Blizzard 2016 pictures

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those on the east coast who expierenced the blizzard last week , would you like to share any pictures?

A 40-year-old Toro snowblower we've had for 26 years. The machine that is. Had to replace a belt and fiddle with the fuel line this past weekend. Works great.

If you're in the market for a snowblower, get one with a round chute (not square). Round works better.

Attachments

• IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 37
I felt so bad from the bronchitis that I didn't even think to take any pics while I was snow blowing. BUT you guys have some great shots.

I assume those of you who moved all that snow did so because you're still working. If you don't need to go to work you could have just let it melt over the next week or two as temps will be in the 40's and 50's. If we got that much snow in the upper midwest, it wouldn't melt until April.

aaronc879, I work but it's not just because of work. My neighbor is elderly and has a short steep drive. He has no local family and I don't want him to hurt himself.......he's a nice neighbor. I made the mistake of leaving snow on my drive a few years ago. I've got 4wd and figured I'd just run over it. We had a thaw and freeze while I was at work and came home to a ice rink driveway with big icy ruts. Hard to walk or drive on and it was like that for days.

Front stairs of the house and sidewalk to the front door, looking toward the street.

And we are very glad we have a garage and keep our vehicles in it. No more clearing snow & ice off them!

Attachments

• blizzard-1.jpg
    blizzard-1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
  • blizzard-2.jpg
    blizzard-2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 28
  • blizzard-3.jpg
    blizzard-3.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 29
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

It's down to 73 today in SoCal - Brrrrr !

Attachments

• Orange_County.jpg
    Orange_County.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 32
I assume those of you who moved all that snow did so because you're still working. If you don't need to go to work you could have just let it melt over the next week or two as temps will be in the 40's and 50's. If we got that much snow in the upper midwest, it wouldn't melt until April.

some city ordinances require that sidewalks be shoveled within 24 hours

That was true in my suburban Philadelphia neighborhood. There was a Catholic School at the end of my street - and the kids needed to get to school. Also, mail (box at the door) wouldn't be delivered unless you cleared a path to the mailbox.

Ironically, the neighbor on the corner (with 2 sides worth of sidewalks), had teenage sons, and they refused to help... but had no trouble laughing as school kids and folks walking to the SEPTA train station fell and slipped dealing with the uncleared sidewalks.

Yes, we have that here. That's why i'll buy a place without sidewalks when I leave my condo.

We don't have to go to work, but we have other places to go. I can't imagine not being able to get the car out of the garage for a week or two.

There's also a safety issue. What if the fire department or ambulance needed to get to us?

Oh, and the UPS driver has to be able to get to our porch to deliver my Amazon packages!

We don't have to go to work, but we have other places to go. I can't imagine not being able to get the car out of the garage for a week or two.

There's also a safety issue. What if the fire department or ambulance needed to get to us?

Oh, and the UPS driver has to be able to get to our porch to deliver my Amazon packages!

You need to do what you need to do. For me, i'd have no problem staying home until the snow melted enough for me to drive thru it. I'd take my chances that I won't need Fire or Ambulance service for a couple weeks. I'd be likely to need them if I shoveled 2 feet of snow. I don't get UPS packages and if the USPS can't get to my mailbox then they can hold my mail for a couple weeks. I would have no problem whats so ever staying in my home for a couple weeks straight but I realize other people may feel differently.

Mostly I wanted to go skiing so I dug out. Eventually I also needed more food. I like fresh fruit and bananas only last so long.

DW, me, and grandkid #1 at the Capitol for tobogganing.

Attachments

• snow4.jpg
    snow4.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 21

If you don't clear the sidewalks and someone slips and falls...Besides, it's a township ordinance. We've been getting single digit night time temperatures. It's much easier to remove 3 fee of snow than 28 inches of ice.

The first ones out with the snow throwers were us and our ER across the street neighbor, rescuing a stuck driver.

The first pic is from an upstairs window with snow piled on the roof. The second is from Sunday, just after we cleared off the swim spa. We have our priorities straight.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453987961.951110.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453988004.447503.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We do get snow here in DFW area, but I find myself occasionally missing the snow we used to get living in the northeast. After viewing these pics, not so much.

We had a 1-2" blizzard in northern Illinois. But the neighbor's dog doesn't seem to mind. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1454000401.026492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Rant warning:

Yes Chicago is like that. They will fine you if you don't.
I think its a way to kill off the 80 yr old adults.

Why do some cities do that, while other cities plow the sidewalks just like they plow the streets. It's crazy to have citizens clean the sidewalk while taxes pay for stuff like festivals/parades etc.
Why not have citizens also clean the road since it's such a good idea.

Our city does not require it, and I'm glad as I live on a corner lot, and never asked for the city to make a sidewalk. The city repairs the sidewalk and won't let me park on it, so obviously they feel they own it, but they don't clean it.

Front stairs of the house and sidewalk to the front door, looking toward the street.

And we are very glad we have a garage and keep our vehicles in it. No more clearing snow & ice off them!

Thought about you in West Virginia as I viewed the reports.

Why do some cities do that, while other cities plow the sidewalks just like they plow the streets. It's crazy to have citizens clean the sidewalk while taxes pay for stuff like festivals/parades etc.

Don't ever move to Germany. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom