Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We enjoyed watching a yellow-crowned night-heron at an RV park in Central TX. It was very proficient at catching crawfish and gobbling them down whole.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This happened yesterday at AEF-NEFL eagles nest. Our eaglets have fledged and there are guests at the nest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #123

Saw 2 new birds. One was black, red, and a speckly white, with a (red?) peak on the head. The other was dull yellow and an off-black color. Both eastern Pa.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Saw 2 new birds. One was black, red, and a speckly white, with a (red?) peak on the head. The other was dull yellow and an off-black color. Both eastern Pa.
How large were these birds? Bigger or small than a robin? Did you see them on the ground or in a tree? Did you hear their songs or calls?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I saw a humming bird feeding off of some flowers near my rear deck. They are truly amazing animals.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
How large were these birds? Bigger or small than a robin? Did you see them on the ground or in a tree? Did you hear their songs or calls?
Saw them in trees. About the same size as a robin, but not as fat. The red white and black one had a longish tail. Don't remember any calls.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I saw a humming bird feeding off of some flowers near my rear deck. They are truly amazing animals.
Last time I saw hummingbirds was more than 10 years ago, in my back yard. They were hovering around either my roses or my Echinacea flowers.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Saw them in trees. About the same size as a robin, but not as fat. The red white and black one had a longish tail. Don't remember any calls.
Could the red white and black bird be an Eastern Towhee?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #129

Quote:
Maybe a woodpecker? But size would be important here.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes! If you are West Coast, your hummers migrate north via land - the Rufous all the way to Alaska! For most of Central and Eastern US, those tiny Ruby-throated Hummingbirds fly across the Gulf - from the Yucatan Peninsula to the US coast, flying with those tiny wings at 18 mile an hour! Around 500 miles. I guess it takes them a day as long as they don't run into a nasty storm or high winds.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Could the red white and black bird be an Eastern Towhee?
The red white and black bird appeared again this morning in my back yard. It was hopping along my wooden fence, looking for insects I hope. Maybe it ate some of those darn carpenter bees! I got a better look at it before it flew off this time. It has a white belly, a cap of red on top of its head, and a zebra back (combo black and white horizontal lines). I found a pic of it online and it is supposedly a woodpecker of some sort. Pretty bird.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:10 AM   #132

Quote:
The red white and black bird appeared again this morning in my back yard. It was hopping along my wooden fence, looking for insects I hope. Maybe it ate some of those darn carpenter bees! I got a better look at it before it flew off this time. It has a white belly, a cap of red on top of its head, and a zebra back (combo black and white horizontal lines). I found a pic of it online and it is supposedly a woodpecker of some sort. Pretty bird.
Sounds like a Downy or Hairy Woodpecker.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

We strolled along the river.....mama Merganser and eight chicks doing the movie submariner shtick, "Dive, Dive".......and zipping along underwater.....they scared the crap outta a group of Canada Geese who may not have encountered them before, since they're not really 'regulars' here.

Of course we didn't have a camera.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #134

Saw a hawk today. Only reason was that he was evading a bunch of crows that were harassing him. Lots of swooping going on, that caught my attention. The crows chased him into a different tree. Light grey colored hawk.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #135

We had a hawk in our backyard today. We have a pool. He would fly from a small tree by the pool to the pool deck and stare into the water and then hold out his wings looking very menacing. Then he'd fly to the other end of the pool and do the same thing. Over and over for 45 minutes. I finally went out and looked to see what was in the pool that had his attention. Nothing. Only thing I can figure is that he saw his reflection. In 25 years of living here I have never seen this happen.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 06-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #136

One day I was locking up the front door, about to leave for w*rk, or something, and whoosh! I heard the noise and saw a flash to my right, then some heard some rustling, and a hawk flew up out of the azalea bush holding some rodent in its claws. Straight into the bush, and then right up out of the bush with the prize. Impressive!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
We had a hawk in our backyard today. We have a pool. He would fly from a small tree by the pool to the pool deck and stare into the water and then hold out his wings looking very menacing. Then he'd fly to the other end of the pool and do the same thing. Over and over for 45 minutes. I finally went out and looked to see what was in the pool that had his attention. Nothing. Only thing I can figure is that he saw his reflection. In 25 years of living here I have never seen this happen.
I bet he saw his reflection when he flew above the pool, and figured there was a competitor hawk hanging out in the pool. I've heard of birds flying into glass doors or windows when they see their reflection.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've had a bunch of Wood Storks (aka Ironheads) hanging out here in Fl for the past couple weeks. I think they are meeting up to find mates. There was three different groups in the same area totaling about 75 birds. I found this unusual because we normally see them solitary or occasionally in pairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0898.jpg (149.5 KB, 25 views)
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sandhill cranes
Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #139

Sandhill cranes

This couple was hanging out in my neighbor's yard this afternoon.

Attachment 35847
Old 08-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #140

So cool! I've never seen cranes. Wish I would.

Tags
birding