Black Friday; what are you hoping to score?

Still looking at inexpensive laptops. Guess I will stop by Staples today and check the under $400 Black Friday selections, as their offers look good. Or not, as we are still smoked in.

ETA: I would rather buy another rental, but they aren't on sale this year.

Last edited:
Wifey is getting me an IPad Pro for my Birthday (during BF sales.)

I

The only think I hope to score on Black Friday is some take out for dinner. Otherwise that’s a day to lay low and avoid the craziness.

Costco already had their 20% off iTunes gift cards. That expires today.

I’m ordering some wine and some duck.

Peace and quiet in the backyard. I tend to shelter in place, as much as I can, from Thanksgiving until after New years Day.

The retail insanity is nothing that I want to partake in. Black Friday is the perfect moniker for what happens.

The perfect Christmas present arrived over 2,000 years ago.

My one standard purchase is from Home Depot. Every year they have poinsettias on sale for $1, limit 12. I get 12 as they are small but with that many they make a nice showing. I usually spread 6 or so around the house, give a couple to my daughter and give a couple away.

Otherwise, I check the ads and see if there is anything worthwhile but so far, I haven’t seen anything. Last year I got an air mattress that was normally $150 for $50. Works out great for when the grand kids are here.

Last edited:
Zip. My family does not have a gift-giving culture among the adults, although I'm giving DS and DDIL a Costco Executive Membership, which I do every year, and all of us are going to the Sugar Plum Fairy Ball (a lunch event for families, with ballerinas and music and face painting) because the 2-year old will never sit quietly through a performance of The Nutcracker.

Remember this time last year when everyone was mindlessly buying everyone else an InstaPot? I just saw a long FB post from a woman who had severe burns after hers exploded, spilling hot soup all over her, despite her following directions to the letter. (I hadn't realized it was a glorified pressure cooker.) I don't know what the "must have" is this year but I'm not buying it.

I'm planning to fight the on-line crowds at Amazon and Walmart in search of a PS4 Pro for my grandson.

Same here. I may work up the courage to do the same at Best Buy and Target in my quest to find the best deal on a Roku Ultra.

Best Buy is funny. They have some terrific online deals at times, but you won’t see those prices in the store, although they will price match themselves.:facepalm:

Best Buy is funny. They have some terrific online deals at times, but you won’t see those prices in the store, although they will price match themselves.:facepalm:

I can't recall the last time I was in a Best Buy store. I'm an online shopper only when it comes to electronics.

Thanksgiving has always been almost sacred to me; the one long weekend out of the whole year when you don't have to do anything except the things I enjoy anyway; cook, eat, relax with friends and family. And it's a secular holiday all can enjoy together.

It would be very hard to entice me out to shop on Black Friday to begin with. And crowds are the one thing I hate above almost all else. The whole idea is completely out of the question, for me.

I find it especially offensive that some stores are open on Thanksgiving itself.

One store I sometimes shop at is closed on T-day, but does have on-line specials that day. Not a bad solution, really.

One advantage of being retired is that, if I do need to hit the stores during the holiday shopping season, I can do it at "off" hours.

I don't actually buy anything in a store on Thursday or Friday. I scope out the deals I might want today, and order them from home very early Thanksgiving morning. I forgot to do that last year and missed a desktop computer deal at Staples. The same computer with a newer processor is on BF special this year for the same price, but I already replaced mine. Oh well...

I can't recall the last time I was in a Best Buy store. I'm an online shopper only when it comes to electronics.
They had an absolutely awesome deal on an iPad mini a year or so ago. $200. I ordered online for in store pickup as it was immediately available and the store is not far. I also picked out a selection of cases to look at. The case display in the store had much higher prices displayed than what was available online. I was shocked at the discrepancy, and that I had to show them their own online price, and that the checkout register configured it as a price match.

So, if you wander into a Best Buy store, check the online prices before buying anything.

So, if you wander into a Best Buy store, check the online prices before buying anything.

This is absolutely true. I just went there and picked up a keyboard for my iPad. The online price was $5 less, but that price was no where to be found in the store. However, one mention of the online price at the store and they matched it without hesitation. Be informed and prepared people. It’s a dog eat dog world :LOL:

Peace and quiet in the backyard. I tend to shelter in place, as much as I can, from Thanksgiving until after New years Day.

The retail insanity is nothing that I want to partake in. Black Friday is the perfect moniker for what happens.

The perfect Christmas present arrived over 2,000 years ago.

THAT'S for sure! (About the present, I mean.) And for that, I'm plenty thankful! :)

Costco already had their 20% off iTunes gift cards. That expires today.

Do you order these online?

The only offer I saw was a 14% discount: $21.50 for a $25 gift card.

I’m wondering if I missed the 20% deal?

Another Echo Dot. This year Amazon will have the 3rd generation Echo Dot for $24 in their BF sale. I'm nearing the end of a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime, that gave me early access to the deal via voice purchase. I bought the Echo Dot and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Not wanting to distract the thread, but I didn't find Prime to be worthwhile for me. Slower shipping for $120 less a year is fine with me.

Still looking at inexpensive laptops. Guess I will stop by Staples today and check the under $400 Black Friday selections, as their offers look good. Or not, as we are still smoked in.

ETA: I would rather buy another rental, but they aren't on sale this year.

I guess you missed out on the SAMS Club 1 day event? I picked up this;
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-pa...touchscreen-notebook-i5-8250u/prod22480023.ip

HP Pavilion X360 Convertible Touchscreen 15.6" HD Notebook, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor, 24GB Memory: 16GB Intel Optane + 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, HD Wide FOV Webcam, B&O Play Audio, 2 Year Warranty Care Pack + Protection, Windows 10 Home, Pale Gold

Normally $899 on sale $400 off.

Man is this thing cool! The touch screen makes browsing so much faster. From the time I click the on button until I'm reading e-mails is under 30 seconds. I am blown away.

My last laptop was so slow, I could go make a cup of coffee in the time it took to boot up.

Walmart has the same computer right now for $600 but it comes with a HP stylus pen (about a $50 option);
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavil...ital-Pen-15-cr0056wm-Mineral-Silver/336713578

Last edited:
I guess you missed out on the SAMS Club 1 day event? I picked up this;
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-pa...touchscreen-notebook-i5-8250u/prod22480023.ip

HP Pavilion X360 Convertible Touchscreen 15.6" HD Notebook, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor, 24GB Memory: 16GB Intel Optane + 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, HD Wide FOV Webcam, B&O Play Audio, 2 Year Warranty Care Pack + Protection, Windows 10 Home, Pale Gold

Normally $899 on sale $400 off.

Man is this thing cool! The touch screen makes browsing so much faster. From the time I click the on button until I'm reading e-mails is under 30 seconds. I am blown away.

My last laptop was so slow, I could go make a cup of coffee in the time it took to boot up.

Walmart has the same computer right now for $600;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavil...ital-Pen-15-cr0056wm-Mineral-Silver/336713578

Sniff... No Sam's Club in the expensive Bay Area retail real estate market...

Do you order these online?

The only offer I saw was a 14% discount: $21.50 for a $25 gift card.

I’m wondering if I missed the 20% deal?

The $100 iTunes gift card is $79.49 until 11/19. Online or in store.

Limit 2 per customer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom