Birdman or Theory of Everything?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Both Oscar nominees are already in VOD on iTunes... which would you see if you could only watch one..?

BTW, have seen Sniper, Imitation Game and Boyhood...all highly recommended.

Selma, Grand Budapest don't trip my trigger....yet.

Would love to see Whiplash, but it's in such limited release...hasn't come to town yet.

The reviews of Birdman have piqued my curiosity slightly more so that's the direction I'd most likely lean. Hope to get around to all nominees eventually ( so far I've seen only American Sniper). Based on media reaction, my two-cent hunch would be for Imitation Game to take the statue.

Both in my Netflix queue, Theory of Everything is first.

Chose Birdman..not for everyone. brilliant in places..very dark in places...many layers..lots of fantasy... great performances by Keaton and Norton. I think it might take the statue Sunday night because it's a movie about show business and actors. Cinematography was way cool and the director did some groundbreaking stuff with the pacing. Took awhile to get the rhythm of the movie. If you've seen it, I'd like to know what you thought...

Liked Selma.

I would choose Theory first, but that's just me.

Both, though I haven't seen either yet.

Birdman bugged me. Too artsy-fartsy for me. Depressing characters.

The Hawking movie was better IMHO.

Whiplash was better than those two, and if you don't mind one that pulls heartstrings, St. Vincent.

DW and I went out to see Theory of Everything tonight. Very good. I haven't seen Birdman so can't compare.

Gone Girl has been best movie we have seen this year; American Sniper was also good. Didn't care for Boyhood and we see Theory of Everything at dollar cinema tomorrow. Grand Budapest was strange.

Marc

Technically and conceptually I liked Birdman, but emotionally it left me cold. There was nothing particularly deep or insightful about its characters or their situations.
The idea of telling a story about the theater on screen by having a live theater like structure with no cutting to different camera angles was quite clever. But beyond that what was this film's purpose? Another story about addicts or actors or art being a struggle? For me, it just was not what it thinks it was.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Birdman was slow and boring. If you're a self absorbed Hollywood type you probably loved it.

I've only seen half of the Best Picture nominees:

American Sniper - Good movie, but not sure it's Best Picture material.
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Excellent, quirky, and I loved it.
The Imitation Game - Good movie, but like American Sniper, I'm not quite sure it's up there at the Best Picture level.
The Theory of Everything - Also an excellent movie, and I'd have to give the nod to Eddie Redmayne for Best Actor.

Of the two I liked best, Grand Budapest and Theory, I'd have to give the nod to Grand Budapest for Best Picture. I just thought the story, acting, visuals, etc, were fantastic. Theory was a close 2nd, but for me, Budapest is on top this year.

Just goes to show how varied personal tastes are. There are raves here about a movie that DW & I thought was a pointless waste of time (thank goodness it was on 'free' TV), but no need to say which one as it's all a matter of personal tastes. But then, we've probably seen every Oscar winning 'best movie' each year and we didn't like more than half of them. We're starting to believe 'best picture' means "skip it" for us...

2013 - "12 Years a Slave"
2012 - "Argo"
2011 - "The Artist"
2010 - "The King's Speech"
2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
2007 - "No Country for Old Men"
2006 - "The Departed"
2005 - "Crash"
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"