Join Early Retirement Today

Birding
Old 06-09-2020, 02:19 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Birding

Just over two weeks ago I saw a Kirtland’s Warbler (unconfirmed). It was in a place known as part of a migratory path and I was able to identify its key characteristics (broken eye ring, coloration, etc) but I won’t add to my life list since I was alone and nobody else reported a sighting for that day on ebird.

It’s rare enough that I might never see one again. Birding is tough [emoji57]

Edited to add: now I’m retired I’ll likely go chase one down in Michigan [emoji3]
51notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 04:27 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51notout View Post
Just over two weeks ago I saw a Kirtland’s Warbler (unconfirmed). It was in a place known as part of a migratory path and I was able to identify its key characteristics (broken eye ring, coloration, etc) but I won’t add to my life list since I was alone and nobody else reported a sighting for that day on ebird.

Edited to add: now I’m retired I’ll likely go chase one down in Michigan [emoji3]
Kirtlands Warbler--wow. A bird I have never seen. Birding is tough!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51notout View Post

Yay!

We used professional guides to help with very difficult species. We went on a bunch of birding trips the first two years of retirement.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
One of my most memorable birds was the blue bird I saw when at Hawk Mountain off of Route 78 in eastern Pa, looking for hawks in the late 90's or early 2000's. It was like a blue neon sign it was so bright. Just sitting on a branch.
There are three species of bluebird in the US. The Mountain bluebird (Western US) is the most intensely blue.

Around here in addition to the Eastern Bluebird, we have a indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks, so we get lots of blue neon signs!
Old 06-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if this would count as "birding" but this season we had a cardinal's nest that needed "help." Long story short, Mama didn't do a great job building her nest and the babies kept falling out.

The last time two of them were laying on the ground barely moving...it was late and raining, and the nest was pretty much blown out, so we brought them into the garage until I could put together a new nest in the AM.

Next morning, the third baby was now on the ground also barely moving. Mama and Papa were sitting on a nearby tree and watched me put the remnants of the old nest into my new and improved one and put all three babies back in. Not two minutes later, Mama was back in the nest and all was well in the world.

About 2 days later, all three babies became fledglings and were out of the nest. I have seen them hanging out with Papa while he still feeds them.

Here are a few pics: The bush the nest was in and the proximity to the pool, the babies in my fancy nest, and one of them in a nearby tree after fledgling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (429.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (37.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (168.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (285.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Great job Ex FlyBoy!! You saved those baby cardinals lives
Old 06-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Great job Ex FlyBoy!! You saved those baby cardinals lives
Thanks! I was very happy to have Google to help me learn what to do. 30 years ago, I am not sure what I would have done!
Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Well that’s cool.

Baby birds fall out of nests all the time, and parents are usually able to feed them on the ground if necessary until they are able to fly.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had these mockingbird kids outside our bedroom window. We first saw the empty nest, then eggs. Fourteen days after the eggs hatched, they flew away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2200.JPG (141.4 KB, 17 views)
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:17 AM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I'm just dipping my toes into back yard birding. I've had blue jays for many years, and just looking outside occasionally I recognize some frequent visitors.

So I put out a bird bath and started Googling.

I was right about the blue jays; my "pigeons" are white wing doves. My "insect bird" is a willow flycatcher (I think). And a pair of American robins are also nearby all the time.

I've yet to identify another semi-regular species that I call "grass birds". I thought they were black with orange beaks and tend to show up after rains to pick through the grass. Lately I'm seeing brown birds with orange beaks enjoying the bird bath, so I'm not sure this is the same species, or if they're just quite similar.

Every great now and then a cardinal will show up, and one did a day or two ago.

Not sure where this leads, but so far it's limited to my yard. I tried grabbing a camera, but my Canon M50 with the "kit" zoom lens doesn't zoom nearly enough to make a bird 20 feet away be a significant part of the frame.

I'm starting to maybe recognize some of the calls, meaning alarm vs "feed me mommy/daddy".
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:41 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

That’s how many people get started - by identifying their back yard birds.

We knew we were seriously hooked when we spent one of our Hawaii vacations running all over the island birdwatching instead of snorkeling every day.

Birding goes naturally with hiking and countryside sightseeing. For many, it’s just a great way to get out and enjoy nature.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Could the 3 shades of grey bird be a catbird? A pretty grey bird that has a darker patch on the top of the head and mews like a cat (but can sing other songs too). The catbird often sites on the top of a bush or fence post --hence the phrase "sitting in the catbird's seat."
Catbird it is! I heard the meowing sound, and they do hop from post to post a lot.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #113

Our town is currently hosting a Eared Quetzal. First one found in the US was in the Cave Creek Canyon.
102699989_10217813772724650_3073088883614230393_n.jpg

Photo courtesy of resident Steve Wolfe
Old 06-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Our town is currently hosting a Eared Quetzal. First one found in the US was in the Cave Creek Canyon.
Attachment 35274

So pretty!
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Attachment 35274

wow! What a great bird, thanks for posting
Old 06-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Attachment 35274

Wow!!! Nice visitor!

I saw an Elegant Trogon in that Cave Creek area years ago.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Catbird it is! I heard the meowing sound, and they do hop from post to post a lot.
The rusty colored butt under the tail is also a good ID characteristic.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well that’s cool.

Baby birds fall out of nests all the time, and parents are usually able to feed them on the ground if necessary until they are able to fly.
It wasn't so much the parents not feeding them, but other critters eating them. Plus, the couple nights of cool rain would have probably done 'em in.

Edit: While it is true that you should leave fledgling birds alone, if they are indeed nestlings (as was my case), then they almost always should be rescued. In my extensive research, I didn't read ANYWHERE that you should leave nestlings on the ground. Here is some good reading for those that might come across a baby bird that might seem out of place. https://www.audubon.org/news/when-yo...cue-baby-birds
Old 06-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
We have probably the largest population of Pileateds in the country at Congaree National Park.

My favorite bird apps: Song Sleuth, Merlin Bird ID, Audubon, eBird.
Redbug,

Thanks for the tip. I hope to get down to your area this winter. Have you ever been to the Frances Beidler Forest? I really enjoy that place.
Which app do you like best?

Mark
Old 06-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron that shows up in our community around the same time the past couple years. We only see the one and it hangs out for about a month, then gone. We also have a couple Black-crowned Night-Herons that come around and have a litter of babies in the trees behind our house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2315.jpeg (169.2 KB, 14 views)
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birding