Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Big shakeup on the West Coast?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Big shakeup on the West Coast?

Maybe some of you shouldn't worry too much about the correct SWR, the perfect asset allocation or paying off the mortgage...

California overdue for major quake, study says

Quote:
Earthquakes strike along California's San Andreas Fault more often than scientists previously thought, a new study suggests.

Researchers at the University of California, Irvine and Arizona State charted temblors that occurred there stretching back 700 years.
They found that large ruptures have occurred on the Carrizo Plain portion of the San Andreas Fault — about 100 miles northwest of Los Angeles — as often as every 45 to 144 years. But the last big quake was in 1857, more than 150 years ago.

The researchers said that while it's possible the fault is experiencing a natural lull, they think it's more likely a major quake could happen soon.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This must be the breeding training facility for the guys who prognosticate on the stock market, gold prices, Elliott Wave theory, double-dip recessions, and hurricane seasons.

Saaaaaay... it's been a long time since Rick Sanchez got on CNN to cover a tsunami, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What are you tryin' to do REWahoo....make TX look good?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
What are you tryin' to do REWahoo....make TX look good?
No, I'm thinking about investing in some waterfront property in Nevada...
Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe some of you shouldn't worry too much about the correct SWR, the perfect asset allocation or paying off the mortgage...

You have a point there, Wahoo. I have been slow to spend up to the full 4% SWR. Maybe I should use some of it to paint over the cracks in the walls from the last quake I didn’t even feel: a minor one at 3.5, later downgraded to 3.2. Maybe mañana, they do give the place more character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7812.jpg (417.7 KB, 14 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We bought on the east side of The Fault, hoping for eventual beachfront property. That Big One better come soon, because I hear the world is supposed to end in December 2012.

Say, if the world ends in 2012, is the SWR higher than 4%?

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote