Blocking cell phone texts from scammers?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been getting scammer texts from a supposed Harris Bank credit card account--which I never have had one so this is a scammer--for a few years now. This uses my minutes.
I am sick of it totally, so today I phoned TMobile regarding can they block them? They can and would on my pre-paid cell phone account. I called their regular 877/778-2106 number and kept saying "agent" when the recorded message came on and got thru right away.
They seemed happy and willing to do this, and the lady said she blocked ALL the scammers that were texting me as they have a listing of them, and to call them if I get more scammers texting me in the future
The reason I am posting this is that I'm assuming all the cell phone companies do this for their users. Had I had a clue that they would block these numbers with a simple phone call to them, I would have done this years ago. Hopefully, this helps someone else here.:)

I don't understand why, as a user, I shouldn't be able to block certain phone numbers directly on my cell phone. It sounds easy to implement. We have had numerous calls from debt collection agencies in the past (they are looking for someone with a name vaguely resembling my wife's) and it would be nice if we could block those calls once and for all.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was this easy, especially with pre-pay (often treated like a 3rd class citizen). Although as FIREdreamer says, it should be something we can do ourselves.

On pre-pay esp, it's a little scary how quick some scammer might be able to eat up all our minutes. I have to check DWs phone from time to time, she doesn't even notice if she gets a text.

-ERD50

I don't understand why, as a user, I shouldn't be able to block certain phone numbers directly on my cell phone. It sounds easy to implement. We have had numerous calls from debt collection agencies in the past (they are looking for someone with a name vaguely resembling my wife's) and it would be nice if we could block those calls once and for all.
I can with verizon wireless. Up to 5 numbers no charge, more by paying a [-]outrageous[/-] [-]abusive[/-] monthly fee. Managed online.

Back
Top Bottom