Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm glad I never had to divide my assets.

Live and learn Bill.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #22

I am very sorry to read this. They have always seemed like a good team to me (in their various foundation efforts) but who knows what goes on in a marriage.

Their kids are 18, 21, and 25, so maybe they were waiting until the kids were mostly grown before splitting up?

Something tells me Bill and Melinda will handle this like adults, rather than like the tabloid-trash divorces which abound today in the celebrity world.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Their biggest argument is going to be who takes the house.

Who wants the upkeep, taxes and utilities on 66,000 square feet?

He says, Not Me. She says, Not Me.

No one else has the money to live in such a custom built structure.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I'm glad I never had to divide my assets.

Live and learn Bill.
If Gates has the same lawyers as Jeff Bezos , Melinda won't get Bill's half of his $130B net worth.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Wasn't a lot of his stock grants before he got married?

I think he was already considered the richest man in the world at the time.

Also, he did the giving pledge, may have actually started it.

He planned to give most of his wealth to his foundation, got Buffett to pledge the same. Presumably the wife was on board with this all along.
He was the richest man in the world when they got married, but worth "only" about $9B. They are now worth about $130B. I presume that doesn't include the $47B held by the foundation. I don't know if more is committed.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Wasn't a lot of his stock grants before he got married?

I think he was already considered the richest man in the world at the time.

Also, he did the giving pledge, may have actually started it.

He planned to give most of his wealth to his foundation, got Buffett to pledge the same. Presumably the wife was on board with this all along.

When Windows was a smash hit, at least through the early 90s, he was known for penny-pinching, flying coach, digging for coupons at stores.

Presumably he's not flying commercial any more.
I've known some me included that fly coach, penny pinch, save invest, live below means, etc and that allowed me to FIRE early.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #27

It really doesn’t matter if the wife gets half the fortune. Money at this point means nothing. They don’t need it and they can’t spend it.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Their biggest argument is going to be who takes the house.

Who wants the upkeep, taxes and utilities on 66,000 square feet?

He says, Not Me. She says, Not Me.

No one else has the money to live in such a custom built structure.
I imagine there is a sheikh or two or three (or an oligarch or two) who can afford it.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

A new buyer would have to really love the Pacific NW to buy a home like that. Maybe like the national parks, wilderness in that part of the country.

Otherwise most people prefer sunnier climes.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I imagine there is a sheikh or two or three (or an oligarch or two) who can afford it.
There is a rumor that Gates built a bunker underneath his mansion but a few billionaires have bought bunker type homes in New Zealand to protect them from a nuclear fallout.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

So sad! And didn't Jeff Bezos also get divorced a year or two back, also? All that money but neither Gates nor Bezos seems to have found happiness in recent years.

I hope they both end up as "happily divorced" as I am. Still, divorce can be tough to go through (even when there aren't billions involved).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When it comes to personal issues I think we all want privacy.
True. But then why go and announce it to the world on Twitter?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Gates wanted to tweet his divorce to the world via Twitter. He could have used Facebook which had more users. It looks like tweets and posts can be more of a breaking news platform compared to the traditional news outlets. Some I know catch breaking news with their face glued to their phones compared to watching the news on TV. Gates has openly said each of his three children will only inherit $10M each.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Evidence that public faces of a happy marriage and partnership can belie realty. At least no one is moving back in with their mother….
Old 05-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #35

It's none of our business, just 2 people who decided to part ways. Either one was tired of the other's politics, or the amount of time spent together, or perhaps there is one who is more supportive of their causes, outside of the existing marriage. In any event, who cares?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Because the news will come out sooner or later anyway, so why not have your control of the message that is announced, rather than wild speculation?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In fairness, I have to say I honestly have a lot of sympathy for them. We think of great riches as buying great freedom, but it can actually be the opposite..

Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree with this, at least in the case of Bill Gates. Gates is someone who has always sought the spotlight, including after leaving Microsoft. The man has a large ego, to put it mildly, and I think he enjoys using his obscene wealth to influence policy matters across the globe. It bothers me that someone who has never been elected to any office has so much influence in matters that affect the lives of millions of people. Personally, I would much rather have people with backgrounds in science developing policy regarding things like nutrition and human disease control, as opposed to Bill Gates. I have no idea why he and his wife are getting divorced........that's a private matter. I am just giving my opinion on Bill Gates as a person.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
It's none of our business, just 2 people who decided to part ways. Either one was tired of the other's politics, or the amount of time spent together, or perhaps there is one who is more supportive of their causes, outside of the existing marriage. In any event, who cares?
The 3rd or 4th richest person in the world getting a divorce is newsworthy. Expect more and more breaking news to be announced on social media ( aka Facebook / Twitter ). Less speculation from news media because it is coming straight from the source.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Expect more and more breaking news to be announced on social media

And some of it might even be true!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #40

Its possible Melinda thought Bill's Micro was too Soft.
Closed Thread