Join Early Retirement Today

Boomers working in the gig economy
Old 11-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boomers working in the gig economy

Boomers grinding it out in the gig economy, just like some millennials...

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...as-millennials

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m fond of my current “gig”... [emoji41]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I’m fond of my current “gig”... [emoji41]
Understatement of the year decade
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of gigs, when I was in the hospital last week after my hip replacement surgery, an older fellow (my age) came into my room and asked if I needed anything. At first, I thought he may have picked the wrong room as I didn't know who he was, so I asked. He said he was a volunteer here and was just getting things people needed when the nurse was not around. He got me a cup of coffee and then moved on. I didn't know old men my age (over 70) did nice things like that, and for free too (no "gig").
Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
... I didn't know old men my age (over 70) did nice things like that, and for free too (no "gig").
My former business partner is 82YO and still volunteering at a hospital a couple of days a week and AFIK still delivering Meals on Wheels.

At 72 I have been mentoring small businesses & startups with SCORE and deploying for disaster recovery with the Red Cross. Two hurricanes and flash floods in the last 12 months/ 5 weeks total. Red Cross, in particular, has a huge range of volunteer opportunities. https://www.redcross.org/volunteer/v...rtunities.html Despite some of the bad publicity they have had, I have found it to be a very well run outfit.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've enjoyed my pet sitting gigs. They paid for my new garage doors and a retaining wall, plus I could put money into my IRA, plus could deduct some portion of health insurance premiums.

Not feeling like doing it right now, might pick it up again in the future, and that is another beautiful thing about gig type employment.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Thank you for your derision. It makes me a better person.

I lost interest in the article when I came across this:

Quote:
“But you could put a racist, traditional Boomer in an Uber all day, and they’d just aggravate their passengers.”
I enjoy receiving gratuitous insults as much as the next guy, but I have something else to do right now.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The gig economy can work pretty well for someone who is "semi-retired" in the sense that they no longer need a full time j*b, but want to earn a few bucks and/or stay busy with something once in a while where they have some control over the work they take, and the amount and hours of it.

It doesn't work as well for someone who needs a reliable full-time income stream and benefits.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...as-millennials

Watch the video about the AirBNB couple in their 80's in CA whose house is under the Hollywood sign. Makes me wish I had some reason to stay at their house.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #10

I remember my airport shuttle driver mentioning he was a retired corner back...I almost asked what his name was...but then my mind went to the place this ER forum so typically goes..wait a sec, how are you retired AND driving a bus for income. But then my mind was like "Well he didn't say he was FI"...but he did say a retired Corner Back...from the NFL...and driving an airport shuttle bus in West Palm Beach... something didn't add up.

Then I started joking to my wife about how I could be a shuttle driver in 11 years when I "RETIRE" but then I thought of all the risks with that...and likely the fact that job might be automated away someday....well it already kinda is with trams.

Anywho, back to the "gig" econmy bit... I feel the best "gig"of all, is to have none at all lol .
Old 11-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently a lot of retirees do enjoy having a side gig of some kind.

F loves his gig at the bar, anyway, which is usually only about 4-5 hours/night on Friday and Saturday nights. He also likes having the extra "fun money" even though it isn't much, and he enjoys getting out of the house.

As for me, I wouldn't take on a gig for all the tea in China, but then if the two of us were identical in all respects probably life would get boring at some point.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Apparently a lot of retirees do enjoy having a side gig of some kind.

As for me, I wouldn't take on a gig for all the tea in China, but then if the two of us were identical in all respects probably life would get boring at some point.

+1
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #13

Yep, some older people have part time jobs too.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote