keys to WI, Mexico Baja, and the N. Sea in Europe. We have also taken several one week rides in various US & Canadian destinations.

Before taking the car, I always ask myself if I can take the bike. I am not car free and drive WAY to much mostly due to my current location.

I do recreational rides with my wife and friends. I have not found a club that is inclusive or works hard at advocating for safer bicycling. This discourages my participation.

I have 4 bikes. Trek 520, Trek 2120, Trek Domane and a 1980 Schwinn.

I am most proud of the advocacy work I have done. I wish I could make a bigger difference as I know there are a lot of people who would love to bike more but do not get the community support to feel bicycling is safe for them right from their driveway.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #19

Do you bike? Yes
How often? 5-6 times a week
Road, path or trail... cross country? Road
Length of ride? - 5 -30 miles
Part of a group? - occasionally
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Gunnar Sport
Been biking since Expect to bike until - Since 1961, until infinity......
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #20

Quote:

Do you bike?
How often?
Length of ride?
Part of a group?

Yes
3 times a week to/from w*rk when working.
Road. Trail occasionally
A 17 mile loop when not. Sometime a 30 mile loop on Sat. mornings.
By myself.
I have a Fuji "commuter" bike and a mountain bike. Don't ride the mountain bike much anymore. Planning on upgrading commuter bike to a flat-bar road bike.
Biking off and on for 10 years or so. Plan to continue until I can't. Once done with w*rk, hope to bike more often for errands, etc. as well.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote