Join Early Retirement Today

Big Plans for the Weekend?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Big Plans for the Weekend?

For most of us in the US of A, Monday is a holiday.....the second one of the year where I work (New Years Day being the first one). Anybody have big plans for the long weekend? You retired folks will have to deal with the extra traffic and crowds on Monday.

We are taking off on Friday to have a 4 day weekend. We are planning on going to our cabin now that the snow is gone and we can actually drive in to it now. No phone, no cable, no TV (unless we take DVDs to watch), closets neighbor is 1/4 mile away. BBQ 2 meals a day (would do 3 but can't keep the eggs from falling through the grill). Adult beverages on the deck watching the wildlife with no one to bother us and nothing that has to be done and 4 days to do it in.

Other than than I might do a little yard work to keep the jungle at bay. But who knows?

How about you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Big Plans for the Weekend?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I start the weekend off at a fish fry gathering. Other than that, golf golf golf.*
Old 05-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Sasquatch Music Festival at the Gorge Amphitheater in central Washington. (Crazy name, but a good line up - The Shins, Ben Harper, etc.)
Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be packing and perhaps doing some paperwork. (I'm moving in a couple of weeks; last day on the job is Wednesday.) If I get far enough along I may be selling a few items over Craig's List. I have the items separated but not enough room to take a halfway decent photo.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #5

Nothing. Glorious nothing.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Usual stuff... kid has a community league basketball game this weekend and the neighborhood teens are finally ready to move the exercise gear down to the storage building. *She's caring for a neighbor's pets so we won't be making any trips. *Maybe there'll be a south swell this weekend. *Maybe I'll fire up the BBQ (first time this year).

She actually had some good ideas for the storage building-- reflective foil insulation on the south wall, a couple fans up in the corners to get the air moving, and she's running Romex for receptacles on all four walls. *All we parents have to do is buy her the supplies!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We are headed to the mountains to be with our friends and having a picnic near a lake. Everyone have a safe, happy Memorial Day weekend!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't know it was memorial day.

Hum. Probably pull weeds and finally plant the flower boxes as we should be getting close to frost free days.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since I’m the only adult in the immediate family who “doesn’t have a job”, I’ll spend a good part of tomorrow cleaning up around the RV spot we lease on the shady banks of the beautiful Guadalupe River. I’ve been “selected” to get everything ready for our first use of the travel trailer this year. The riding mower, string trimmer and other stuff are already loaded in the truck, ready to go.

On Saturday (which, BTW, just happens to be the first anniversary of my retirement ), my daughter, son-in-law, and three grandsons will join DW and I for a weekend of camping, tubing down the river and general goofing off.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Friday night: gathering of friends at our house.
Saturday evening: seeing X-Men 3 and dinner with a bunch (like 15) of people
Sunday afternoon: going-away party for my Mom's boyfriend
Monday: blissfully empty, and staying that way!

Looking at the list, that's *way* too much for a holiday weekend...
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
... we should be getting close to frost free days.
Not only do we have frost free days, we've got frost free refrigerators and freezers, too.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

On Saturday (which, BTW, just happens to be the first anniversary of my retirement ), my daughter, son-in-law, and three grandsons will join DW and I for a weekend of camping, tubing down the river and general goofing off.

Congrats on your first year, wahoo! In my distant beer-soaked (and other substance-smoked) Austin past I remember "tubing down the river." Which one is the cold one, the Comal or the Guadalupe? Brings back memories too of Hamilton Pool, an exotic swimming hole southwest of Austin in the hill country. Wonder if that place is still around.

From those sunburned days, I also nominate Pearl beer to be the world's worst :P
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading out to the mountains, wait a minute, I'm IN the mountains**

I'll be taking the kids and the GPS out to look for "treasure" hidden in the woods (geocaching).* The kids love it and it is truly amazing the hikes they can handle when there is a goal involved.*
Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Which one is the cold one, the Comal or the Guadalupe?
The Comal is the cold one. If you remember, it's formed by the springs in Landa Park (a city park in New Braunfels) and runs only 3 miles before it flows into the Guadalupe. One of the shortest rivers in the world.

Quote:
Brings back memories too of Hamilton Pool, an exotic swimming hole southwest of Austin in the hill country. Wonder if that place is still around.
Yep. Here ya go... http://wildtexas.com/parks/hpp.php

Quote:
From those sunburned days, I also nominate Pearl beer to be the world's worst :P
You (and most of the rest of the world) will be happy to know Pearl Beer is history, or almost so. The Pearl brewery closed in June 2001, and Miller Brewing Company in Fort Worth took over the production of Pearl and Lone Star :P beers. Now Miller brews the two worst beers in the state.

Give me a Shiner Bock...

Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Great pics of the Pool, wahoo, thanks! Takes me back 8)

Quote:

Give me a Shiner Bock...

Cheers
Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Give me a Shiner Bock...
Or Zeigenbock. Both are good, but Zeigenbock doesn't share with those other silly states like Shiner does.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

We will be celebrating our son's 1st birthday. *I initially didn't want to have one because I never found 1st birthday parties too exciting. *But friends kept saying "we want to see him eat cake". *So we settled on a backyard bbq, no gifts party.
J-Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #18

Half day Friday, the rest of the weekend is mine to do what I want, hubby is working all 3 days. Maybe a cookout with family maybe not. Maybe a little gardening. What ever I end up doing I plan on it being relaxing.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #19

DH is going to MI-3 with the guys tomorrow while I have some stuff to work on. We're expecting friends for the weekend en route from their winter home in Florida to their summer home in the Berkshires. And it's Spoleto Festival in Charleston--and our anniversary Plus I look forward to hearing from my daughter & son-in-law back from their honeymoon in Belize this weekend.

I started the holiday weekend early--I enjoyed meeting "mcclesters" from this forum today. She is just as advertised--a charming, smart, & pretty young woman. Turns out as a girl she used to ride horses around our neighborhood--my town was really rural up to 15-20 years ago.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria

I started the holiday weekend early--I enjoyed meeting "mcclesters" from this forum today. She is just as advertised--a charming, smart, & pretty young woman. Turns out as a girl she used to ride horses around our neighborhood--my town was really rural up to 15-20 years ago.
Is "mcclesters" single?* *