Join Early Retirement Today

Bitcoins in the news again
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
gone traveling

Bitcoins in the news again

I tried, but perhaps I'm too old to grasp the concept.
I fear some greedy and naive investors are going to get badly burnt on this one.

http://www.smh.com.au/money/investin...412-2hp5h.html
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I dont get it either.

"Created in 2009 by a programmer or programmers known only by a pseudonym, the bitcoin world has, until now, been dominated by a cabal of anonymous traders."
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cowie shells, tulip bulbs, Beanie Babies, Bitcoins .....

Investing in bit coins sounds a lot like giving my money to people I don't know to do things I don't understand and with no promise that I will ever see any of it again.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I was reminded of this:

Quote:
Among the many companies to go public in 1720 is — famously — one that advertised itself as "a company for carrying out an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is".[28
(from the wikipedia page on the South Sea Bubble: South Sea Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So far, few real companies accept bitcoins as payment, and the primary place they can be used is an online bazaar, known as Silk Road, where narcotics and weapons are the main wares for sale.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/money/investin...#ixzz2QEjBWBNk
Mmmm, yeah. No, than you.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Cowie shells, tulip bulbs, Beanie Babies, Bitcoins .....

Investing in bit coins sounds a lot like giving my money to people I don't know to do things I don't understand and with no promise that I will ever see any of it again.]
Indeed. But have I got a deal for you my Kiwi friend. We should start a new venture dealing in Zitcoins. We will grant 1 Zitcoin for every zit or pimple a person has. You gain more Zitcoins by increasing the number of zits, or by trading zits with other members.
Ah, but how do we make money, I hear you ask. Well we float the venture on the HK stock exchange, after we reach a substantial membership base. Imagine millions of teens and preteens using Zitcoins to buy iTunes, zit cream and the like. We could venture into pharmaceuticals, set up a production company in Shenzen, and an online shopping cart and Zitpay payment service.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am intrigued by the concept. However, I am being very cautious because of all the paranoia expressed by many. Nevertheless...

Bitcoin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.weusecoins.com/en/
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

At least beanie babies were fun to look at and good for a decoration in a 7 year olds room. Bitcoin is just a bunch of 0's and 1's that don't provide any value in of themselves. The only "value" they have is that others will accept them and that "value" is certainly extremely subjective ($ 260 to $ 56). My guess is that bitcoin will go back to its true vale of $ 0 soon enough.
AndrewJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

Of course, the same can be said of gold and the US Dollar. Bitcoin is purported to escape the inflation tax of paper currencies. How long that will hold true is anyone's guess.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Today I was curious about Bitcoin. So looked it up before seeing this thread. Here's Krugman's take on it:
Quote:
So how’s it going? The dollar value of that cybercurrency has fluctuated sharply, but overall it has soared. So buying into Bitcoin has, at least so far, been a good investment.

But does that make the experiment a success? Um, no. What we want from a monetary system isn’t to make people holding money rich; we want it to facilitate transactions and make the economy as a whole rich. And that’s not at all what is happening in Bitcoin.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Of course, the same can be said of gold and the US Dollar. Bitcoin is purported to escape the inflation tax of paper currencies. How long that will hold true is anyone's guess.

A currency is designed to grease the wheel of an economy... it is designed to make business transactions easier... to 'store value' if you will... it is not designed to make people rich... investing does that...

As someone else pointed out... I see this as a beanie baby craze.... or even a pyramid scheme.... where can I go to get my cash out when I want IOW, if I have Euros, I can easily convert them to Dollars or Yen... I do not see an easy way to convert these to any other currency unless this is some individual willing to buy mine...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I was hard pressed to think of currency like product more risky than airline frequent flier miles until they invented bitcoin. P.T. Barnum would be wondering why he didn't think of it

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

The whole concept of BitCoin baffled me. Beyond just the obvious questions over how an electronic fiat currency could be created without an economy, government or really anything behind it to back it up... the following two points in my mind doomed this from the start

1) By definition, the algorithms and math behind the system cannot ever be changed or improved. Nothing stops a competitor of BitCoin from reproducing the model and improving on the security of it, then pointing out potential vulnerabilities in the mathematics used for the older more outdated BitCoin system. Instantly a BitCoin would be diluted by another market and people would shift over to it creating a drop of 50-99% of BitCoins value.

2) As we all are well aware, computers get faster and faster every year. In 5 years you'll be carrying a cell phone or watch with the computing power of the worlds fastest super computer from 5 years ago. What is mathematically impossible to defeat today from a security standpoint could easily be broken in a decade or few with quantum computers. Processing power so incredibly advanced that it could even cripple today's most advanced RSA encryption used by Amazon and the other payment system monsters.

This was a short term fad... I'm sure some made a fortune on it. For the long haul, its destine to fail, and fail badly.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

bitcoins?
bit cons
s*it coins

If this forum's mostly savvy people cannot figure it out, then we are left with the obvious default.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was hard pressed to think of currency like product more risky than airline frequent flier miles until they invented bitcoin. P.T. Barnum would be wondering why he didn't think of it

I would not put FF miles in the currency category... they are just bonus points to be used...

But they have made them where you can buy things... but still, not like cash...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Another article if anyone cares:

Bitcoin Craze Highlights Intrinsic Value of Gold and Silver (GLD, SLV, EBAY, AMZN) - 24/7 Wall St.

Quote:
The current craze reminds me of the lessons of DigiCash from the 1990s that was supposed to be an anonymous virtual currency. I actually wanted that effort to work, but it was ahead of its time and there were too many concerns and technical limitations keeping it from succeeding. Then there was eCash. Now there are at least a dozen offshoots. The world of micropayments was supposed to take off 10 years ago, and Peppercoin was supposed to be a leader there. Now that domain is an insurance website, and you hardly ever hear about micropayments now. So, what is the real long-term value of a buck, virtual or real? If history doesn’t somehow change, a buck is probably worth a buck.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
The whole concept of BitCoin baffled me. Beyond just the obvious questions over how an electronic fiat currency could be created without an economy, government or really anything behind it to back it up... the following two points in my mind doomed this from the start

1) By definition, the algorithms and math behind the system cannot ever be changed or improved. Nothing stops a competitor of BitCoin from reproducing the model and improving on the security of it, then pointing out potential vulnerabilities in the mathematics used for the older more outdated BitCoin system. Instantly a BitCoin would be diluted by another market and people would shift over to it creating a drop of 50-99% of BitCoins value.

2) As we all are well aware, computers get faster and faster every year. In 5 years you'll be carrying a cell phone or watch with the computing power of the worlds fastest super computer from 5 years ago. What is mathematically impossible to defeat today from a security standpoint could easily be broken in a decade or few with quantum computers. Processing power so incredibly advanced that it could even cripple today's most advanced RSA encryption used by Amazon and the other payment system monsters.

This was a short term fad... I'm sure some made a fortune on it. For the long haul, its destine to fail, and fail badly.
Well, I'll be the only one on this board to say so, but I think that this currency will continue to thrive and serve a purpose.

If we get quantum computing, we no longer have any security, anywhere, and suggesting that will happen in a decade or two seems very speculative anyway. In other words, all of our crypto will be useless, so we'll have bigger problems than bitcoin, hehe.

As to the process of minting new bitcoin, the process automatically gets harder. The algorithm is set up so that there will never be more than some pre-defined number of bitcoin in existence (more than I can say for paper we print). As to getting country based currencies from and to bitcoin, you can do that today on many exchanges, and soon there will be ATM's.

I own $5 worth of bitcoin ( just for fun). Actually, I bought in with $5. I think it might be $50 or $100 now (yep, it fluctuates a lot). I bought in when discussions came up on the crypo boards, early-on.

Governments want desparately for it to fail, so they might find a way to bring it down. I suspect that the volitility will stay high, which keeps confidence low.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Well, I'll be the only one on this board to say so, but I think that this currency will continue to thrive and serve a purpose.
No, you are not. However, I am still not THAT committed... but I am fairly receptive to the concept.

How Do You Order A Beer With Bitcoins? | Popular Science
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I hope you are right. Eventually something will happen to break the government monopoly on money. Who knows how that will go, but it sure be interesting! All governments have done about as badly as could be done, so it won't please everyone, but some will be better off.

Talent and money will eventually shuck off the baggage that they are dragging. When that happens it won't be calm, but it will be interesting. Interesting indeed.

Ha
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello all

Bitcoins were created for so many reasons, here are some of them
1. Avoiding taxes because there are no tax law when we do transactions with bitcoins. This will benefit international traders.
2. This digital currency will allow small businesses to eliminate middle man (banks, credit card companies, and other financial institution). That means higher margins because all those fees from banks and credit card company will be gone when they use bitcoins. Again, this is benefiting international trades or transactions.
3. People in china has been using this digital currency since year 2000. It is really tough for chinese to purchase stuff from overseas because of capital control by Chinese government, therefore most people in china are using bitcoins. It will allow them purchase stuff from overseas and bitcoins are untraceable by government.
4. Black markets do exist and they are everywhere, bitcoins will make it easier for them when they do business internationally and once currencies become bitcoins, they are untraceable.

My opinion... Bitcoins and money are the same, they were created out of thin air and they are fiat money. Both are just tools or i would say medium of exchange. I don't think bitcoins were created for investment purposes but i will not be surprise that we can profit from it because bitcoins idea is still new and growing fast. In the long run, bitcoins will be just like other world currencies. It's a good idea for short-term but know when to get out and plan an exit strategy.

Happy investing in global market!
G-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Where is the best place to buy some?
Snowx800 is offline   Reply With Quote