Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
The IMac is essentially the only Mac that didnít get refreshed this year so I donít think there is much demand for them right now. It is anticipated that new models will be announced shortly after the new year. You can get a small discount at B&H Photo/Video in NY, but nothing to get excited about.
Yep, only $100 off, although no shipping or sales tax. Unless an incredible bargain shows up I'll wait for the new lineup. Thanks.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We ventured out to Costco today because we needed a few items they had on sale. I expected the worst but when we got there the parking lot was half empty. There really weren't that many people in the store, and the checkout line was not even five minutes.

We also stopped by the local Kohl's store because they have all of the Amazon Echo products on display there. Again, not much traffic, no problem parking (and this shopping center is normally packed). It was definitely not typical Black Friday crowds. It might be because we went late in the day, but in general it just didn't seem very busy today.

Maybe Black Friday isn't as popular as it used to be before online shopping took off.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
+1 for the SSD! Fast boot up will spoil you....
Bought a new laptop a few weeks ago with a 512GB SSD. I had to build it on line to get the 17" display and the SSD.

The old Laptop (9 years old) took about 2 minutes to boot (seemed like an hour). The new one takes about 20 seconds (probably less). I never turned the old one off, because of the boot time. Now, no problem.

FWIW, I was iffy on the SSD until I posted here for comments.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to Kohl's first, because I had a $10 off $10 coupon that had to be used by 1 pm. The line was long with about 10 people ahead me, but they had 8 cash registers open. They had an employee holding up a sign at the end of the line. Hadn't seen that before.

Next stop was Walmart.
A few more cars in the parking lot compared to a typical weekday, but no lines at checkout. I was actually able to try using Walmart Pay linked to Chase Pay for 5% rewards. Bought two nice-ish backpacks that will be donated August 2019 for back to school.

The third stop was Staples.
Used both Chase credit cards to get 10% off gift cards.
The "Happy" gift cards were already 10% off, so it was 20% off.
No line.

Lunch at TGIFridays.

Then $20 off next week's groceries if I bought $100 VISA gift card at ShopRite.
Because they accept Chase Pay for 5% rewards, the $5.95 was essentially negated.

Then home.

Did not buy anything online.

Pretty good day.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
^^^^^^^^ You are a Great Bargain Hunter.

I missed the Chase CC offer.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I missed the Chase CC offer.
It doesn't expire for another 20 days if you have it.

It is only in their Chase Mobile app not their Chase Pay app and not on their website.
People who don't have smartphones are penalized.

And the app only works with Android 6+ ; I don't know about the requirements for iOS.
People who have smartphones but not the latest ones are penalized.

I happen to have a tablet that runs Android 6, so I was lucky.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The crazy shopping of BF baffles me. I guess it is like sport? Kind of like crazy people who go deep in the woods with a metal detector? To each their own I guess. Just not my cup of tea.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The crazy shopping of BF baffles me. I guess it is like sport? Kind of like crazy people who go deep in the woods with a metal detector? To each their own I guess. Just not my cup of tea.

I agree mostly. I just buy stuff when I decide I want/need it. If the planets align and it is within a week or so of Black Friday I might wait, but otherwise I ignore it.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
I agree mostly. I just buy stuff when I decide I want/need it. If the planets align and it is within a week or so of Black Friday I might wait, but otherwise I ignore it.
I agree. Same here. I did look around on line but as the thread title indicates, no great deals. DD was at Target so I did ask her to pick me up a flannel shirt they had on sale for $7. She asked what color. She doesn’t understand being retired, I don’t really care what color it is. Especially for $7. She didn’t give it to me so I suspect I may find it wrapped for Christmas. Good enough. It’s a bit strange but good not to need anything.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #30

I am a little behind the times. do the ssd drives replace the hd in your laptop? do you have to remove the hd and install the ssd?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I am a little behind the times. do the ssd drives replace the hd in your laptop? do you have to remove the hd and install the ssd?
Yes, and that is the just the first step.
With some laptops it is a one-minute job removing the hard drive.
With others it requires a complete disassembly.
You'll want to read your owner's manual first before making a purchase.

1. purchase SSD
2. clone your current hard drive to the new SSD using a USB-to-SATA adapter
3. remove old hard drive
4. insert SSD
5. cross fingers
6. power up laptop
Old 11-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Unfortunately, they "save" a lot of the bargains on tech for this time of the year.
I bought an Amazon kid edition tablet to donate.
The cheapest price is now without having to jump through hoops of using American Express membership points or Citi points.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #33

Picked up a few things:

Drill:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NNF0YU

Carbon monoxide detector:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ND74XA

Kindle paperwhite (older gen) for $30

I browse the best seller section of my favorite categories and see what's on sale.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #34

Picked up an iPad for $249 off the Costco.com site. Good deal if you are looking for an iPad.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:40 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't mistake Optane memory for RAM. The Optane tries to turn a standard hard-drive into an SSD, & does a pretty good job, depending on the file sizes you work with. I won't go into caching techniques because you don't care, but Optane is a good thing to have.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote