Join Early Retirement Today

Boozing in Britain? I am shocked!!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boozing in Britain? I am shocked!!

An interesting article on alcohol abuse among the the UK's members of Parliament. Having seen a number of British movies and TV shows over the past years, I must say they always seem to have a drink in hand or near by.

Excite News - Boozing of British lawmakers under review

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess you have never seen the TV show Madmen.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

What is there to "review"? If it's a legal product, they are of legal drinking age and they aren't doing anything illegal under its influence, it seems to me that the only recourse would be for the people to vote them out if they don't approve of it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Lol, with our penchant for arresting and incarcerating everyone, could you tell, it's not America? In this country, I could see this lawmaker being berated, arrested, charged, censored on the floor, forced to apologize and made to spend time in prison. No wonder we have the 20% of the world's prisoners but 5% of the population, even more than China.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What is there to "review"? If it's a legal product, they are of legal drinking age and they aren't doing anything illegal under its influence, it seems to me that the only recourse would be for the people to vote them out if they don't approve of it.
The UK budget last week included the latest attempt to curb binge drinking in the UK by setting a minimum price/unit below which stores cannot sell alcohol - ie, they now cannot sell alcohol at subsidized prices.

Given the continued push by lawmakers to cut down on drinking, it just doesn't right to many that in the government workplace, (Houses of Parliament), there are literally dozens of bars selling alcohol at subsidized prices. Those subsidies of course will come from the taxpayer.

I think the voters would either like a better example from the lawmakers, or for them to stop messing with the drinking habits of everyone except themselves.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

Actually noting new with the UK campaign. I recall reading that Llyod George thought alcohol was a greater threat to the UK than the Germans in WWI, so he introduced the bizarre hours for pubs in the UK. It is just like the push in the US at the same time for the prohibition amendment (all be it in the US it was also to get at the german immigrants and the evil folks from the big cities who were going to ruin the country)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Given the continued push by lawmakers to cut down on drinking, it just doesn't right to many that in the government workplace, (Houses of Parliament), there are literally dozens of bars selling alcohol at subsidized prices. Those subsidies of course will come from the taxpayer.

I think the voters would either like a better example from the lawmakers, or for them to stop messing with the drinking habits of everyone except themselves.
Exactly. In either case, IMO, I think it's on the voters -- whether to insist that the lawmakers temper their indulgences or level the playing field. Yet I suspect UK politics are enough like American politics that there's a shared feeling of "our legislature sucks and they all need to be voted out -- except for mine"...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #8

Ahhh... the two tier system of entitled politicos and the "rest of us" who pay for their subsidies. It wasn't long ago that they closed (at least temporarily) the liquor store at the Canadian houses of parliament in Ottawa. You know, where members of parliament and their staff could buy Tax Free alcohol for their "offices"
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote