BoA is screwing me

WanderALot

Full time employment: Posting here.
My recent experience with BoA has a set a new standard in how a company can screw me.

I have a reward credit card that returns 1% of my purchases in the form of a yearly rewards check. I've had this card with MBNA for the last 12 years without any major problems. This year, MBNA was purchased by BoA. I got my reward check as usual last month and deposited it into my credit union.

About 2 weeks later, I get a notice from my credit union that the check was returned!? WTF?! Not only did the check get returned because the "account couldn't be found", I also got charged a $15 fee for a returned check!!! :rant: I've called BoA about 3 times and each time (after a long hold), I have to explain my situation again and they all profess that they need to "research" the situation with the "rewards department". I've faxed them the returned check and other bank paperwork so they have everything. I went on a 2 week vacation and still haven't received a call back from them. I called them up yesterday and this time threatened to take them to small claims court (may not have been a good idea, but I was so freaking pissed at this point). The supervisor guy promised to call me back in 1 week after his "research". I can never get a number to call these guys because they say they don't have outside lines!! My guess is the after the merger, the rewards bank accounts got closed but they still issued the checks.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

Call the Better Business Bureau! I've used them three times, once with my mortgage company , a travel agency and Comcast. Within two weeks each problem was resolved promptly and I got my checks. I don't screw around with nuckle head customer service people anymore. The last thing these companies want is to be on the bad list of the BBB. They even have a website so you can file your complaint online. Good luck

Since it is a credit union, it should be easy to have the "returned check" fee waived...just ask...then write a letter to OCC OCC: Consumer Complaints and Assistance (since I believe that they regulate credit card companies) and cc BOA...document the situation and keep to the facts....

I have had a few bank complaints and it always work to do this...

WanderALot

They bounced a check on you. CA law allows you to collect something like $300.00 or three times the amount of the check! Might be more now.

I'd write a short note to them to them to remind them.

BOA is my bank. I can deal with them online and lately they've been real nice the few times I've ventured into the branches. Now Wells Fargo!!!! Bastids.

I'll have to post my story of how Wells Fargo tried to cheat me out of $1,000 and ended up giving me $15,000. They were more comfortable not admiting they were wrong than to ask for the money!! Shortly before this I became aware that my neighbor shorted them out of $10,000. When I called to report the $10,000 shortage (my neighbor bragged to me the story but not the bank so when he tried to sue me over a fence I guessed the bank when I won the case and he had to pay me with a check) on a specific date in a specific area they needed further information to match it to that $10,000 shortage.
They came to my work for a statement and I had all the info but they chose not to proceed. $25,000 loss to two customers!

I'll have to post my story of how Wells Fargo tried to cheat me out of $1,000 and ended up giving me $15,000. They were more comfortable not admiting they were wrong than to ask for the money!!

This is too good to let pass. I need to know the details ;)

If they bounced a check on you, take out a warrant for their arrest of the person that signed it, if they do not pay it within a month.

Sadly I have to do it alot for customers that bounce checks and refuse to pay them. It cost about 100 bucks but is soooooo worth it

Attachments

• flaming-bag-of-poo.jpg
    flaming-bag-of-poo.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 137
If you do not get a response from them within a week or two...

There is some regulatory entity that you can file a complaint with... state or federal. Check with your state attorney general. In our state I think it is the Dept of Commerce. You can probably file the complaint online.

There is some regulatory entity that you can file a complaint with... state or federal.

yeah...I already posted it...the OCC...Like I said, you wont get a response from them in a timely manner unless you do....I like the idea of suing them...or dropping a pile flaming poop..(actually, I would just do that in addition)....

I'm in the same MBNA now BofA boat. Keep me posted. Was it a check for $250?

Hey thats just going to be my standard response from now on. Give me bad service, screw up my account...get a flaming bag of pooh.

I feel good, they feel bad, its all good.

Hey thats just going to be my standard response from now on. Give me bad service, screw up my account...get a flaming bag of pooh.

I feel good, they feel bad, its all good.

BOA will charge you a processing free for cleaning it up, plus shoe shine costs.

They'll deduct it from your 0.0001% APR savings account.

Worth every penny.

Plus i'll be sure to get on the phone and scrutinize the fee schedule with them. If I come away unsatisfied...hell...I've got three 100lb dogs...

I'm in the same MBNA now BofA boat. Keep me posted. Was it a check for $250?

It was a reward check of about $210. I checked my account this morning, and it looks like they have issued a credit for $210, but not the $15 bounced check fee. Bastards.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys updated when/if something changes.

I'm having issues with them too. I've been trying to roll my wifes old IRA with them into Vanguard. Trouble is, its in her maiden name, and Vanguard is in her married name. BOA has refused several transfer requests. Dang, its the same dang SSN!

We have submitted TWO name change documents, as requested by BOA staff. Stuff is getting lost between the local offices and corporate or something.

I am going to have them just cut a plain old check and mail it to us.

Roll it manually and keep a record of doing it. Documents, Copies of checks, etc., and there should be no problem BUT they may try to withhold Taxes and possibly the 10% penalty. I they will not comply with her verbal request to send the check, I would hate to do it personally, but, a Registered Letter telling them to issue the check and her intents (which is really none of their business) and NOT to withhold any Taxes (state she understands she is responsible for any that MAY occur) and no penalties (as she will roll it over).

This makes me so glad that I deal with one investment account and two credit unions.

The title got me all worked up over nothing.

I second the W-F opinion. They screwed me once when I banked with them. Lost an ATM deposit check. So I promptly told them to take a hike.
Then they screwed me again recently when they dropped the ball on the buyer's financing of my house sale. My realtor warned me his track record with W-F was 0 for 7 in closing on time.

I've got an idea...

To hell with the flaming bag of poo. Lets get the Post Office to deliver some chiggers to BOA and W-F!

Both banks have bad reputations around these parts for throwing extra fees on peoples statements for stuff they werent supposed to be charged for. The items are promptly removed if you call and wade through voice menu hell, but the very next month...::)

I'll stick with the bank of vanguard, and a small local credit union.

Back
Top Bottom