Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nothing. I never shop that day as it is a zoo. Plus we don’t need or want anything. As none of our 5 kids will be around this year we are going to a movie and eating out for thanksgiving. Nice change of pace versus cooking.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to make a BevMo run with my $20 off on $100 minimum black friday only coupon. Get some XO for the holidays -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I need a dishwasher and there are several so called Black Friday sales going on until the end of the month. I intend to see if there are any more deals on BF or cyber Monday. I’m not going to fight crowds so I’ll just check online.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since an Amazon account is required for Alexa to work, will you use yours for this community "Dot"? If so, any concerns about someone using the account to place an order for something?
Thanks... Yes I thought of that, so I went to the Alexa account. there is a setting to prevent buying via voice.

Am not really sure, though. the wording is a little tricky, and it looks like one can sign on to things like Amazon Music Unlimited by voice. I'm not very skilled in using Alexa yet. Would appreciate some assurance here.

In any case, will loan my net "dot" out to friends, hoping they'll buy their own.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't have anything in mind, but plan to browse Amazon and a few other online retailers.

I am bored this week, which is rare for me and needs to be addressed. Also I am in serious Blow That Dough mode. So, if I see anything that appeals to me, I guarantee you it's mine.
Well, I started browsing and got into instant gratification mode, so I bought a USB flash drive without waiting to see if it goes on sale later this week.

Somehow I suspect that this really ISN'T what Black Friday shopping is supposed to be like....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #46

We make it a point to stay miles away from any B&M stores between now and Christmas. The only ones we (well, DW really) buy anything for is the grandnephews, ages 3 and 4, and the grandnieces, ages 9 and 13, and she does the bulk of that online.

If I remember to I'll look for Turbotax online only on Black Friday but that's about all I can think of for now. Oh, and Horizon Hobby just came out with a UMX (Ultra micro) MIG 15 jet and if that goes on sale I might spring for it. Since it's new, a sale is unlikely though.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing comes to mind...we have everything we need. But, upon review...

I (we) have decided to throw out stuff we have accumulated in the "office" closet instead of buying more electronics and stuff we thought we would use.

Out:

My old work laptop (I use a Chromebook exclusively)
DW's laptop (she is on an Ipad)
Granddaughter's old laptop (when she lived with us in HS)
Kindle that we don't know where it came from (old one)
Wireless keyboard for DW's IPad (never used gift)
About 50 computer cables (various types) from my old computer repair business
Sticks of old RAM from old computers
Old video cards
Ten boxes or so of old paper records (bank statements, old tax returns, etc) - will be shredded.
Echo dot (used - slightly), broken wireless speakers, old sound bar

In:

Nothing in mind
Old 11-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

We've always laughed at those who fight the crowds on BF. Guess what we get to do sometime between 6:00PM Thursday and midnight Friday? We get to go to WalMart to save $300 each on 2 iPhone XS's. Joy to the world!
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Already bought a new fridge for the new house (got it about half off from "normal" price) and will probably get a new Simplisafe alarm as they are having a 25% off sale through tomorrow.

But, all bought on line. No physical stores for me...no way, no how.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #50

Black Friday for me has always been about finding some great online deals and placing the order while sitting on the sofa in my slippers drinking a glass of wine. I’ve never even remotely thought of heading to a B&M store on Friday and trying to get some limited offer deal while competing with hundreds of other shoppers. That sounds miserable.

A friend of mine tried to get that $300 off IPhone deal at Walmart last year only to find out that it’s limited to stock on hand at the store. Apparently they had less than ten units available for the sale. What a joke.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
A few years ago, I went to a Staples store for the BF deals, they were all out...

I went home, and was able to buy the same items from the Staples online store with free shipping at the BF price.

Ever since, I don't fight the crowds in the store, just the ones online
Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #52
gone traveling

I won’t leave the house.
I won’t buy online.
I will eat leftovers. Oink.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’m in the market for a Ruger lcp 2. I’ll scan the inter webs before venturing to the bass pro shop or my local gun store in person, though.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Just ordered a Firestick and an Amazon Dot for a total of $39.95. I'll use the Firestick, and will give the "DOT" (Alexa) to the CCRC, to put in the library, for residents to try and use. Hoping that this will encourage those who are living alone, to buy their own "Dot" ... some comfort and interaction to make their lives a little happier.
What a good idea!
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, I started browsing and got into instant gratification mode, so I bought a USB flash drive without waiting to see if it goes on sale later this week.

Somehow I suspect that this really ISN'T what Black Friday shopping is supposed to be like....
All you can do with a Flash drive is put stuff on it. If you're bored I don't think you're done yet. How about one of those sous vide things? Then you can tell me if it's worth it.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #56

For those who might be wanting a new Apple iThing, they will have some special offers coming up soon:

https://www.apple.com/us/shop/gifts/shopping-event
Old 11-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd ordinarily go out for a nice long hike on Friday, but rain is predicted in N Cal, esp on Thurs & Fri. Not that I'm complaining, we really really need it!

So I'll just hunker down with a good book. And maybe check what's on sale at Amazon.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For those who might be wanting a new Apple iThing, they will have some special offers coming up soon:

https://www.apple.com/us/shop/gifts/shopping-event
We've followed the Apple Black Friday deals for many years, and they tend to be quite obscure and not the main stream products.

In fact Apple resellers tend to give the best Black Friday deals on mainstream Apple products.

You never know, of course.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #59

I agree. Third party resellers usually have better deals than Apple itself.
But people often have Apple gift cards and you can't use them anywhere else so these Apple Black Friday sales can be useful.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #60

I'm using black Friday sales to make my new home a smart home and add needed security.

1. Already bought a $399 Dell computer from Best Buy (3 weeks ago my computer almost started on fire when the fan blew, kept smelling burnt plastic..yikes). This one is way better than I thought it would be (plastic feeling) but fairly fast and met my needs.

2. Nest Hello Doorbell ($50 off) (new door home has no visibility out of the front of the house on the first floor

3. Nest Camera ($50 off outdoor/$70 off indoor), chose the nest as one of the few that can identify pets vs. humans so hopefully I'll stop getting pings for birds/squirrels/etc.

4. Google Home Hub $(50 off)

5. Google Home Mini + GE Smart bulb ($30 off)

Then I'll also be looking for any good deals on home decor as I need some bar stools, pillows, etc
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote