Birdie wierdness

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I should probably post this to Andy's pet forum, but I know you guys so I'll try here first.

We have two budgies/parakeets, an older female and a young male. The female, Pretty Bird, is very overweight. At first we though she might be getting ready to lay an egg but further examination reveals she is just fat. Other than being fat, Pretty Bird is a happy bird, likes me, eats spinach out of my hand, and sings a lot. Should I care that she is so fat? How would I put her on a diet anyway? She shares a cage with the male, who is far from fat.

The male, Dewey, is a different story. He drinks a huge amount of water and thus has watery stinky poos. I have no idea why he drinks so much and he has done so for a couple of months. At first he would chew the cuttle bone, drink water, and spit out the mixture. He seems to have stopped that behavior. He hardly sings, if at all. He used to a have nice loud voice. He won't play with toys. He does like eating spinach and sitting on my finger. From the feel of his feet, he runs much much hotter than Pretty Bird. Yet he doesn't exhibit signs of illness like other birds usually do: like ruffled feathers, head under wings, closing their eyes.

I have a hard time thinking about taking Dewey to the vet. But the stinky cage is getting problematic.

Greg wants to either eat them (umm! nice fat Pretty Bird) or set them free. I trust he is joking.

Any thoughts?

Martha, I know nothing about birds, except that I enjoy watching them around our feeders, and I NEVER see a fat one. But here's my two cents worth.

Fatty: Get a bigger cage, or a cage of her own?

Male pooper: why wouldn't you just get him to the vet, get the professional's opinion and quit worrying about it. No singing, bad smells and warmer feet would be enough symptoms for me.

Greg wants to either eat them (umm! nice fat Pretty Bird) or set them free.

Better stick to your diet, Martha! And while you're at it, don't drink too much water.

Separate cages should do the trick for fatty but the other needs a trip to the vet... pronto.

Yikes! To the Avian Vet asap

Hi Martha, I am new to the forum and glad I saw your post. I know just enough about birds to know that you need to take both to an avian vet asap. I've had several parrots and have decided to go into my later years with 2 cockatiels instead of the bigger birds.

A fat bird might indicate fatty liver syndrome which can end in death. Budgies are prone to that illness as are cockatiels. If it is liver disease, it will require treatment and/or management of the illness. Their liver just fills up with fat and then it spills out into their bellies and chest and just keeps squeezing their organs, heart included. Can cause lots of trouble. Normal healthy birds are not fat.

The stinky runny poo is a red flag for sure! A bird's poo can be runny for a day or two but when it is stinky and if it has gone on for several days or longer, that is probably a bacterial or parasitic infection which will need tests and treatment. Normal healthy output from gastro tracts of birds should not stink and generally will not ever be consistently runny although I am sure someone somewhere will say that they have a 100 yr old bird that is perfectly healthy and squirts poo all day.

Birds generally don't show illness until just immediately before they die (puffed up feathers, sleeping all of the time, sitting on the bottom of the cage). It's just part of their makeup and flock behavior. A sick bird is often abandoned or chased away when in the wild flock because it invites predators. So they really try hard NOT to show any kind of illness. These little guys can seem ok one day and be on the bottom of the cage the next. Don't mean to scare you, but their problems require instant attention because it can all go downhill in a blink.

I strongly recommend that you find an avian vet because just a regular dog/cat vet doesn't usually know enough about bird illnesses to treat them properly. Or at least it is a crap shoot. In fact, I know of many birds that have actually been harmed by the treatment a "regular" vet ordered.

With I knew as much about ER and growing my $$$ as I do birds!
Good luck!

Regards,
Tex

Back
Top Bottom