Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm very happy for you W2R. I have always thought of you more as a New Orleans person than a Missouri person.
Thank you! I am looking forward to the years ahead.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh Lord no!!! I think that was removed from the realm of possibilities for us, a few years ago... thank goodness! But bless your heart for thinking there was even a remote possibility that I could be that young.

Pssst. Hey Al - I'm sure W2R is way too much the lady to have had this in mind, but I thought I remembered something about the phrase "bless your heart". Maybe research on Urban Dictionary....

Time to break out my donkey avatar again.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on getting one of FIRE's big decisions taken care of. I join the others who are not completely surprised by your decision.

Enjoy NOLA for many happy years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Congratulations on getting one of FIRE's big decisions taken care of. I join the others who are not completely surprised by your decision.

Enjoy NOLA for many happy years.
Thank you, Rich! And yes, I suspected that you wouldn't be too surprised. I'm not sure how, but sometimes I think you know us better than we know ourselves.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad you are happy with the decision. I'd guess Frank may have had nagging doubts about the move for some time. It's super you two communicated well and that the decision is made. I'm sure it's a big relief, and you guys can always reconsider things later if the situation changes.

Good luck!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm glad you are happy with the decision. I'd guess Frank may have had nagging doubts about the move for some time. It's super you two communicated well and that the decision is made. I'm sure it's a big relief, and you guys can always reconsider things later if the situation changes.

Good luck!
Yes, it's a big relief just to know we are finally settled someplace permanently. I think it is hard to make a tough decision like moving away, or not moving away, without having nagging doubts. His family has lived here for at least six generations and probably many more, and New Orleanians are reputed to never leave, so I asked him several times before if he had doubts and he said he had none. But still, a few must have been lurking in the corners of his mind. I look forward to hearing more from him about how all of these changes came to be.

And yes, we can always reconsider later. He told me we would spend at least five years here, though, since I really feel a need for some permanence somewhere right now.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you, Rich! And yes, I suspected that you wouldn't be too surprised. I'm not sure how, but sometimes I think you know us better than we know ourselves.
You didn't have to be an MD, rocket scientist, burned out Intertube moderator or even sleep in a Holiday Inn to notice how over time your conversation slowly migrated from MO to NO...

NOW you're really retired.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You didn't have to be an MD, rocket scientist, burned out Intertube moderator or even sleep in a Holiday Inn to notice how over time your conversation slowly migrated from MO to NO...

NOW you're really retired.
Oh, OK! I wasn't before (?)

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, OK! I wasn't before (?)
Nope, you were "unemployed pending relocation".
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope, you were "unemployed pending relocation".
Ah!!! I see...

Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Hi W2R

I think it's best to make decisions like where to move, selling houses, etc., AFTER retirement. Because it's really difficult while working to figure out where someone really wants to live or even what one really wants to spend most of their time doing. IMO it takes a year or two of being retired and experimenting with the new lifestyle options to really figure that out.

I'm thinking your case is a supporting example?

Congrats for figuring it out, and for not having to move!

Audrey
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R enjoy your new found permanence in NO. You and Frank need to have a celebration and burn those real estate signs and then break out your stored stuff and make your house your home again.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hi W2R

I think it's best to make decisions like where to move, selling houses, etc., AFTER retirement. Because it's really difficult while working to figure out where someone really wants to live or even what one really wants to spend most of their time doing. IMO it takes a year or two of being retired and experimenting with the new lifestyle options to really figure that out.

I'm thinking your case is a supporting example?

Congrats for figuring it out, and for not having to move!

Audrey
Thanks, Audrey! I am not sure I'm exactly a "supporting example" at all, though. I didn't figure anything out! This is all F.'s idea, not mine. I would be happy in either place.

What is really "floating my boat" right now is the fact that I can proceed with the assumption of some permanence. Ah.... Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
W2R enjoy your new found permanence in NO. You and Frank need to have a celebration and burn those real estate signs and then break out your stored stuff and make your house your home again.
Thanks! How cool that while I was typing the word "permanence" (above), unknown to me you were talking about it too. I can't wait to get into those stacked boxes in my closets. Should be fun to see what's in them.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Thanks, Audrey! I am not sure I'm exactly a "supporting example" at all, though. I didn't figure anything out! This is all F.'s idea, not mine. I would be happy in either place.

What is really "floating my boat" right now is the fact that I can proceed with the assumption of some permanence. Ah.... Home!

Thanks! How cool that while I was typing the word "permanence" (above), unknown to me you were talking about it too. I can't wait to get into those stacked boxes in my closets. Should be fun to see what's in them.
Must be because they say great minds think alike!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good Luck. Now you can enjoy the house that you fixed up.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
Good Luck. Now you can enjoy the house that you fixed up.
Thanks, and yes - - thank goodness that the neutral paint color and carpet are shades that I happen to like. I might paint an accent wall in the bedroom. I sure will be glad to get some pictures back up on the walls. And after all that donating and tossing out, my closets seem vast and spacious.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #57
Administrator

Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
So true!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dorothy.jpg (5.0 KB, 156 views)

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #59

I am happy for you! Others have taken many of the good words and wishes!! Ditto!! Hope to meet you & Frank for a beverage & snack this spring!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #60
gone traveling

W2R, congrats on making a difficult decison, and for keeping us in the loop. Sometimes the only thing worse than not realizing your goals is achieving them.

And besides, the Bamboo Inn closed recently, so the food is definitely better in Nawlins.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote