Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Echo Dot. This year Amazon will have the 3rd generation Echo Dot for $24 in their BF sale. I'm nearing the end of a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime, that gave me early access to the deal via voice purchase. I bought the Echo Dot and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Not wanting to distract the thread, but I didn't find Prime to be worthwhile for me. Slower shipping for $120 less a year is fine with me.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Still looking at inexpensive laptops. Guess I will stop by Staples today and check the under $400 Black Friday selections, as their offers look good. Or not, as we are still smoked in.

ETA: I would rather buy another rental, but they aren't on sale this year.
I guess you missed out on the SAMS Club 1 day event? I picked up this;
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-pav...rod22480023.ip

HP Pavilion X360 Convertible Touchscreen 15.6" HD Notebook, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor, 24GB Memory: 16GB Intel Optane + 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, HD Wide FOV Webcam, B&O Play Audio, 2 Year Warranty Care Pack + Protection, Windows 10 Home, Pale Gold

Normally $899 on sale $400 off.

Man is this thing cool! The touch screen makes browsing so much faster. From the time I click the on button until I'm reading e-mails is under 30 seconds. I am blown away.

My last laptop was so slow, I could go make a cup of coffee in the time it took to boot up.

Walmart has the same computer right now for $600 but it comes with a HP stylus pen (about a $50 option);
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavili...lver/336713578
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I guess you missed out on the SAMS Club 1 day event? I picked up this;
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-pav...rod22480023.ip

HP Pavilion X360 Convertible Touchscreen 15.6" HD Notebook, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor, 24GB Memory: 16GB Intel Optane + 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, HD Wide FOV Webcam, B&O Play Audio, 2 Year Warranty Care Pack + Protection, Windows 10 Home, Pale Gold

Normally $899 on sale $400 off.

Man is this thing cool! The touch screen makes browsing so much faster. From the time I click the on button until I'm reading e-mails is under 30 seconds. I am blown away.

My last laptop was so slow, I could go make a cup of coffee in the time it took to boot up.

Walmart has the same computer right now for $600;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavili...lver/336713578
Sniff... No Sam's Club in the expensive Bay Area retail real estate market...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'm planning to fight the on-line crowds at Amazon and Walmart in search of a PS4 Pro for my grandson.

No need to . They are on sale now online at Target ,Walmart & Best buy for $199 with the superman game .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Do you order these online?

The only offer I saw was a 14% discount: $21.50 for a $25 gift card.

I’m wondering if I missed the 20% deal?
The $100 iTunes gift card is $79.49 until 11/19. Online or in store.

Limit 2 per customer.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'm planning to fight the on-line crowds at Amazon and Walmart in search of a PS4 Pro for my grandson.

I saw one listed for $199 somewhere yesterday on amazon, not sure if it was Pro tho.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We seem to be a tough crowd, sounds like we won't be adding much to the Black Friday sales totals. There is nothing I want enough to make me get in my car, drive over 15 miles, stand in line and fight the crowds on Black Friday.. Forgot to add endless lines at the checkouts.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The $100 iTunes gift card is $79.49 until 11/19. Online or in store.

Weird. When I looked for this earlier, it only showed the $25 gift card. Now I see the one for $100 too. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Just ordered a Firestick and an Amazon Dot for a total of $39.95. I'll use the Firestick, and will give the "DOT" (Alexa) to the CCRC, to put in the library, for residents to try and use. Hoping that this will encourage those who are living alone, to buy their own "Dot" ... some comfort and interaction to make their lives a little happier.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I'll ... give the "DOT" (Alexa) to the CCRC, to put in the library, for residents to try and use. Hoping that this will encourage those who are living alone, to buy their own "Dot" ... some comfort and interaction too make their lives a little happier.
Since an Amazon account is required for Alexa to work, will you use yours for this community "Dot"? If so, any concerns about someone using the account to place an order for something?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #31

Onlike bike stores have some pretty good BF sales. So I'm thinking of a set of carbon wheels for the mountain bike and a new drivetrain for the road bike. Maybe upgrade the cycling computer if I find a deal. Yes, it's a sickness.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
My one standard purchase is from Home Depot. Every year they have poinsettias on sale for $1, limit 12. I get 12 as they are small but with that many they make a nice showing.

Same here! I make a display on the front porch with them that really looks good. Gotta be quick though, they go fast and they have several other poinsettias for higher prices so you gotta be sure to get the $1 ones.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We seem to be a tough crowd, sounds like we won't be adding much to the Black Friday sales totals. There is nothing I want enough to make me get in my car, drive over 15 miles, stand in line and fight the crowds on Black Friday.. Forgot to add endless lines at the checkouts.
You don't have to fight crowds. Buy online.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #34

Starting Friday I will have my yearly "no drive zone" around the mall. It's gotten better over the years with the decline of mall sales. However this is located near my gym so I have to be strategic in my hours to go work out.

Then after Christmas and all the returns are done we'll get our yearly crazy signups to pack the gym for the 30 days of resolution until they thin out again.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
You don't have to fight crowds. Buy online.
I have noticed an increasing trend to have in store specials only...for example Menards has a lot of those and even retailers like Macy's are starting to do the same...online or go without is my Black Friday special..

Either the stores are making so little on these in store specials they don't want to bother warehousing and shipping them or they feel you end up spending more money once you go in the door.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I have noticed an increasing trend to have in store specials only...for example Menards has a lot of those and even retailers like Macy's are starting to do the same...online or go without is my Black Friday special..

Either the stores are making so little on these in store specials they don't want to bother warehousing and shipping them or they feel you end up spending more money once you go in the door.
Perhaps size and weight is a factor, too. It's a lot cheaper to ship a flash drive than a barbeque or tool box so it's more efficient for Menards to insist you buy at the store where they got 50 of them in one load.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Same here! I make a display on the front porch with them that really looks good. Gotta be quick though, they go fast and they have several other poinsettias for higher prices so you gotta be sure to get the $1 ones.
Yes, one year I got the wrong ones and didn’t realize until I went to pay. I abandoned that cart and went back but it was a zoo by then. Won’t make that mistake again.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I don't really have anything on my shopping list this year. But I'll probably browse some of my favorite online retailers to see of they have some good deals.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I don't have anything in mind, but plan to browse Amazon and a few other online retailers.

I am bored this week, which is rare for me and needs to be addressed. Also I am in serious Blow That Dough mode. So, if I see anything that appeals to me, I guarantee you it's mine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
4 TB or greater, portable, external USB hard drives.

Such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Port...n%3A5446816011

Need to make some more room on my file server.
Best buy has one for $79.99 right now if you have a best buy account...