Join Early Retirement Today

Bluetooth
Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Bluetooth

Wikipedia has failed me. It started out with a discussion on IMS band... more info than I needed.
I was interested in bluetooth technology for one simple reason. I wanted a device to add to my little radio/mp3 player and send a signal to a single earpiece that I could listen to while riding my bicycle. I seems to be a no brainer. A single earpiece for safety's sake. To be used by sports people, outside workers and anyone who needs to keep one ear open, but can handle monaural music, news or books on tape.

First, the disappointments... Sent for bluetooth transmitter with 3.5mm stereo jack plug... They sent me a receiver, and I found out that everyone who ordered the transmitter got a bluetooth receiver. That item had a short cord to plug in to any player... There are only a few out there online... mostly about $20+, and doesn't seem to be much interest.

Next... my cell phone has a radio, so I bought a single Bluetooth Earphone for $8 , figuring it would be better than nothing... works ok with the phone (which I only use for emergency), but doesn't work with the radio,

My computers are all older and have no Bluetooth, but now I have a $89 tablet that does have bluetooth. Doesn't work with the Samsung bluetooth headphone but at least it sees it... just can't pair. Soooo... sent for a single
bluetooth earbud... $10
Amazon.com: AGPtekŪ Rechargeable Li-on Battery Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Earphone Music Dreaming Headphone For Mobile Cell Phone Laptop Tablet (Working Distance Range:10m): Electronics

It works! Great sound... just what I wanted. Except... riding my bike with a 10 inch tablet could get expensive. So back to square one.

That's for starters.. I'll figure this out, and SHALL get what I want at a price under $20... but can't understand why this isn't bigtime all over the retail circuit. Certainly doesn't cost that much to produce.
End of that rant.<<<
.................................................. ...........................................
.................................................. ...........................................
How about an open discussion for bluetooth, and the obvious ways that the technology has grown and will expand in the future. Video, sound, operation of devices, tools, appliances and multiple means of communication between people and things.

This is one of the uses that seems to have almost limitless potential:
Quote:
Real-time location systems (RTLS), are used to track and identify the location of objects in real-time using “Nodes” or “tags” attached to, or embedded in the objects tracked, and “Readers” that receive and process the wireless signals from these tags to determine their locations.
Besides the mouse, keyboard, headphones, speakers etc., what do you have that uses bluetooth? Where do you think this will go in the future? What would you like to see?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just bought this as a planned gift for DW for Christmas.

Amazon.com: InateckŪ Mini Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Universal Audio Receiver, Bluetooth Adapter 3.5mm Audio Music Receiver for Home Stereo Sound System, White: Electronics

I tested it to make sure it would work OK, seems fine. She had some Bluetooth headphones - liked the convenience of BT, but didn't like the fit of those particular headphones. This just has a jack, so plug in any phones you like, or a stereo or car AUX input. Should work for a mono headset as well.

I see people with those BT 'bugs' in their ears, isn't that all you need? Plus maybe a transmitter if your device doesn't have built in BT?

Or, with the ear buds (no band like a headphone), you can put one in your ear and just wire-tie the other up. Then you've got a spare!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or, with the ear buds (no band like a headphone), you can put one in your ear and just wire-tie the other up. Then you've got a spare!
-ERD50
Yeah, but I can't stand the wire or anything hanging off the ear. And the transmitter is the problem... Too expensive $30, and too bulky. Want a tiny transmitter that is smaller than my MP3 players, abd can clip to my belt or fit into a shirt pocket.
.................................................. ....
The part of bluetooth that I'm really interested in, is the chip discovery, and interactive signals. Things like locators, for camera, keys, phone... or for alerts, as in shopping, locking doors. The medical appliance industry has done a good job in developing health feedback instruments. How about passes, security devices, electronics error monitoring.

Is any part of the no-driver car based on bluetooth? How safe is the bluetooth signal? Am thinking chip reading for documents or extended info for display goods in stores. Bluetooth rather than "square" ...

The different technologies are confusing. Am wondering if bluetooth has advantages that don't require the internet, like chips instead of QR codes that
one could read with internal software.

I have a feeling that I'm so far behind technology that this doesn't even make sense.

Off to some new adventure...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Imoldernu, you know 100% more about Bluetooth than I do. I really appreciate your ongoing search for knowledge.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote