Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Re: complaining, we're obviously outnumbered by people who see nothing wrong with that type of behavior.

As for my lawn, bring a mower...
I'll bring my own coffee too, and some for you
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I hope you guys all complained to the management about it rather than internalize the stress.

I never indulged in the kind of behavior described above, and I promise to stay off your lawns .
I may be more sensitive to this than most due to my prior experience.

We just put out a tiered price structure for the larger mugs -- no need to pester the management.

Now if I can just get the neighborhood kids with their new motorized ATVs to stay off the lawn, the rest will be gravy.... ( I wonder what else I was not seeing before ER )

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I fail to see how the "cost" of something is pertinent to whether taking advantage of something not meant for you is right or wrong.

At my old megaconglomocorp, we used to have "spreads", as they were called, sometimes potluck for a holiday, and sometimes company provided, as for a retirement party. I watched people pile their plates so high that they wouldn't hold another molecule of food, even before everyone had a chance to get a plate. You'd have thought they hadn't eaten in days, morbid obesity notwithstanding.

The way I was raised, you waited until everyone was served before getting seconds. It's called manners, and assuming that whatever the hell you want to do is okay is bad manners.

Years ago, I took my son to a Ranger game, and we stood around after the game to try to get an autograph. The grown men were pushing and shoving their way to the front, crowding out the kids, and anyone else not willing to bully their way to the front. No rule against it. Not "costing" anyone. Okay?

It is NOT okay to take all the coffee, take all the ice, cut in line, run the red light, etc. They say that character is how you act when no one is watching... So take your cheap, coffee pilfering ass over to McDonald's, and buy a freakin' cup...
+10exp10! Were these people raised in a hog pen?

Ha
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, I'm happy someone drinks that sludge and leaves the good coffee for the rest of us. In a way it's an indirect price subsidy for the growers and roasters by giving them an outlet for the low quality stuff. On behalf coffee snobs everywhere, thanks!
+1!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I think it's ill-mannered.
+1
Especially when they drain the urn and don't make more or inform the staff it is empty.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

The sense of "entitlement" has always interested me. I love to watch people who always seem to feel so "entitled" to things. Almost like....."there it is......it must be meant for me".

The lack of maturity makes these people fun to watch, but annoying to deal with.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I agree.

Thanks, everybody, for all your thoughts. I didn't realize my small question would raise such an interesting discussion.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
The sense of "entitlement" has always interested me. I love to watch people who always seem to feel so "entitled" to things. Almost like....."there it is......it must be meant for me".
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am glad to hear that it is only being done by men. After all, few expect much out of men any more. About as unexpected as male dogs peeing on the shrubbery.

Ha
When drinking coffee, women tend be cognizant of the need to plan the next bathroom break. At least I do!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
So this brings up the question at restaurants Do you take home all the crackers in the basket? Equal packets? I have done both on occasion if I had a reason ex staying in a hotel..
In my humble opinion, individually wrapped condiments and crackers and such are not provided so we can restock our pantries at home or on the road. I saw a young woman at Starbucks recently open up her purse at the cream and sugar bar and load up several handfuls of Splenda packets. No one believes that she is going to put all 200 packets in her one cup of coffee. It is just stealing plain and simple (to me).
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
When you ask the gym employees/management if you can take a big cup-o-joe instead of that 6oz job, what do they say?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, frugal, greed, gym, stealing