Bob Smith checking in...

bob smith

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings to all of my fellow ERs! I have been away from the group for quite some time. I received an email from Cut-Throat, and he tells me that some have been wondering where I was, so I thought I'd post an update.

I've been away from the group since we started a major overhaul on our house. We hired a contractor who is very tough to get. He just called out of the blue one day to say he could start the next morning. So... we disconnected from the internet and basically lived in squalor for several months - we pretty much lived in one room for a part of it. Workmen were all over the place. We also did a great deal of the work. It was absolute chaos - much more involved than we imagined. I'll never do it again.

We also decided to pretty much toss many of our personal possessions and replace them with new. We had relied largely upon frugality to get where we are financially, and part of the plan was to replace almost everything when we retired. So we have been spending like drunken sailors. We still aren't done, but we're winding down.

In the meantime, one daughter has been in college several hours away, and we have enjoyed going out to see her, and we almost lost our other daughter due to complications of pregnancy - so we helped to nurse her back to health while helping with our two grandkids. Our daughter is fine now, and our new grandchild is struggling to catch up, but we expect/hope he'll be OK. My wife and I have spent much time together working on the house and relaxing. We have reconnected with nature and spend lots of time outdoors.

So... I have spent very little time online other than shopping and email, so I thought I'd drop by and let you know what I've been up to. I almost didn't see Cut-Throat's email. It was sent to a junk email address - one I use primarily to sign up for online stuff, so I don't check it often, and when I do, it's mostly a matter of deleting spam. Cut-Throat's email was buried among a long list of spam, and I just happened to notice the words "Are you OK? - The ER forum wants to know".

I am doing very well. Every day I find myself thinking that I am incredibly grateful to be retired. It has been 2 1/2 years since I left my job, and my life has improved in just about every way. I don't miss working in the least. I find that I usually don't get enough sleep... I have no problem sleeping, I simply don't want to sleep because there is so much I want to do. My health has improved. My mood has improved. I'm learning many new things in previously unexplored areas. I spend almost zero time thinking about investments. For some reason, I just don't worry about the future anymore and my investments are pretty much on auto-pilot. When I had a steady income I worried about financial security. Now I never worry about it. In short - retirement is producing some fundamental changes in me that I did not anticipate. And so far it has all been for the better. The past 2 1/2 years have been the best of my life.

Wow! This is a different place with lots of names I don't recognize, and some I expected to see that don't seem to be here anymore. I'm going to spend some time checking out the changes here. It's good to be back. Cut-Throat, I'm sorry for the delay. I was visiting my parents in northwest Iowa but I just replied to your email.

Hey Bob,

I was mostly just lurking when you were still posting, but you were always one of my favorites and I really missed you when you were gone. I'm glad to hear that you have been doing well. Isn't it strange to think that someone you didn't even know cared about you did? Welcome back!

shiny

Hello Bob Smith (formerly Bob_Smith), and welcome back to the forum! Yes, there have been some changes, deletions and additions in the 21 months since you dropped off the face of the earth took your sabbatical. We had imagined all sorts of depressing reasons for your sudden disappearance. Nice to know you are alive and well...and enjoying ER.

I'm not sure it is even worth attempting getting caught up on everything that's transpired since you were last around these parts. TH (AKA "Cute Fuzzy Bunny"/CFB...don't ask) left the forum to pursue life (?) a few months back. Others have left, changed names (don't ask), and of course, many new members have joined the forum. It's the same, but different.

Glad to have you back...and to no longer have to wonder "Whatever happened to Bob..." ;)

REWahoo! (formerly REWanabe)

Great to hear you are OK Bob. :)

I was concerned about you and started a couple of Bob_Smith threads quite awhile ago. When you didn't respond I think we were all a bit worried.

Welcome back! You were one we really missed.

Bob! I am so glad things are going well and you aren't dead in a ditch some place.

Hang around and meet some of the new folks.

Besides the one's that REWahoo mentioned, Mikey is still around but he is HaHa. Nords is still Nords. Salary Guru is SG or SGeeee or some other variant depending on his mood. Wabmester is Wab. Hyperborea disappeared around the same time you did. I am sure I missed many more changes.

Thanks shiny. It's very kind of you to say that.

shiny said:
...I was mostly just lurking when you were still posting, but you were always one of my favorites and I really missed you when you were gone...

REWahoo! said:
Hello Bob Smith (formerly Bob_Smith)

Hey REWahoo! I think it will do me some good to be around here because I must be slipping (which might also explain my sudden lack of worry about the future). I forgot my old moniker had an underline between Bob and Smith, and I couldn't figure out how log on. So I re-registered. But now that I know my name, I'll just use the old one. I'm glad I bought that nursing home insurance.

Zipper said:
Welcome back!

Thanks Zipper. I hope things are going well for you. I haven't made it up to Canada yet, but it's on my list to visit the old homestead in Lucan, Ontario where my great-great-great grandfather landed when he left Ireland during the famine.

Martha said:
Besides the one's that REWahoo mentioned, Mikey is still around but he is HaHa. Nords is still Nords. Salary Guru is SG or SGeeee or some other variant depending on his mood. Wabmester is Wab. Hyperborea disappeared around the same time you did. I am sure I missed many more changes.

Thanks Martha. All of the people you mention are heavy hitters. Is Jarhead still here? Or Charlie? Are you still practicing law?

I'd like to also welcome you back! - This is truly like watching someone rise from the dead!

I'll drink to your return!
img_445238_0_890d17e68cdcb2038fb144639a0df7ff.gif

Welcome back Bob_Smith! As everyone else has said, we were concerned that you had passed over. Very happy to see that our fears were unfounded. :)

Ha (aka Mikey)

Delighted to say Hi to you, Bob. I was also lurking when you were last around. I missed your shoes ;)

Bob, good to see you back and I'm glad all is well with you.

Attachments

• smileytoast.gif
    smileytoast.gif
    531 bytes · Views: 198
I was also a lurker during your prior enlistment. Glad you're back and hope you stay around. I like your retirement attitude, not worrying about the future and just letting investments do the work.

Welcome back, Bob! The remodel sounds interesting ... perhaps you can post some photos someday.

Bob_Smith said:
Thanks Martha. All of the people you mention are heavy hitters. Is Jarhead still here? Or Charlie? Are you still practicing law?

Jarhead has been here less and less. He did stop by for a visit not long ago. Charlie has mostly left, but once in a rare while he does stop by.

I figured I would be retired by now, but still practicing part time. I work less and less all the time, so I guess I am doing the slow fade.

I just thought I would join in on all the fun and say welcome back also.......Welcome Back Bob!

As one of your many fans, Bob, I'm very glad to see you back!

Glad to know your retirement, despite some tough times, is working out so well.

Thank you for letting us know you and your family are OK...

astromeria said:
Delighted to say Hi to you, Bob. I was also lurking when you were last around. I missed your shoes ;)

Haha! I TOO missed your shoes... and your insights.

And stick around... I don't like MIA Iowans. What beautiful weather we've had here in the last week. Short-lived, I'm sure, but I'll take what I can get.

Welcome back, Bob_Smith, and Mabuhay! --> (Filipino for Long Live!)

It is really good to hear from you Bob Smith. I'm on one of my many retirmeent adventures. After a great day hiking and exploring in the sun, I thought I would check in to see what was going on with the ER crowd. It's a great plus to hear from you again. Hope you find some time to check in on us once in awhile.

:D :D :D

Welcome back Bob_Smith. I too missed you. I can't spend too much time here this morning because I have to go to work... Actually I've volunteered to help hang holiday lights in the park. My life has changed greatly too. Imagine me having been too busy to do anything but work for the past 30 years, volunteering to do something... for free! I'm a happy guy... and you had something to do with it. Gotta go Wanta go :D

BUM

Ditto

Let me add my voice to the chorus - welcome back Bob.

heh heh heh

I think that I was lurking also at that time, but I also enjoyed your posts. I am glad to hear that retirement is going so great for you. Welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom