Join Early Retirement Today

Borax in laundry…
Old 07-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Borax in laundry…

…in the category of too soon old, too late smart - I finally “discovered” the benefit of Borax or baking soda in laundry. Just adding a third to half cup of either directly gets clothes, towels, sheets, etc. noticeably cleaner and fresher than detergent alone. With white vinegar in the rinse, I’ve finally perfected doing laundry - only took 68 years to learn.

Same feeling we had “discovering” linen sheets a few years back. We’ll never go back to cotton, though I’m well aware some folks consciously prefer cotton or other fabrics.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

After all, you have the power of 20 mules behind it.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I just started adding baking soda to the laundry, too, along with some essential oils. The Environmental Working Group says borax isn't so healthy - Borax: Not the green alternative it's cracked up to be | Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Think you want Sodium Carbonate, not Sodium Bicarbonate - or better still; I used Sodium Percarbonate to good effect over a 4 month stretch down south - noticeably
whiter T-shirts. Here's an article I saved that has several good options for cleaning - saved because I wouldn't remember Sodium Percarbonate or soda ash.

https://www.creators.com/read/everyd...ut-way-cheaper
Old 07-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I add a handful of TSP to each laundry load since the government made the manufacturers take phosphates out of laundry detergent. I also run a second rinse cycle (simple button option to push) to make sure my clothes don't retain any soap that's holding dirt.
I have a front loader LG washer and found a video how to set the water level. Now when my clothes are being washed, the water comes up to the bottom of the window in the door, there's actual water to agitate the laundry where-as before, it was water starved during wash and rinse.
Those 3 things;
Set water level higher than factory
Run a second rinse cycle
Use TSP with every load

I'll give Borax a try next.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #6

Holy crap! Add TSP to laundry... you truly are Mr. Clean.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't understand. If adding borax or baking soda makes such a noticeable difference, why wouldn't the big companies do this? They are all competing over who cleans the best, it's worth big bucks to them. I dunno, but it kinda sounds like the 100 mpg carburetor claims.

If it took some special procedure that the average person, like a pre-soak, or adding it at a certain time, then I could see why the big companies might steer away, they figure the average customer wants simple.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I just started adding baking soda to the laundry, too, along with some essential oils. The Environmental Working Group says borax isn't so healthy - Borax: Not the green alternative it's cracked up to be | Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
We try to be green within reason so I’d already read up on Borax before using it, and your link notes “Borax can be irritating when exposure occurs through skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion.” Since I’m not going to eat, breathe or get it on me at all - I don’t see it as unsafe for laundry. I can see it might be a concern with personal care products, silly putty, slime, pesticides and some cleaning applications - but much less so if at all for laundry where it’s easy to avoid exposure. I got the Borax from a neighbor who moved, and mixed it with the baking soda I was already using. I may just go back to baking soda when the Borax is gone, though Borax seemed even more effective. Thanks.

Ironic you can find lots of websites that advocate making your own safe, green laundry detergent with Borax as an ingredient. More evidence you can find anything you want on the internet…common sense required.

One of dozens https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-mak...ergent-1387952

And TSP as a laundry add is also controversial to some. “Since 2010, states have increasingly started to ban household cleaning products that contain phosphates as this chemical has been linked to water-fouling and toxic algae growth that can kill aquatic wildlife.”

Old 07-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Holy crap! Add TSP to laundry... you truly are Mr. Clean.
I buy it at Home Depot in the paint department. From their website:
Home Depot. "T.S.P. in powder form is a versatile, effective cleaner that works on everything from laundry to garage floors. Known for years by professional painters as an excellent grease remover from walls, T.S.P. is a household necessity.

Modern laundry soap is loaded with fragrance to cover the smell of odors and dirt they are unable to completely remove. Add about 1/4 cup of TSP to each load-- a little more if you're doing a grungy load. Over time colors, and whites-turned-gray, do regain some brightness, and new whites stay white.

As an added bonus, our front load washing machine no longer has that musty odor they all get.

I also add some to the dishwasher. That milky film on glass goes away and my glasses are not crystal clear again.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I like Borax. A lot. I tried vinegar, extra hot water, etc, but once towels/shirts get the mildew kind of smell (the smell you get in towels that were kept damp too long, sweaty shirts that didn't get washed right away), Borox seems to be the only thing (that I found) that can get rid of the smell reliably. Without it, we'd have many towels/shirts we'd have to throw away.

Does baking soda work the same way? I feel like I've used it along with vinegar and didn't have any effect on the smell...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Borax can also be used as a flux when brazing or silver soldering.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I like Borax. A lot. I tried vinegar, extra hot water, etc, but once towels/shirts get the mildew kind of smell (the smell you get in towels that were kept damp too long, sweaty shirts that didn't get washed right away), Borox seems to be the only thing (that I found) that can get rid of the smell reliably. Without it, we'd have many towels/shirts we'd have to throw away.

Does baking soda work the same way? I feel like I've used it along with vinegar and didn't have any effect on the smell...
You could try adding essential oils to baking soda. Many of them have research backed studies showing they kill mold and mildew: "Comparing the anti-mildew activities of the oils suggested that wood oil was the most effective. - Chemical composition and anti-mildew activities of essential oils from different parts of Michelia compressa var.formosana - PubMed (nih.gov).

Amazon has an assortment of food grade essential oils, including many wood oils, like cedar and pine.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I just started adding baking soda to the laundry, too, along with some essential oils. The Environmental Working Group says borax isn't so healthy - Borax: Not the green alternative it's cracked up to be https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/ne...its-cracked-be.
We try to be green within reason so I’d already read up on Borax before using it, and your link notes “Borax can be irritating when exposure occurs through skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion.” Since I’m not going to eat, breathe or get it on me at all - I don’t see it as unsafe for laundry. ...
Agreed, that site didn't really spell out hazards of using it in the laundry. That's a lot different from ingesting large quantities, or working in the borax factory for years and years, which may lead to x,y,z problem.

Heck, lots of GRAS designated (Generally Regarded As Safe) things we use are going to hurt you if you stick them in your eye, or ingest large quantities of it, or drop a pallet load on your toe.

-ERD50
Old 07-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've read baking soda is used and works the same way as Borax, Borax is just a little stronger (harsher-more alkaline). https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/bor...-soda-36852716

"Using inexpensive distilled white vinegar in laundry will whiten, brighten, reduce odor, and soften clothes without harsh chemicals." IME vinegar is not as effective for cleaning as baking soda or Borax - but I use vinegar in the rinse cycle to help rinse out soap residue primarily, to soften supposedly though I can't judge that. Maybe if I used vinegar in the wash cycle, but I've never tried that.

https://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/Vinegar_for_Laundry

Old 07-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've used Borax following homemade laundry detergent and laundry powder recipes.

Found that the amount called for in the recipe seems a bit too much. Made the clothing material prematurely wear out. Didn't know that after the first few washes, but soon after.

Not here to rain on the parade but as the saying goes YMMV.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Does baking soda work the same way? I feel like I've used it along with vinegar and didn't have any effect on the smell...
When you mix baking soda ( a base) with vinegar (an acid), the two pretty much cancel out and you are left with water.

No point in mixing them, other than a little foaming action as they eat each other up.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/vin...-myth-36880375

Quote:
Let’s start with the basics (literally). Baking soda is a base, and vinegar is an acid. When they’re combined, acids “donate” protons to bases; in this case, it’s acetic acid lending a hydrogen proton to the bicarbonate. When bicarbonate gains a hydrogen proton, it forms carbonic acid (or H2CO3) which is unstable and eventually decomposes. Once that happens you’re left with water, carbon dioxide, and acetate and sodium ions. The carbon dioxide gained in the reaction is what makes it bubbly, which looks appealing. But once the bubbles stop, you’re left with what Morris describes as “glorified water.”
-ERD50
Old 07-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've used Borax following homemade laundry detergent and laundry powder recipes.

Found that the amount called for in the recipe seems a bit too much. Made the clothing material prematurely wear out. Didn't know that after the first few washes, but soon after.

Not here to rain on the parade but as the saying goes YMMV.
+1. I was only adding 1/3rd cup where some online sites recommended 1/2 to 1 cup. But I am gathering I should use it less often, and maybe not with all load types. I was using it for sheets and towels only. But the improvement was readily apparent so I recently started putting it in all loads - think I will dial it back again, and maybe go back to baking soda instead of Borax. Good for towels (where our need & research began), then sheets, then whites, then other clothes if at all. Moderation in all things...

Old 07-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. I was only adding 1/3rd cup where some online sites recommended 1/2 to 1 cup. But I am gathering I should use it less often, and maybe not with all load types. I was using it for sheets and towels only. But the improvement was readily apparent so I recently started putting it in all loads - think I will dial it back again, and maybe go back to baking soda instead of Borax. Moderation in all things...
I'm not exactly sure what's the proper proportions to use. When I did follow the recipe I used, I noticed to how T-shirts came out nice and clean. Before long, I noticed the fabric started to break apart around the collar area, also underpants around the elastic.

My approach now is I use the homemade for stuff like bath towels. But am hesitant to use a clothes I value.

I don't have to recipe with me at the moment, I think called for Borax along with washing soda and grated regular soap mixed in boiled water for the detergent. Minus the water for powder.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Another bonus from wood essential oils is you can get some of the benefits of forest bathing without the actual forest - "If we want to know if the magic ingredient is the fragrance of the forest, then let’s see if we can get that same boost in natural killer cell activity just vaporizing some essential oil from one of the trees into a hotel room overnight. And it worked! A significant boost in natural killer cell activity; though it just boosted their activity, rather than their number, and being in the actual forest can do both. Why Does Forest Bathing Boost Natural Killer Cell Function? (nutritionfacts.org)

We have a tree lined canyon near our house with hiking trails and scattered benches. We like to go there to hike and take breaks on the benches and just soak up the forest smells. But we can't get there every day, so some wood essential oils in the laundry and cleaning products seem like a healthy thing to do.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't understand. If adding borax or baking soda makes such a noticeable difference, why wouldn't the big companies do this? They are all competing over who cleans the best, it's worth big bucks to them. I dunno, but it kinda sounds like the 100 mpg carburetor claims.
-ERD50
Many laundry detergents do come with an 'oxi' version for extra cleaning (so they claim), my understanding is oxi contains baking soda and other ingredients.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote