Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since you liked non-fiction, and now want to try fiction with in-depth characters: James Michener's books may be perfect. Chesapeake, Centennial, and The Covenant were my favorites.
As Michener described his books, they are "faction," novels based on history. Background is factual, the characters and underlying story line fiction.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #22

"Middle Brow, character driven" and very good describes "The Martian." I read it last weekend after hesitating because of the movie tie-in. Sucked me in quite quickly.

It is Sci-Fi, but more mechanical engineer as Robinson Crusoe.

I've been delving into some of the Classics as well (Free from gutenberg.org): Dumas, Conrad, Twain, Mary Shelley, etc.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Defending Jacob by William Landay. I enjoy reading John Grisham's books about our legal system, and I read an interview with him. He was asked if he had ever read a book that he wished he had written...and his reply was "Defending Jacob". It is a stunner.

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure is also outstanding. Set in Nazi held Paris during WWII, this story is largely about the Vichy French and search for jews in Paris. A hard read at times, but very well written and great story.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #24

Thank you, folks. Appreciate the suggestions. I've written them down, and I'm off to do some research at amazon. I'll check out that monster thread, too.

I don't watch TV or movies anymore, but I like a good story, and I've always loved books.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Ken Follett's triology "Winter of the World ""Fall of the giants " and "Edge of Eternity " . You can not put them down . They tell the sstory of several families starting with World War 1 through modern times .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #26

Timely thread. I'm looking for some evening fun reading while on vacation in Hawaii and on the plane. I'm headed to our local online library. I can borrow e-books on my Kindle. Saves money and that's what libraries are for!
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I have been reading survivalist books recently about life after an EMP type event.
"Lights Out" by David Crawford, not by Ted Koppel.

"Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles.
joesxm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #28

If you haven't read them, the classic British mysteries are great and never gruesome; Josephine Tey, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Wilkie Collins.

I find a lot of the "cozy" mysteries a little twee for my taste, but some of them can be amusing and are rarely gruesome. I like the ones that have historical settings; Rhys Bowen, Anne Perry, Alyssa Maxwell, and some others who aren't popping into my mind right now.

I've been reading the Charles Todd Inspector Rutledge mysteries this fall. They're set just after WWI and the inspector is struggling to hide his "cowardly" "shell shock" as he returns to Scotland Yard.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I suggest that you try Dune by Frank Herbert. If you like it, carry on with the series.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #30

Maybe not for the OP, but this sci-fi has some pretty good character development, and you can start the series for free:
https://www.amazon.com/Basilisk-Stat.../dp/B00ARPJBS0
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
Old Man's War series by John Scalzi

These are the top three that haven't been mentioned yet, but others to consider are Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, Mike Resnick, Brandon Sanderson, and Benedict Jacka, to name a few.
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrook View Post
Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman
Particularly liked Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, and have read Gaiman's Neverwhere several times, (before giving it to our eleven year old granddaughter)......the TV movie of the book wasn't half bad either:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
BTW- website literature-map.com, allows you to plug in an author you like and it will provide names of similar authors.
Hm. I was looking for other humor writers, so I plugged Dave Barry into that site. It suggested Jesus was a close match. Although I'm sure Dave would approve, I have read this Jesus fellow, and I didn't find his stuff all that funny.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #34

Here are some of my favorites:

11/22/63 by Stephen King - Fascinating! That guy can write & he doesn't insult your intelligence.

A Married Man by Piers Paul Read - a married barrister has an affair & the results are ... complicated. A meditation on religion, class & the consequences of choices in England in the 1970s.

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - One of my very favorites; when I finish it, I just want to start reading it all over again. Also about class, religion - and love. Just mesmerizing.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry -someone mentioned this, & I second it. Great characters & a very powerful story.

Washington Square by Henry James

Amsterdam by Ian McEwan - unforgettable!

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - what happens when rebels take over an embassy in a South American capital during a glittering concert and hold dozens of hostages (loosely based on an actual incident)

The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

And 2 nonfiction gems:
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow - I just finished this, and wow!!! This is a book that will stay with me for a long time. (The first 40 pages or so about his ancestors was a little slow going, but once Hamilton gets to New York there's no turning back.) Fascinating information and insights on every page.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #35

If you've never read it, Dracula by Bram Stoker is utterly engrossing and not at all difficult to read, even though it's considered "classic literature".

I also highly recommend the so-called Millenium trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and its sequels).
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Book Recommendations (fiction)?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Book Recommendations (fiction)?

This book is the first in a trilogy written by an excellent Chinese SF writer:

The Three Body Problem

Basically, advanced aliens on an unstable planet light years away decide to take over the Earth. They send a message to their willing dupes on Earth "We are coming to take your planet from you. We'll be there in 400 years."

By the way, the translation is excellent. No funny wording that hurts the ears of native speakers.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

The Penal Colony. Thoroughly enjoyed as a summer beach read....AND, if you grab it now the cost is $0.00 for kindle.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 AM   #38

I've been getting a kick out of The Monster Hunters Inc. series by Larry Corriera. I'd say it's aimed at teenage boys before they can drive (13-15). Might be a bit too low brow, and all but Four or five characters are very shallow, but the author treats science and ballistics with more respect than that Jack Reacher writer.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out author Nelson DeMille. His book "Night Fall" was one of my favorites. His John Corey character is hilarious if you enjoy a sarcastic, dry wit.

Some other older books that I always include in my favorites list are:

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Great book for animal lovers.

"The Truth Machine" by James Halperin. Very interesting premise that will make you think quite a bit.

“Flash Forward” by Robert J. Sawyer. Again - interesting premise.

“Replay” by Ken Grimwood.

"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett.

"State of Fear" by Michael Crichton.

Please be sure to let us know which of the many suggestions in this thread you enjoyed. I always appreciate the recommendations of others, and it will also help us to narrow down the list for you!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

If you want gritty, you can't beat James Ellroy:
https://www.jamesellroy.net/

Liza Marklund Liza Marklund Jo Nesbo Home - Jo Nesbo Kristina Ohlsson Kristina Ohlsson (Author of Unwanted)

Olen Steinhauer https://www.fictiondb.com/author/ole...auer~37371.htm

and Wessel Ebersohn Home - Wessel Ebersohn are all worth a look.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote