Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Made 3 small purchases at participating local businesses today. AMEX sent me 3 separate e-mails promising $10.00 credits within 90 days.
I got 2 out of 3. The fancy olive oil shop listed on Amex' site as a participant doesn't take Amex. I was already aware of another small local business listed as a participant that doesn't take Amex. Both have told me that Amex isn't very small-business friendly.

DH said that may be deliberate; AE has no motivation to clean up its list since some people may leave without purchasing anything when they can't use their AE (thus "punishing" places that don't take it). I just handed over my Visa, which is exactly why I keep a Visa around, too.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Made 3 small purchases at participating local businesses today. AMEX sent me 3 separate e-mails promising $10.00 credits within 90 days.

We seldom frequent the businesses in question because their prices seem high, but the incentive was irresistible!

Amethyst
Actually, the e-mails are acknowledgment that you shopped at a participating business. The promise they make is to give a $10 credit for qualifying transactions. This made me wonder if I would still have received an e-mail if I had shopped at a qualifying business and spent less than $10?

Also, is that $10 limit the price before tax, or including tax? I'm thinking it's including tax.

EDIT - I just called Amex and asked them. It's the price of the total transaction (including tax).

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

BTW, if you're into the stuff, there's a wonderful store called Cadenhead's in Edinburgh (affiliated with The Tasting Room in London, which sells the same merchandise). They sell whisky from many of the great distilleries such as Laphroagh and Highland Park. dumped straight from the cask to a bottle. No blending (even within the same malting), no filtering, no dilution. Wonderful.

Yes! Yes! Casdenheads! I have a few bottles, well had a few bottles, and it really is smooth FIRE water!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #64

In Denver for Thanksgiving with friends and family and stayed over 'till Friday so DD could get her phone replaced while I was there. Went to the Verizon Store, the sporting goods store for lift tickets for skiing, and to Hobby Lobby to look at some shadow boxes DD was interested in for an art project she has in mind. We also stopped in at Target. Also went out for breakfast and lunch. Had a nice time. No crowds. The only lines were at Verizon, but that is normal any day that the schools are out and we were in and out in about 20 minutes. Overall a pleasant shopping experience for someone who hates shopping in general.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Black Friday, 2012. We went out to drive around the countryside and stopped by a few implement dealerships. I bout a $97,000 air seeder that was an incredible bargain. Decided I probably shouldn't go shopping on Black Friday anymore.

Yesterday, I was looking online and found a vacuum cleaner that we were planning to buy on sale for about $70 off the best price we had found anywhere else.

I feel I have redeemed myself.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I did not go out to shop on Black Friday, but I never shop in stores anyway.

Mr B made some noise about going to WallyWorld to get some all season radials for his Impala, and I looked at him like he was nutz.
He forgot what day it was. He'll go today to Goodyear to capitalize on their latest rebate offer.

For myself, I did purchase 3 Star of Holland (red/white stripe) amaryllis bulbs at a very good price from Holland Bulbs online.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I ventured out for first time ever on a Thanksgiving purchase. A 65in Vizio tv was offered for $648. I got their ah hour early to increase likely hood of being able to purchase and take home same night. Ran into a friend on way to line and she said "You will have no problem as people can't afford those, and everyone will be in the 50in line". Wow she was correct. Maybe 30 of us were in line and all easily received ours. Probably over 300 people were in line for 50 in. I never really did the math until recently so I was surprised that a 65 in tv is about 70% bigger than a 50 which is what I had. Tv looked like a movie screen when I first turned it on. It is amazing how quickly eyes adapt to the " new norm". Within 3 days it already looks like a normal size and I am sure within 2 years I will have wandering eyes for an 80 inch screen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just wondering what kind of shopping plans folks have today and what Black Friday deals they are targeting. I prefer to stay at home on this particular day, sometimes traffic gets a bit crazy, but I will be going to the car doctor, and DW has an errand or two.

Edit to add: car doctor said to stay at home, tow the car in Monday morning. Looks like I'll be staying in the whole weekend.
My Black Friday was conducted on an 18 hole golf course trying to coax the little white ball in the hole, all the while curing the golf Gods. My Winter Solstice shopping was done this morning with a few clicks of the mouse via Amazon Prime. The traffic on the bandwidth was pretty hectic but I'm none the worse for wear and I know my order made it though due to my Chase CC alerts. Bah humbug.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
My Black Friday was conducted on an 18 hole golf course trying to coax the little white ball in the hole, all the while curing the golf Gods. ......

Man, I wish I had that power. Beats being a Doctor.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #70

This Black Friday was one day in a mini-orgy of spending. My home computer died a month ago after 7 years of faithful service so it was time to build another - just in time for all the electronics sales that lead up to the crescendo of Black Friday / Cyber Monday. I made a sport of it - trying to shave off 20% here and there on individual components bought at various times on various sales. Ended up placing 3 different order (each) to the Tech bargain nirvanas of Newegg and Tigerdirect ...

- but all of this activity was entirely online. You couldn't pay me enough to fight with the Black Friday crowds in person.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
OK, here's what I'm getting. I will heretofore refer to it as "whisky".
Whisky lovers discover emerging world of Tasmania's liquid gold - The Economic Times

Quote:
The modest-looking building gives no hint about what lies within its four walls, except for a small sign hanging on a fence -- Sullivans Cove -- signalling the home of the makers of the recently anointed world's best single malt whisky
Quote:
"It's got all the structure there, the mouth-fill, the creaminess, all these things that aren't in so many whiskies these days because they are mass-produced."And that's the difference I think."

Influential international whisky expert Jim Murray, who rates the Tasmanian tipples highly, has also praised the casks -- all second-hand and previously used to keep other wines and spirits -- as being key ingredients in their success.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote